+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Scripts Thread, Kids keep disconnecting the LAN cable ! in Coding and Web Development; right, this is my first block i've met and I have battled with it for a long time basically, i ...

Thank Post

Post Kids keep disconnecting the LAN cable !

right, this is my first block i've met and I have battled with it for a long time
    basically, i want a script that logs the computer off when the LAN connection to my server is stopped (and incidentally saving username, time and any open programs), cause the students keep removing the LAN cable and are then unable to reconnect to the network, and consequently unable to save then they have a need for me to keep coming and reconnect them and save their work to my laptop as we log them off and re log the in! this is getting a real pain as im still struggling to repair what the previous admin has left behind!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WARLORDTF View Post
    right, this is my first block i've met and I have battled with it for a long time
    basically, i want a script that logs the computer off when the LAN connection to my server is stopped (and incidentally saving username, time and any open programs), cause the students keep removing the LAN cable and are then unable to reconnect to the network, and consequently unable to save then they have a need for me to keep coming and reconnect them and save their work to my laptop as we log them off and re log the in! this is getting a real pain as im still struggling to repair what the previous admin has left behind!
    First of all, stop doing this!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mortstar View Post
    First of all, stop doing this!
    when i say 'my laptop' i mean a guest logged school laptop XD (im quite possesive) XD

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,618 Times in 1,448 Posts
    Still don't do it though.

If disconnecting the connection means they can't save then it's their own fault.

Plus it's classroom management that's required not a technical solution.

Ben

Thank Post
    I think the point he was making is that by saving their work constantly doesn't address the actual problem which is pupils pulling the cables out. If you tell them that the work they have done will be lost because they haven't checked that the network is available maybe the pupils will be a bit more carefull when they log on.

Train the teacher to advise the pupils to check that they are logged on properly BEFORE they start doing any work and if there is a problem, they can log off and on again without lossing work and without creating more work for you. I dont see it as a technical problem, but more as a behaviour problem.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    Interesting little program thinking about it - setup a loop that monitors a connection - [ say with a ping every 10 seconds ] then if the ping fails, log the username, machine & time and dump it to a log file on the local PC......
    Quite straight forward to do with AutoIT - something similar to my no ping script.....
    Too busy at the moment though.....maybe in future.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 974 Posts
    Think there is a group policy that you can apply that will stop them from logging in should the network cable be unplugged but not sure if that applies before they log out whilst there logged in or before they are logged in.

But mutual feelings with suggestions above as in don't do it if they are un plugging the network connection and losing work then its there own doing

Thank Post
    Just a stab in the dark, but would using super mandatory profiles (Mandatory User Profiles) help? Or maybe this thread- students unplugging network cable

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,618 Times in 1,448 Posts
    If there is no network connection to a pc here pupils cannot log on at all.

If they log on and then unplug the cable that's their look out.

Ben

Thank Post
    If you cut the little tab shorter on the RJ45 plugs, they can't get them out. Sure it means you need a little screwdriver in order to do it yourself, but it saves a lot of hassle - we do that on some of our PCs here.

But has been said, it's a classroom control and discipline problem, and not a technical one, raise it with you line manager and make it quite clear that you won't be going out of your way to rescue kids work if they do this.

Mike.

11. 5 Thanks to maniac:

Coopeh (7th March 2011), jdavies (7th January 2011), JJanisch (30th April 2012), mac_shinobi (17th February 2012), rad (11th September 2009)

PEO
    Thank Post
    Its all about the circle of trust

Thank Post
    thanks guys, the link to the other forum had a VBS on it. and yes i shall badger the staff, but even though the teachers get paid 10x what i do they still expect me to do thei menial tasks :S

rad
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maniac View Post
    If you cut the little tab shorter on the RJ45 plugs, they can't get them out. Sure it means you need a little screwdriver in order to do it yourself, but it saves a lot of hassle - we do that on some of our PCs here.

Mike.
    Cool idea, might do that on some of mine, hate been called cos the kiddy winks have doen this.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    Interesting little program thinking about it - setup a loop that monitors a connection - [ say with a ping every 10 seconds ] then if the ping fails, log the username, machine & time and dump it to a log file on the local PC......
    Quite straight forward to do with AutoIT - something similar to my no ping script.....
    Too busy at the moment though.....maybe in future.
    PRobably entirely naive of me... but rather than flooding your network with ping traffic... why not wait for the network card to tell you its been disconnected?.

Incidentally... as a whole, with a generic software solution you may end up annoying a LOT of people should whatever you chose to ping, or a switch etc have a mini-fit that you could fix before the end of a lesson...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPerceptron View Post
    PRobably entirely naive of me... but rather than flooding your network with ping traffic... why not wait for the network card to tell you its been disconnected?.

Incidentally... as a whole, with a generic software solution you may end up annoying a LOT of people should whatever you chose to ping, or a switch etc have a mini-fit that you could fix before the end of a lesson...
    Ping traffic causing a flood ? 32 bytes ? Errrrrrrrr - don't think so.

I'm all for the card having the facility, but if not, then knocking something up in a script is much more fun.
    Last edited by mattx; 12th September 2009 at 11:36 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast