+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Scripts Thread, Kids keep disconnecting the LAN cable ! in Coding and Web Development; PRobably entirely naive of me... <snip> ...why not wait for the network card to tell you its been disconnected? That's ...

Thank Post
    PRobably entirely naive of me... <snip> ...why not wait for the network card to tell you its been disconnected?
    That's actually the right question for the right reasons, but it inevitably requires real code to do it that way, although not very much.

Your event handler would essentially be waiting for Windows to tell you about the network status changing i.e. half the point of the OS is as an abstraction layer to save you having to care about how this or that vendor's hardware does things.

Thank Post
    we have a script which looks for the student home drive and if it can not find it they get a message and are logged off after 6 seconds. pm me if you want a copy of it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maniac View Post
    If you cut the little tab shorter on the RJ45 plugs, they can't get them out. Sure it means you need a little screwdriver in order to do it yourself, but it saves a lot of hassle - we do that on some of our PCs here.

But has been said, it's a classroom control and discipline problem, and not a technical one, raise it with you line manager and make it quite clear that you won't be going out of your way to rescue kids work if they do this.

Mike.
    The thing to watch if the tab goes is that it makes it possible to force the connector in the wrong way and it knackers the socket. I've had it happen, luckily on a port so it was easy to replace, but I now regularly check plugs for broken tabs and replace them.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by smadison View Post
    we have a script which looks for the student home drive and if it can not find it they get a message and are logged off after 6 seconds. pm me if you want a copy of it.
    Can you post the script here please?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    The thing to watch if the tab goes is that it makes it possible to force the connector in the wrong way and it knackers the socket. I've had it happen, luckily on a port so it was easy to replace, but I now regularly check plugs for broken tabs and replace them.
    We don't cut it off completely, just the long tail. If you look at them carefully, you can see the bit which actually clips it into the socket, cut it down to this and it still clips in firmly, but you can't get it out without a small screwdriver. It actually makes them less likely to be broken off completely as well, as they don't stick out so much.

Mike.

Thank Post
    the tab cutting idea is good but not really the best option for a school with 500+ computers and i basically dont want to ruin about 1200 LAN cable heads thankies

Thank Post
    If you cut the little tab shorter on the RJ45 plugs, they can't get them out. Sure it means you need a little screwdriver in order to do it yourself, but it saves a lot of hassle - we do that on some of our PCs here.

But has been said, it's a classroom control and discipline problem, and not a technical one, raise it with you line manager and make it quite clear that you won't be going out of your way to rescue kids work if they do this.

Mike.
    Well done sir, Just tried this in our office and we're going to try it out in the classrooms as of next week. Only issue we'll have now is if they start yanking the ports off the wall. If they do that however a charge will be going home with said students

Thank Post
    Drill two holes about 3mm diameter into the faceplate about 6-10 mm apart close to the socket (but not into the module itself). You can then run a thin cable tie through to clamp the cable in place. With no free play on the cable, the plug cannot be disconnected.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jdavies View Post
    Well done sir, Just tried this in our office and we're going to try it out in the classrooms as of next week. Only issue we'll have now is if they start yanking the ports off the wall. If they do that however a charge will be going home with said students
    Sadly from time to time this does happen, but it's much less of a problem than kids disconnecting the cables. Actually in our newer ICT suites I had the dado trunking deliberately put below table height so all the plugs and network sockets are under the table tucked out of the way. We still ocassionally get the odd cable un-plugged but not that frequently.

Sadly for our new building because of some nonsense regulation of some sort, the dado trunking has to go at a certain height so it's back to the same problems we had before because all the sockets will be above desk height again, never mind.

Mike.

Thank Post
    This maybe going to the extreme, but we have cut a bit of the clip off so that kids cannot disconnect the cables, the cable remains "locked" in the socket and we can still get to them with a slotted screw driver. Since doing this, not a single problem.

Thank Post
    This has been a problem for us for years, we installed Impero class room management last summer and this has a feature that locks the screen when it detects that a network is not available.

The problems with getting the PC to shut down is that if you have a switch failure then the it will log all of the students off.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo343 View Post
    This maybe going to the extreme, but we have cut a bit of the clip off so that kids cannot disconnect the cables, the cable remains "locked" in the socket and we can still get to them with a slotted screw driver. Since doing this, not a single problem.
    Someone hasn't read the whole thread lol

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,591 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Someone hasn't read the whole thread lol
    Someone else hasn't realised this thread is 2 years old.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    Someone else hasn't realised this thread is 2 years old.
    Its still a problem though

Thank Post
    OK firstly I apologise for re-opening this thread again!!

I found the script that was discussed earlier in the thread but I cannot get it to work. I'm not very big on scripting so its probably something simple but I was hoping one of you would be able to help me out??

I have attached the script to this post. I get an error on line 38 character 1 and it just has error code 0xFFFFFFFF I can't see anything obviously wrong.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    Attached Files Attached Files

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast