+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 36
Scripts Thread, Kids keep disconnecting the LAN cable ! in Coding and Web Development; PRobably entirely naive of me... <snip> ...why not wait for the network card to tell you its been disconnected? That's ...
  1. #16

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Surburbia
    Posts
    2,178
    Thank Post
    74
    Thanked 307 Times in 243 Posts
    Rep Power
    114
    PRobably entirely naive of me... <snip> ...why not wait for the network card to tell you its been disconnected?
    That's actually the right question for the right reasons, but it inevitably requires real code to do it that way, although not very much.

    Your event handler would essentially be waiting for Windows to tell you about the network status changing i.e. half the point of the OS is as an abstraction layer to save you having to care about how this or that vendor's hardware does things.

  2. #17
    smadison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    100
    Thank Post
    2
    Thanked 30 Times in 25 Posts
    Rep Power
    19
    we have a script which looks for the student home drive and if it can not find it they get a message and are logged off after 6 seconds. pm me if you want a copy of it.

  3. #18


    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,135
    Thank Post
    1,307
    Thanked 808 Times in 513 Posts
    Rep Power
    632
    Quote Originally Posted by maniac View Post
    If you cut the little tab shorter on the RJ45 plugs, they can't get them out. Sure it means you need a little screwdriver in order to do it yourself, but it saves a lot of hassle - we do that on some of our PCs here.

    But has been said, it's a classroom control and discipline problem, and not a technical one, raise it with you line manager and make it quite clear that you won't be going out of your way to rescue kids work if they do this.

    Mike.
    The thing to watch if the tab goes is that it makes it possible to force the connector in the wrong way and it knackers the socket. I've had it happen, luckily on a port so it was easy to replace, but I now regularly check plugs for broken tabs and replace them.

  4. #19

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    291
    Thank Post
    64
    Thanked 21 Times in 20 Posts
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by smadison View Post
    we have a script which looks for the student home drive and if it can not find it they get a message and are logged off after 6 seconds. pm me if you want a copy of it.
    Can you post the script here please?

  5. #20

    maniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    3,037
    Thank Post
    209
    Thanked 425 Times in 306 Posts
    Rep Power
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    The thing to watch if the tab goes is that it makes it possible to force the connector in the wrong way and it knackers the socket. I've had it happen, luckily on a port so it was easy to replace, but I now regularly check plugs for broken tabs and replace them.
    We don't cut it off completely, just the long tail. If you look at them carefully, you can see the bit which actually clips it into the socket, cut it down to this and it still clips in firmly, but you can't get it out without a small screwdriver. It actually makes them less likely to be broken off completely as well, as they don't stick out so much.

    Mike.

  6. #21

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Walsall
    Posts
    4
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    the tab cutting idea is good but not really the best option for a school with 500+ computers and i basically dont want to ruin about 1200 LAN cable heads thankies

  7. #22

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Blackpool
    Posts
    11
    Thank Post
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by maniac View Post
    If you cut the little tab shorter on the RJ45 plugs, they can't get them out. Sure it means you need a little screwdriver in order to do it yourself, but it saves a lot of hassle - we do that on some of our PCs here.

    But has been said, it's a classroom control and discipline problem, and not a technical one, raise it with you line manager and make it quite clear that you won't be going out of your way to rescue kids work if they do this.

    Mike.
    Well done sir, Just tried this in our office and we're going to try it out in the classrooms as of next week. Only issue we'll have now is if they start yanking the ports off the wall. If they do that however a charge will be going home with said students

  8. #23

    HarryMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Milton Keynes
    Posts
    1,065
    Thank Post
    50
    Thanked 196 Times in 148 Posts
    Rep Power
    169
    Drill two holes about 3mm diameter into the faceplate about 6-10 mm apart close to the socket (but not into the module itself). You can then run a thin cable tie through to clamp the cable in place. With no free play on the cable, the plug cannot be disconnected.

  9. #24

    maniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    3,037
    Thank Post
    209
    Thanked 425 Times in 306 Posts
    Rep Power
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by jdavies View Post
    Well done sir, Just tried this in our office and we're going to try it out in the classrooms as of next week. Only issue we'll have now is if they start yanking the ports off the wall. If they do that however a charge will be going home with said students
    Sadly from time to time this does happen, but it's much less of a problem than kids disconnecting the cables. Actually in our newer ICT suites I had the dado trunking deliberately put below table height so all the plugs and network sockets are under the table tucked out of the way. We still ocassionally get the odd cable un-plugged but not that frequently.

    Sadly for our new building because of some nonsense regulation of some sort, the dado trunking has to go at a certain height so it's back to the same problems we had before because all the sockets will be above desk height again, never mind.

    Mike.

  10. #25
    timbo343's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Leeds/York area, North Yorkshire
    Posts
    2,772
    Thank Post
    251
    Thanked 220 Times in 168 Posts
    Rep Power
    87
    This maybe going to the extreme, but we have cut a bit of the clip off so that kids cannot disconnect the cables, the cable remains "locked" in the socket and we can still get to them with a slotted screw driver. Since doing this, not a single problem.

  11. #26
    Ashers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Basingstoke, Hampshire
    Posts
    69
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Rep Power
    15
    This has been a problem for us for years, we installed Impero class room management last summer and this has a feature that locks the screen when it detects that a network is not available.

    The problems with getting the PC to shut down is that if you have a switch failure then the it will log all of the students off.

  12. #27

    maniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    3,037
    Thank Post
    209
    Thanked 425 Times in 306 Posts
    Rep Power
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo343 View Post
    This maybe going to the extreme, but we have cut a bit of the clip off so that kids cannot disconnect the cables, the cable remains "locked" in the socket and we can still get to them with a slotted screw driver. Since doing this, not a single problem.
    Someone hasn't read the whole thread lol

  13. #28

    X-13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    /dev/null
    Posts
    8,004
    Thank Post
    508
    Thanked 1,591 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Blog Entries
    19
    Rep Power
    700
    Quote Originally Posted by maniac View Post
    Someone hasn't read the whole thread lol
    Someone else hasn't realised this thread is 2 years old.

  14. #29

    SpuffMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,192
    Thank Post
    53
    Thanked 270 Times in 178 Posts
    Rep Power
    131
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    Someone else hasn't realised this thread is 2 years old.
    Its still a problem though

  15. #30

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    63
    Thank Post
    7
    Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
    Rep Power
    18
    OK firstly I apologise for re-opening this thread again!!

    I found the script that was discussed earlier in the thread but I cannot get it to work. I'm not very big on scripting so its probably something simple but I was hoping one of you would be able to help me out??

    I have attached the script to this post. I get an error on line 38 character 1 and it just has error code 0xFFFFFFFF I can't see anything obviously wrong.

    Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    Attached Files Attached Files

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2nd November 2008, 08:59 PM
  2. Wireless connection keeps disconnecting
    By callumtuckey in forum Wireless Networks
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 27th June 2007, 07:32 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •