+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Scripts Thread, Script to populate AD fields in Coding and Web Development; Originally Posted by kmount Definitely one for the toolkit guys yeah - been using the password reset tool for quite ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 1,014 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kmount View Post
    Definitely one for the toolkit guys
    yeah - been using the password reset tool for quite some time - used to use it at the kingswood school when i was working there not sure if they still use it

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,799 Times in 1,550 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quick Question.

I have exported all the kids into excel. If i change the order of them of how they appear in excel how will this effect it when import it back in?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanks for the vote of confidence in my software.

Performing Bulk Updates to Activie Directory always has an element of risk associated with it. Regardless of the software/script you use, test the update in a qa environment first and also have a recent backup of your directory database when performing the update in your live environment. The rollback feature in Bulk AD Users provides an additional level of protection making it unlikely that you would need to perform an authoritative restore.

I agree with the first suggestion about using the Edit In Excel feature to perform the update. You should be able to use a formula in Excel to extract the firstname/surname - something like this:

=MID(A1,1,FIND(" ",A1,1)-1)
    =MID(A1,FIND(" ",A1,1)+1,LEN(A1))

(Replace A1 with the cell containing the full name)

There formula just splits the first name and surname based on the first space character - you might need to review the data after applying the formula to all rows to ensure that there are no anomalies.

Good luck.

4. 2 Thanks to Wiseman82:

FN-GM (29th July 2009), kmount (29th July 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseman82 View Post
    Thanks for the vote of confidence in my software.

Performing Bulk Updates to Activie Directory always has an element of risk associated with it. Regardless of the software/script you use, test the update in a qa environment first and also have a recent backup of your directory database when performing the update in your live environment. The rollback feature in Bulk AD Users provides an additional level of protection making it unlikely that you would need to perform an authoritative restore.

I agree with the first suggestion about using the Edit In Excel feature to perform the update. You should be able to use a formula in Excel to extract the firstname/surname - something like this:

=MID(A1,1,FIND(" ",A1,1)-1)
    =MID(A1,FIND(" ",A1,1)+1,LEN(A1))

(Replace A1 with the cell containing the full name)

There formula just splits the first name and surname based on the first space character - you might need to review the data after applying the formula to all rows to ensure that there are no anomalies.

Good luck.
    Thanks i managed Excel after going through help.

I am going to upload when the NM comes back to be double sure.

Nice software, rep points for you!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    Quick Question.

I have exported all the kids into excel. If i change the order of them of how they appear in excel how will this effect it when import it back in?

Thanks
    The Edit In Excel feature uses the ADsPath column to bind to user accounts in AD. The order of the rows are not important.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks, when i import this back over its not going to reset the passwords or anything will it?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    Thanks, when i import this back over its not going to reset the passwords or anything will it?

Thanks
    No, you would need to explicitly ask for the passwords to be changed.

The old version of "Edit In Excel" (The one that was part of Password Control) used to update all attributes in the Excel sheet if the value was different to what is stored in AD. This had a greater chance of you overwriting another users update. The new version (Bulk AD Users) allows you to tell the application which attributes you have updated and only those specified will be updated.

Note: There is no update via Excel. Only "Edit In Excel" which takes the current contents of the grid and allows you to update in Excel. When you close and save the Excel file, the application will then ask you which columns you want to update. There is also a CSV Update tool included in the application which can also be used to perform updates.

I'm planning to extend the update features to any data source in future, but it will be a while before the next release.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12