+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Scripts Thread, script for joining wireless networks in Coding and Web Development; Unfortunately that Google search doesn't seem to find it anymore....

Thank Post
    Unfortunately that Google search doesn't seem to find it anymore.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,699 Times in 1,994 Posts
    I noticed that too, but luckily I managed to grab a copy.

You can download it from here, although I'm not sure if I got all the files.

Thank Post
    I'm busy fiddling with the Aruba WiFiCfg_XP tool, very nifty, adds the network etc, but for some reason it enables the "Connect even if this network is not broadcasting" option.
    Would this create problems if I have 5 or 6 WAPs installed?
    I.E. Will it pick up when there is an active one around?

Thank Post
    I haven't had any problems so far with WiFiCfg. It seems a bit easier to use compared to zwlancfg.

One minor thing I did notice was that if you are setting up multiple wireless networks using WiFiCfg on a laptop, the networks get added in reverse chronological order i.e. the network you setup last, is first in the list of wireless networks. I'm not sure if this matters much, but I think Windows does try connecting to them in order.

Thank Post
    Hey guys.
    1st of all, thanks for this post. It really fixed my problem.
    I've tried a VBS before this, but it didn't worked.

Now i'm here to ask help about a detail.
    I do work in a place , where we have multiple wireless networks.
    I've made a .bat file that adds all of 'em. But...windows keep switching between the networks.

Is there a way to set the "preferred network". Like...i'm on the 4th floor, i want it to stay connected to the 4th floor. I can make a simple C++ program(or BASIC programming) just to make this choice, this is no problem for me.

Thanks in advance, and i'm really anxious for a reply

Pablo.

Thank Post

Network connection order

I think you can specify the order of preferred networks under, Network Connections>Advanced>Advanced Settings>Connections:

I think this should allow you to specify a different network SSID to connect to first.

let me know if it works.

Thank Post
    Yeah i can.
    I know about this option.

I just wanted to make everything automatic.
    Look my situation: Someone knocks on the IT room (normally a student) asking to setup wireless config for him, so he can join the wireless network in the building (i do work in a college).

As there's one network in each floor, we setup a network as example and it always works.
    We were tryng to create a manner that students would have all wireless networks configured.

With WiFiCfg_XP we made it.
    But...wireless networks, keeps switching.
    I was doing some test in the IT room where we have an AP...everytime it switched to a different connection, no matter if the signal was too good or too bad. Got my point ?

Thats my problem, i would like it to keep connected to the highest signal network

Any hints ?
    Thanks

Pablo.

Thank Post
    Ok. Your problem is that you are using different SSIDs (i.e the network name that appears). When you set up a network with several SSIDs Windows will always try to connect to the one with highest priority, even if it's signal strength is weakest. Only when the highest priority network is completely out of range will Windows attempt to connect to the next one down.

Solution 1.
    Put signs in each room telling students which network they should connect to. They manually select that network (Not a good solution!).

Solution 2
    Make the SSID and password the same for all access points. Windows will automatically connect to the access point with highest signal strength. You will now only need to set up one network.

In addition, you should try to put the access points on different channels so they don't interfere - use channels 1, 6 and 11 - but try not to put two 1s or two 6s or two 11s within range of each other.

Solution 3
    Buy a managed wireless network – e.g. Ruckus, Aruba. You will have just one SSID and an access point controller will take care of all the channels and decide the best access point for clients to connect to. (e.g. The one with the strongest signal isn't always the best if has lots of users). These have the added advantage that they can sort out authentication for you – so, for example, users could authenticate using their active directory username and password or provide guest access. Managed solutions are very expensive though .

Solution 2 is the easiest to implement with no cost.

Thank Post
    Ah this makes sense now.

Very similar situation to me actually.

We have all our WAP's under the same SSID and still see this same problem. I think it's a problem with Windows (as in a bug), not anything to do with the WAP's or wireless setup on clients.

As far as I know you would need to use an app to manage your wireless networks on the client PC's in order to do this.

We cannot do this in our network because our boarding house students come in with their own laptops, which we cannot touch except for joining to the network.

Would be very interested to know if you find a resolution...

Cheers,

Blake

Thank Post
    TBH it would seem unlikely that it's a Windows bug - espcially in your environment where people are probably using different versions of windows, with different network cards (unless it's only affecting some users?). I've used the multi-ap one-ssid setup for years without any problems.
    Some network cards have problems - particularly if you log onto one AP then move. It will remain 'stuck' to a low signal AP, even when a stronger one is available. There is a setting that can sort that. Or, it could be a network card driver issue.
    I'd be tempted to check the usual, if you haven't already: AP Firmware.
    Alternatively, a crude way is to set which clients can connect to an AP using their MAC address. But you'd lose mobility as you'd have to know which clients should connect.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pablobhz View Post
    Yeah i can.
    That's my problem, I would like it to keep connected to the highest signal network
    This is what the 'roaming aggressiveness' option is for in the properties of the wireless driver isn't it?

http://www.dogmediasolutions.com/SON...ndows%20XP.pdf

Thank Post
    Hello.
    Well, there'll be no need to test solution 2 since our friend @Cowardlyduck did it and he said the problem persists. Windows keeps tryng to connect to a different network.

A variable i have in common with him, is that students bring their own laptops. We can't do much than just setup it for wireless connection.

"Alternatively, a crude way is to set which clients can connect to an AP using their MAC address. But you'd lose mobility as you'd have to know which clients should connect. "
    Think about how painful it would be to set each laptop, cell phone, iphone, whatever mac address to connect ! I prefer do don't think about it my brain hurts hehe
    Let me tell how things happens here.
    Some student brings his/her laptop ok.
    When it connects to one AP, the server gives him a IP address. The AP doesn't act as a DHCP server, there's a 2003 server (AD,DNS,DHCP,Printing services and some files) who gives to the laptop an IP address.
    Also, we setup a proxy for the student. (ERhm, there's a big WAN(across states) where i do work).

Those are my conditions here.
    But for now i decided to just leave things quietly...
    I just teach the student how to connect to wireless networks, tell him the default password and nothing more. I just wanted to make things easier for me and to 'em.

Thanks in advance, what i readed here gave me some nice ideas for the future.

Pablo.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pablobhz View Post
    Hello.
    Well, there'll be no need to test solution 2 since our friend @Cowardlyduck did it and he said the problem persists. Windows keeps tryng to connect to a different network.
    Up to you, but I can tell you that solution 2 does work. I've implemented it myself on several networks using a range of APs and a mix of clients. It's also a standard Edugeek solution to this problem - search the forums and you'll get several threads with the same idea. Just because it doesn't work for one person, doesn't mean it's not going to work for you.

In addition, you could set up Automatic Configuration for proxy, which would save you another job. Also it would mean that users don't need to switch settings between college and home. Search Google for WPAD.

Good luck.
    Last edited by eean; 11th September 2009 at 12:15 AM.

Thank Post

Re: Solution 2

Hello,

We have put this in (solution 2), we had a limited budget and this seemed to be the best way for us to go.

We put in Linksys WAP200E's, changed channels of points within close proximity and standardised all the AP's, we have noticed that people plugging in ad-hoc devices (which isn't allowed!!) it can kill our AP's... especially the Mac plug-in wall thingies.

We do have a few issues, mainly with the above and sometimes they do cut out randomly without us really knowing why, overall though for around £2000.00 we pretty much have full coverage of our school and nearly a 5th of the issues we did have... perfect for the 100 netbooks we're about to roll out >_<

This is a mini-hijack... with isolation on the APs it seems to resolve the issue with the ad-hoc APs that randomly emerge, it sometimes causes an issue with us having to manually double click the pre-setup connection, we check the details and all is OK (correct encryption, correct password as it's worked prior) - is this normal with isolation of APs?

Thank Post
    On a similar note, is there anything that connects to the best available Wireless Access Point?
    We have 3 points at the moment covering a rather heavily walled school, so even though they aren't too far away it makes a huge difference as to which point you can use effectively.
    By default I've set them to the middle area which allows connection to classrooms either side, but on a lower speed. Ideally I'd like something that picks up the best of the three at the time. I suppose I'm dreaming

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast