+ Post New Thread
Scripts Thread, installing network printer based on pc name in Coding and Web Development; Hi guys, I am trying to use the following logon script; IF %COMPUTERNAME:~0,3%==IT- rundll32 printui.dll PrintUIEntry /q /in /n "\appsserver\ICTLaser" ...

Thank Post

installing network printer based on pc name

Hi guys,

I am trying to use the following logon script;

IF %COMPUTERNAME:~0,3%==IT- rundll32 printui.dll PrintUIEntry /q /in /n "\\appsserver\ICTLaser"

IF %COMPUTERNAME:~0,3%==S5- rundll32 printui.dll PrintUIEntry /q /in /n "\\appsserver\S5Laser"

IF %COMPUTERNAME:~0,6%==MEDIA- rundll32 printui.dll PrintUIEntry /q /in /n "\\appsserver\MediaLaser" rundll32 printui.dll PrintUIEntry /q /in /n "\\appsserver\AdminLaser"

IF %COMPUTERNAME:~0,8%==LIBRARY- rundll32 printui.dll PrintUIEntry /q /in /n "\\appsserver\LibraryLaser"

IF %COMPUTERNAME:~0,11%==TECHNOLOGY- rundll32 printui.dll PrintUIEntry /q /in /n "\\appsserver\TechnologyLaser"

IF %COMPUTERNAME:~0,12%==LEARNINGSUP- rundll32 printui.dll PrintUIEntry /q /in /n "\\appsserver\S5Laser" rundll32 printui.dll PrintUIEntry /q /in /n "\\appsserver\StaffLaser"

IF %COMPUTERNAME:~0,10%==GEOGRAPHY- rundll32 printui.dll PrintUIEntry /q /in /n "\\appsserver\S5Laser"

This works great and installs the required printer based on the PC name that the user is logging on to. The only problem is that there is a 'installing printer' box. I would prefer it to install silently so that the pupils do not click on cancel. Can anyone help?

Thank Post
    The wiki is your friend Printer Addition Based on Location

3. Thanks to Diello from:

Ric_ (2nd December 2008)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dgardner View Post
    This works great and installs the required printer based on the PC name that the user is logging on to. The only problem is that there is a 'installing printer' box. I would prefer it to install silently so that the pupils do not click on cancel. Can anyone help?
    For some reason the printui.dll seems to ignore the /q which is meant to install the printer quietly.

Your best option for invisble installation is a proper scripting language like VB Script or KiXtart

Thank Post
    Thank you to both of you for responding. I am experienced with batch files etc, but I am a complete novice with VBS. Has anyone carried out this sort of installation before?

Thank Post
    Look at the Wiki, it "just works", only on windows though

Seriously, if you have any experiance of a CLI you couldnt possibly go wrong with the scripts provided.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread