+ Post New Thread
Scripts Thread, default user folder in Coding and Web Development; Evening Folks, new to this forum so excuse the sence of direction if I am in the wong area. I ...

Thank Post

Unhappy default user folder

Evening Folks, new to this forum so excuse the sence of direction if I am in the wong area.

I have Built an Image and rolled it out to 250 Staff desktops .... To find out no one can log in after GPO is applied and user's are setup to have roaming profiles. It comes up with some strange error about "can not find path to specified file"

It turns out in C:\Documents & Settings\ should be a folder called "default user" on the local machine in order for a "NEW member of staff getting a new profile on first logon or an old member of staff if his profile has been deleted due to corruption.

Question: Is there a script I can run before the user log's in that will create C:\Documents & Settings\default user folder or can i do it any other way?

The pupil's have a modified version of this image and i left the "default user" folder on the machine and they have no problems.

Thanks in advance folks.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,729 Times in 1,492 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yer your going to need that folder. Garb another off a machine and use this script, it should do the trick.

Updating Default Profile Script

Z

Thank Post
    The default user profile needs to be present on the machines, but after that you don't need to touch it. A user with no existing profile uses this as a basis for their new roaming or local profile.

Thank Post
    Cheer's for that, Im a little confused to why it needs it tho, the last technician set up GPO and he has an .MSI file names profile hive cleanup and seemingly this delete's the cached local profile?

powdarrmonkey just answered my question sorry lol

Thank Post
    Yes, it does. Here's how it should work:

1. A user with no profile logs into a machine and gets a copy of the default user profile as a basis for theirs. From this point on it gets saved back to the server as a roaming profile.
    2. They log in to another machine and get the saved profile to start with, make changes, and during log off they are saved back. A current copy is kept on the machine to speed things up next time.
    3. During login to a machine for which they already have a local cached profile, Windows checks to see if it is up to date still and fetches any changes from the server.

However, this causes lots of cached profiles to build up on the machine. You can set an option in group policy not to keep the caches, but it doesn't work if the registry is still in use during logoff. The MSI you are referring to is used to force this to take place.

The error you're seeing is something else, I can't tell what without more details. The event log is your friend.

Thank Post
    Christ it's .vbs, Honestly Dummie's Guide if you could, Im useless with .vbs ... Im useless with server's "thank god for the upcoming course" lol and if the build's anything to go by my desktop's aint upto much either! lol

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavinc View Post
    Christ it's .vbs, Honestly Dummie's Guide if you could, Im useless with .vbs ... Im useless with server's "thank god for the upcoming course" lol and if the build's anything to go by my desktop's aint upto much either! lol
    You will be fine you only need to change the path

Thank Post
    If only I had known about this site earlier! lol

I have been in desperet need of support at time's and 99% of thing's are listed on here that i needed support with.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavinc View Post
    If only I had known about this site earlier! lol

I have been in desperet need of support at time's and 99% of thing's are listed on here that i needed support with.
    It is a good site, pop in as often as you can

Just out of curiosity how did you find the site?

Z

Thank Post
    Came across it by Complete accident, think I was searching google for MRBS and some other options i could use and ended up here and Im glad I did! lol

I have just started in a new Private Partnership School with 1200 students, 150+ staff.

We have just short of 600 PC's and 180 Laptops (which i have been ghosting and setting up all summer holidays) and I was finding bloody tough! 235 Rooms 50% of them have roof mounted projectors + Smartboards. I left the old school 5 years ago and started with the Eduction ICT Department covering primary schools and now im back in my old school with my old teachers! So pressure has been on the cards to do well since day 1 lol

Thank Post
    just a quick add to this thread, you are aware that if you copy a "virgin" default user account to your server in the sysvol folder that it will check there first before using a local copy ......

very usefull if your local default user directory has a bloated application data folder!!!! cuts logon times down

-------------------------------------------

Create a profile that you want to use as the basis for all new users and log off as the user.

Log on to the workstation as a domain administrator.

Start the System Control Panel applet (Start, Settings, Control Panel, System).

Select the Advanced tab.

Click Settings in the User Profiles section of the tab.

Select the profile you created in the first step and click Copy To.

In the "Copy profile to" field, enter a location of \\servername\netlogon\default user. In the "Permitted to use" field, click Change and set to Everyone.

Click OK.

Click OK to the main User Profiles dialog box, then click OK to the System Properties.
    Last edited by djdohboy; 29th August 2008 at 01:10 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread