+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Scripts Thread, Need An Excuse ? in Coding and Web Development; Can we not have a little LED on the dialog that flashes different colours for different cateogries and severity and ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Can we not have a little LED on the dialog that flashes different colours for different cateogries and severity and believability of error messages? It would make my life so much easier. Does it automatically fix the problems too with a command-line parameter?

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 742 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Mattx you have far too much time on your hands!? I'm envious!

P.S. Any chance of creating an insult generator specifically for use in an education environment?!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    Can we not have a little LED on the dialog that flashes different colours for different cateogries and severity and believability of error messages? It would make my life so much easier. Does it automatically fix the problems too with a command-line parameter?

Courses it fixes the problems with a command line - just use the /f [ short for fix ] after everything you type. Cor I dunno, didn't you know that ??

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy View Post
    Mattx you have far too much time on your hands!? I'm envious!

P.S. Any chance of creating an insult generator specifically for use in an education environment?!
    I had to do something whilst Mrs Mattx was watching Eastenders...
    As for a generator specifically for use in an education environment - just start making a list of quotes and I'll knock one up..... Ooooerrr missus.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Damn you got me there I didn't RTFM

To ease the addition and removal of excuses, we could have it connect to an Oracle/DB2 database to get the quotes; but have it separated using the client-server model with communications taking place using SOAP XML web services. And then factory classes for different types of excuse. This could be really good!!

Good work though mattx

Thank Post
    DB2 databases - your taking me back now - used to knock up endless queries and procs in SQL [ all command line ] about 6 years ago on a IBM mainframe.

I even wrote a game [ crap one ] in Rexx / SQL - it was a basic adventure game. I had to revoke access to it in the end as I shared it for everyone and errrr everyone was playing it - ended up using far to much CPU on the mainframe....Got in a bit of trouble for that.
    Also wrote a really crappy SQL / Rexx tumb terminal screen saver. All it was was a collection of badly done ascii art. It was a picture of a man running accross the screen - I think it was about 100 odd different screens quickly flashing on and off.
    There was no CLS command or anything so I had to write some real dirty code which ran query after query after query after query.....you get the picture.
    I miss those days...... Could have a lot more fun there that what I am doing now - I feel sad now.

Thank Post
    To ease the addition and removal of excuses, we could have it connect to an Oracle/DB2 database to get the quotes; but have it separated using the client-server model with communications taking place using SOAP XML web services. And then factory classes for different types of excuse. This could be really good!!
    Are you being serious about that or is it just nonsense? Either way it's gone way over my head.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @mattx: I'm not old enough to remember those, I just read about it. Hmmm.. games on mainframes - trés geeky

@Edu-IT: They do exist, but that was an example of what gets posted every now and then over on www.thedailywtf.com - i.e. seriously over-complicating a very simple problem using enterprise-level technologies and methods.

It would be totally possible to do it using those, but its a bit like using a JCB to dig a flower bed

9. Thanks to webman from:

Edu-IT (5th February 2008)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    Are you being serious about that or is it just nonsense? Either way it's gone way over my head.
    Oh its dead serious, I'm going to add a few tables to our MIS system and run the 'Edugeek Excuse Thingy' as a Crystal Report....

Thank Post
    games on mainframes - trés geeky
    Oh thats nothing compared to some of the other strange sh*t I've done....
    I won't bore you with that though as I feel I may end up in one of those padded rooms.....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hehe. Write a book or have a blog... From stories I've read, this modern fast-paced world of IT is no where near as exciting as what it used to be.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    @Edu-IT: They do exist, but that was an example of what gets posted every now and then over on www.thedailywtf.com - i.e. seriously over-complicating a very simple problem using enterprise-level technologies and methods.

It would be totally possible to do it using those, but its a bit like using a JCB to dig a flower bed
    Thanks for the explanation! That looks like a good website.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12