+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Scripts Thread, Shopping cart scripts in Coding and Web Development; Originally Posted by Edu-IT Originally Posted by CyberNerd WTF? you can have a LAMP/drupal install done within 40mins. installing another ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,611 Times in 2,019 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Shopping cart scripts

Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd
    WTF? you can have a LAMP/drupal install done within 40mins. installing another module and getting the thing configured really isn't going to take more than a few hours! and requires very little support.
    Would that cover the grading criteria though? From what I understand students will be creating the site in HTML. With Drupal wouldn't the site already be built?
    You cannot build a shopping cart system in plain html. You can build static websites and that is it. To do something like a shopping cart, you have to use a language such as PHP or ASP. In order to build a good one you would also need a database server.

An example of what you are asking: I did a web course as part of my degree and one aspect was to design and implement a e-commerce website, complete with shopping cart and database backend. This was custom written in Java and took about 200 hours of programming in order to get right. (But considering I was just learning then, it could probably be done by anyone with actual Java knowledge in half that time).

So, in order to implement it, you'd either need to implement an existing system - which would leave little for the kids to do, or write your own/have one made, and considering you also want GoogleCheckout tied in (which is not as widespread as Paypal), you are looking more at the latter than the prior.

However, that said, if you provide us with a rough outline of what the system must do and what the kids must do then it may be easier to narrow down such a system. My guess is that you want a system that allows you to format web links which pass item details to a generic cart? ie. Next to an item 'A dozen diamond encrusted eggs' you have a 'add to cart' button which sends the name, item code and price to a script?

Thank Post

Righty then. Outsource it is.

Or i could pass it onto the LEA girls and boys to look in to, they get paid more than after all!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

Would that cover the grading criteria though? From what I understand students will be creating the site in HTML. With Drupal wouldn't the site already be built?
    yes, but you can add html to drupal and the ecommerce is just a module.

CyberNerd, what are you going on about? He hasn't got experience of this area, it may not even be his job to do it, so why should he do it?
    obviously I cant talk about another persons contract, but mine covers something about installing software. You should do anything which is reasonable. I'd argue that installing and configuring some ecommerce web server software is reasonable for a technician but writing an ecommerce site from the ground up isn't.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12