+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Scripts Thread, Manipulating Office (Word/PowerPoint) via PowerShell in Coding and Web Development; Originally Posted by LosOjos ...I posted how to do that waaay back just remove the $MSPPT.Visible line entirely and tag ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    ...I posted how to do that waaay back just remove the $MSPPT.Visible line entirely and tag another $False on the end of the Open line, it works, honest!
    Yeah, that works, but since there's no program 'running', There's no ActivePresentation, so nothing can save. It throws "You cannot call a method on a null-valued expression"

Quote Originally Posted by ascott2 View Post
    Try
    $MSPPT.ActivePresentation.Close()
    $MSPPT.Quit()

Both are methods, without the parenthesis, you are just outputting details of the method.
    Ah, I thought the parenthesis was just providing extra information (in the case of my earlier Word script, to not save changes to the file)

Interestingly ActivePresentation.Close() works, and ends up with PowerPoint having no file open. Quit() however, seems to do nothing. The program doesn't exit.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 806 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garacesh View Post
    Yeah, that works, but since there's no program 'running', There's no ActivePresentation, so nothing can save. It throws "You cannot call a method on a null-valued expression"
    You can get a reference to the presentation from Open, like so:

Code:
    $PRES = $MSPPT.presentations.open("C:\test.pptx", 2, $True, $False)
    Then, replace any instance of $MSPPT.ActivePresentation with $PRES

The post I made earlier shows what I mean, I did things a bit differently to you but it'll explain better than I can what I'm on about: Earlier Post

EDIT: re-reading my posts, I apologise if I'm coming across as a bit of a d**k, my people skills are somewhat lacking...
    Last edited by LosOjos; 3rd June 2014 at 02:17 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    EDIT: re-reading my posts, I apologise if I'm coming across as a bit of a d**k, my people skills are somewhat lacking...
    You weren't - don't worry about it.
    The reason I didn't go with that was because there was "no reason to", per-se. I see tutorials online that do a lot of things like $Var = BlahBlahBlah and then only call $Var once.. I think "Why? You're just adding a pointless, extra step!".. I didn't realise there was actually a point to yours.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 806 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garacesh View Post
    You weren't - don't worry about it.
    The reason I didn't go with that was because there was "no reason to", per-se. I see tutorials online that do a lot of things like $Var = BlahBlahBlah and then only call $Var once.. I think "Why? You're just adding a pointless, extra step!".. I didn't realise there was actually a point to yours.
    It's a habit I've picked up over the years of scripting with Office as I used to get random issues occurring using "Active..." identifiers, particularly with worksheets where the user would click on a different sheet and the macro would go haywire on it... I always learn the hard way lol! So now I make a point of storing a reference to the doc/sheet I'm working with to avoid any issues

Thank Post
    I guess there's always the point of "All references you might want to change are stored in variables. The variables are set at the very top of the script so it's very easy to change", too.. It's just.. Messy, I feel.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12