+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Scripts Thread, Powershell 2: If [piped string] does not contain X, drop. If it does, pipe out. in Coding and Web Development; I'm right in thinking that '$array +=' means "Add the data to this array" rather than "This is a definitive ...

Thank Post
    I'm right in thinking that '$array +=' means "Add the data to this array" rather than "This is a definitive allocation of that array's contents" (which would remove all current contents)
    Therefore doing it your suggested way, @pcstru, $fulllogs would still be one item rather than multiple, but that wouldn't actually matter because it would only contain the filtered logs?

Edit: Aha, half-working. It's only pulling back the winlogon events now, but still including the text I wanted stripping out. Whilst not strictly a requirement, it would be helpful.
    Edit: Aha, got it!
    Code:
    foreach ($event in $events){
         if ($event.message.contains("C:\Windows\System32\winlogon.exe")){ 
    	 	# Combine each message with its relevant timestamp, strip out junk data.
         	$fulllogs += ([string]"----------" + $event.timecreated + "----------`r`n" + $event.message + "`r`n" -replace [string]"(?s)Detailed.*key was requested.", "---------- Event message end ----------`r`n`r`n")
    		$count = ([int]$count + 1)
    	}
    }
    Last edited by Garacesh; 19th September 2013 at 01:01 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Garacesh View Post
    I'm right in thinking that '$array +=' means "Add the data to this array" rather than "This is a definitive allocation of that array's contents" (which would remove all current contents)
    I think += mostly means add to/append. It rather depends what is being added to what as to how it will actually behave. Fulllog is a string so that's what will happen. events is a (pointer to) a collection of objects - not quite the same thing as an array (in that a collection of objects could be described as an array but an array is not a collection of objects!).

Therefore doing it your suggested way, @pcstru, $fulllogs would still be one item rather than multiple, but that wouldn't actually matter because it would only contain the filtered logs?
    Yes. If that's what you want as an output.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    I think += mostly means add to/append. It rather depends what is being added to what as to how it will actually behave. Fulllog is a string so that's what will happen. events is a (pointer to) a collection of objects - not quite the same thing as an array (in that a collection of objects could be described as an array but an array is not a collection of objects!).
    Ah. Muhbad. Thanks for the clarification.

I was having a little difficulty but figured it out pretty much right as you posted (see 2 posts up). My log output is now timestamped. Woo!
    Now.. Do I attempt a further 'upgrade' or be happy it works again, count my blessings, and leave it as it is? xD

Thank Post
    See if you can follow this compaction of the main logic.
    Code:
    # Query eventlog of $fqdn, return $me instances of Microsoft Windows Security Auditing logs with ID of 4624 (Logon). Create array.
    foreach ($event in Get-WinEvent -ComputerName "$fqdn" -FilterHashtable @{ProviderName="Microsoft-Windows-Security-Auditing"; ID="4624" } -MaxEvents $me  | where {$_.message.contains("C:\Windows\System32\winlogon.exe")}) {
       $log+=$event.message
    }
    $log | out-file c:\temp\temp.txt

Thank Post
    Query event log of $fqdn for $me instances of logs created by Microsoft-Windows-Security-Auditing with the event ID of 4624. Check each ($_) 'message' as defined by Get-WinEvent's results, if it contains the string "C:\Windows\System32\winlogon.exe", add it to $log (since multiple events may match, += keeps all current data of $log intact). (if not, do nothing)

Write the contents of $log to C:\temp\temp.txt.

Edit: Which means I don't need to create $events, do I?
    This ought to work? (time to test!)
    Code:
    {
    (Get-WinEvent -ComputerName "$fqdn" -FilterHashtable @{ProviderName="Microsoft-Windows-Security-Auditing"; ID="4624"} -MaxEvents $me) |
    	where ($_.message.contains("C:\Windows\System32\winlogon.exe")){ 
    	 	$fulllogs += ([string]"----------" + $event.timecreated + "----------`r`n" + $event.message + "`r`n" -replace [string]"(?s)Detailed.*key was requested.", "---------- Event message end ----------`r`n`r`n")
    		$count = ([int]$count + 1)
    	}
    }
    Edit: It does not It echos (or is it prints? No, that's Python.. I think? I don't really know what the term is for Powershell) the command and immediately opens the txt file with zero results.
    Last edited by Garacesh; 19th September 2013 at 01:26 PM.

Thank Post
    @Garacesh - If you get this going would you mind posting the entire script?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Garacesh View Post
    Edit: It does not It echos (or is it prints? No, that's Python.. I think? I don't really know what the term is for Powershell) the command and immediately opens the txt file with zero results.
    You do need to iterate through the collection returned from the Get-WinEvent pipeline. Personally I think there is always a compromise between compactness and readability.

Code:
    $fqdn="computer.domain.local"
    $me=100

$count=0
    $fulllog=""

# Query eventlog of $fqdn, return $me instances of Microsoft Windows Security Auditing logs with ID of 4624 (Logon). 
    foreach ($event in Get-WinEvent -ComputerName "$fqdn" -FilterHashtable @{ProviderName="Microsoft-Windows-Security-Auditing"; ID="4624" } -MaxEvents $me  | where {$_.message.contains("C:\Windows\System32\winlogon.exe")}) {
       $fulllog += ([string]"----------" + $event.timecreated + "----------`r`n" + $event.message + "`r`n" -replace [string]"(?s)Detailed.*key was requested.", "---------- Event message end ----------`r`n`r`n")
       $count++   
    }
    Write-Host "$count events logged"
    $fulllog | out-file c:\temp\temp.txt

Thank Post
    @pcstru I was close! I just missed out the '$event in' and got some of my brackets mixed up.
    @fiza Of course! It's working right now minus a few glitches, but I can throw it up right now if you'd like? Current problems are:
    • It needs to be run in Powershell v2 because Get-WinEvent doesn't return messages in Powershell 3
    • Timestamps are American (MM/DD/YYYY)
    • You may have to parse way more records than you actually want returning to offset for Service/lsass/other logons that aren't 'actual' logons. (In my case, 150 events brings back 1-4 'actual' logons)

Thank Post
    To solve the last problem in your list you can use

Code:
    Get-WinEvent -ComputerName "$fqdn" -FilterHashtable @{ProviderName="Microsoft-Windows-Security-Auditing"; ID="4624"; Data="C:\Windows\System32\winlogon.exe" } -MaxEvents $me
    instead of

Code:
    Get-WinEvent -ComputerName "$fqdn" -FilterHashtable @{ProviderName="Microsoft-Windows-Security-Auditing"; ID="4624" } -MaxEvents $me  | where {$_.message.contains("C:\Windows\System32\winlogon.exe")}
    By having Data="C:\Windows\System32\winlogon.exe" in the -filterhashtable it will only return events with "C:\Windows\System32\winlogon.exe" in them, therefore the whole

| where {$_.message.contains("C:\Windows\System32\winlogon .exe")}

is no longer needed and $me can be the total number of proper logon events you want returning. Speeds up the code too as powershell does not need to parse each event looking for "C:\Windows\System32\winlogon.exe".

10. Thanks to pleach85 from:

pcstru (19th September 2013)

Thank Post
    @pleach85 - excellent.

Thank Post
    I tried using Data in an earlier iteration of my code. It didn't work.
    Just retried it now, and it worked. Though I'm positive I used it in the HashTable.. I figured it was down to me using PSv2 not PSv3.. Or maybe I just did something wrong..
    Either way, thank you very much - that's considerably sped it up!

Thank Post
    I'd like to parse the users account name out of the message for which I've tried

$acc=select-string -InputObject ($t) -pattern "Account Name:[\t]*[A-Za-z0-9]*\.[A-Za-z0-9]*"

This works on the final file but not the message. I'm obviously assuming something that's not right - anyone know what?

Thank Post
    'Works on the final file, but not the message'?
    Do you mean if you attach it to Get-WinEvent it doesn't work, but if you 'Get-Content | $Logfile | $acc = [...]' it works?

Thank Post
    Assuming I named the fulllogfile c:\temp.txt

select-string c:\temp.txt -pattern "Account Name:[\t]*[A-Za-z0-9]*\.[A-Za-z0-9]*"

Finds the account names (all ours have a dot in them).

Whereas in the foreach loop

$acc=select-string -InputObject $event.message -pattern "Account Name:[\t]*[A-Za-z0-9]*\.[A-Za-z0-9]*"

Does not work - it spits the whole message back. I suspect it's to do with line breaks and out-file is applying some default translation to the fulllog string whereas the string itself is just one 'line'.

Thank Post
    Well, with -replace "(?s) string" makes it work across multiple lines. Perhaps something similar is needed?
    What's the significance of [\t]? I'm assuming [A-Za-z0-9] means 'only characters A to Z, a to z and 0 to 9 are allowed'

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast