+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Scripts Thread, Log on script for Network Drives and Printers. in Coding and Web Development; Originally Posted by Arthur Like Synaesthesia and FN-GM, we don't have any issues either. I used the following guide when ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Like Synaesthesia and FN-GM, we don't have any issues either. I used the following guide when setting up printers on our network and they get installed without fail.

dxpetti.com/blog/?p=181

I wonder if a lot of the problems are caused by users not being given the rights to install or load printer drivers (as per the guide above)?
    Aaaaaaagh! So I am confused (no... it doesn't take much)! Are people using Print Management with Deploy via Group Policy or are they using Group Policy Preferences?

I don't really know much about Group Policy (and even less about Preferences), but I thought that User Configuration applies to an OU containing Users and therefore Computer Configuration will not apply and Computer Configuration applies to a Computer in an OU and will not work if it is applied to an OU with just users in it?

In this link, the author states that you need to also change 3 settings in the Computer Configuration, but I am basing this on trying to map Printers per User OU for their year group to apply to their laptop, not on Computer OU based on location...

Can anyone set me straight, I have my week off next week and I'd really like to nail this as I have loads of other stuff planned for when I get back!

Help!

Edit: Just to say adding this BUILTIN\Users returns an error for me and GP can't find it when I use Check Names, is this right?

And another edit to say I can't find the 'Point and Print' section in my GP!

Kol.
    Last edited by Koldov; 8th August 2013 at 02:44 PM.

Thank Post
    For network drives and printers etc. we tend to use http://www.kixtart.org/ for the logon script. Takes abit of configuring but works well for us.

Thank Post

this is what we use

Use something similar to this, just with your server name and files

Code:
    net use T: \\SERVER1\FOLDERA /PERSISTENT:YES
    net use F: \\SERVER2\FOLDERB /PERSISTENT:YES
    net use O: \\SERVER3\FOLDERC /PERSISTENT:YES
    And then for the Printers

We usually drop this in the startup file, that way no matter what it will map these whenever the computer is turned on.

Hope it helps

Andrew

Thank Post
    sorry to wake an old post but i just wanted to add the little line here.

you wanted to delete the old's year shares and make new ones.
    no problem.. logon script

net use * /del /yes

net use X: \\server\Doc1
    net use S: \\server\Doc2

net print \\server\printer1
    net print \\server\printer2

Thank Post
    Exactly how I do it. Using IF USERNAME OR COMPUTERNAME matches criteria for specific people and locations. Works a treat

Thank Post
    Hey Koldov, let me try and get you some answers (better late than never).

Quote Originally Posted by Koldov View Post
    Aaaaaaagh! So I am confused (no... it doesn't take much)! Are people using Print Management with Deploy via Group Policy or are they using Group Policy Preferences?
    I would strongly recommend using GP Preferences when possible over GP Polices. Why? Preferences has bigger hooks into the operating system than Policies does. It can do more and do it better, more consistently and faster than policies. It is essentially the modern take on GP Policies (they date back to the NT days).

Quote Originally Posted by Koldov View Post
    I don't really know much about Group Policy (and even less about Preferences), but I thought that User Configuration applies to an OU containing Users and therefore Computer Configuration will not apply and Computer Configuration applies to a Computer in an OU and will not work if it is applied to an OU with just users in it?

In this link, the author states that you need to also change 3 settings in the Computer Configuration, but I am basing this on trying to map Printers per User OU for their year group to apply to their laptop, not on Computer OU based on location...
    User configuration and Computer configuration are simply different categories of Group Policy. Both will be applied no matter what inhabits the container Active Directory where you are apply your policy. The difference being User configuration is applied to those specific users regardless of the computer they log in to and Computer configuration is applied to those specific computers regardless of what user logs in. The other difference is computer configuration is applied before the netlogon (CTRL+ALT+DEL) fires up where as User configuration is applied upon the login of a user.

Hope that clears up a few things.

Thanks for linking to my blog btw. Glad to see it has helped some people out!

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by SamDickerson View Post
    For network drives and printers etc. we tend to use http://www.kixtart.org/ for the logon script. Takes abit of configuring but works well for us.
    Ah KiX scripts. The very first thing I killed when I was given the reigns and discovered Group Policy...
    Last edited by DXPetti; 12th February 2014 at 07:52 AM.

Thank Post
    Everyone's issues have pretty much been fixed, but just in case anyone reading this thread in the future finds it relevant for quick fixes, I'll post this quick one I did for several drives and printers.

Using CC4 that I don't have admin rights to is a pain, but I've managed mostly a workaround without having to pay for the unmanaged connection software.

Code:
     @echo off
    net use * /delete /y

echo Please type your network user name

set /p username=

Net use T: "[\\Example share]" /user:domain\%username% %password% /persistent:no

Net print "[\\Example printer]"
    Best solution I've found with how limited I am, all I have to do then is get staff to realise that just because they can't see the asterisks, their password IS being typed. It deletes previously mapped drives every time it's launched, so I've put it on a couple of desktops so that they can switch easily.

Can also map the user's documents for a specific person's use. Especially useful on a few Windows Starter netbooks that can't use group policies.

Thank Post
    Use editv32 to hide the password ...

set /p user=PLEASE ENTER YOUR NETWORK USERNAME AND PRESS [ENTER]...
    echo.
    C:\admin\MyDrives\editv32 -m -p "PLEASE ENTER YOUR NETWORK PASSWORD AND PRESS [ENTER]..." pass
    Net use T: "[\\Example share]" /user:domain\%username% %password% /persistent:no

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,940 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bompalompalomp View Post
    just because they can't see the asterisks, their password IS being typed.
    Perhaps they should set their passwords to asterisks to avoid confusion?

10. Thanks to Arthur from:

Koldov (14th February 2014)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12