+ Post New Thread
Scripts Thread, Mass Copy of Files and Folders in Coding and Web Development; Hi, I was wondering does anyone have a script which can help me on my vanilla Windows Server 2003 R2 ...
    Thank Post

Mass Copy of Files and Folders

Hi, I was wondering does anyone have a script which can help me on my vanilla Windows Server 2003 R2 Network. What I need is a script that will copy the files from a mandatory user profile to a set of folders (named after each user). In my setup each user has their own profile so Favourites, History etc. is carried around wherever they go. However it is bit of a chore manually copying and pasting the profile files for all the users, is there a script available that will do it for me.
    Also, when I create a user's home directory I then paste in a copy of My Music, My Pictures, My Settings (Application Data), and My Videos (all with appropiate icons) into each one to ensure they are made correctly, and would also need a script to paste those into each users folderHope this is clear, Thnx in advance

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,171 Times in 994 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Mass Copy of Files and Folders

Why not just place it in the NETLOGON share?

Thank Post

Would that then distribute it to all users made, existing and new? Never thought of that, but am at school so can't get at my server now to try it out :x

Thank Post

You wont' need to create subfolders for My Pictures, My Music, etc. Providing they have a drive mapped to their home directory, and appropriate folder redirection (changed in the registry for their profile or via policies) these folders will get created automatically when an application tries to access them.

Rather than giving all users their own profile, have you considered sticking with a generic mandatory profile but just redirecting favourites to a folder with in their home directory? Might be easier to manage this way.

Thank Post

Hmmm, then I'd need to tighten up my GPOs and stop documents, recently used programs etc from being saved and I liked the personalisation. I know I do at the network I use at school. I'm a student btw - setup a mini network at home. I did try the Favourites re-direction .adm template available on this site somewhere but It just made a folder in my GPO but no settings :s

Thank Post

You don't have to use GPOs to do folder redirection. Just open the user profile's registry hive (ntuser.dat or .man) in regedit and modify the values under HKCU\software\microsoft\windows\current version\explorer\shell folders.

Thank Post

OK WIll give that a go, still have the user that I made the template from on. Been that to that section of the registry lately to modify the contents of Folder Options, removing Show Hidden Files and Folders etc.

I guess it should be something like:

\\server\share\%USERNAME%\Favourites <Wouldn't I still need to create a folder in each users documents for it to direct to?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread