+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
School ICT Policies Thread, youtube in School Administration; Originally Posted by plock What ripper/downloader do you use? I have thought about giving that ago for staff. Which software ...

Thank Post

Re: youtube

Quote Originally Posted by plock
    What ripper/downloader do you use? I have thought about giving that ago for staff. Which software would you recommend?

Cheers
    We've used this http://www.mediaconverter.org/

Not saying its the best as i havnt really looked into it but it works so...

Thank Post

Just checking a teachers log for Saturday (I was shocked they were working too) and they spent quite a while on youtube whilst 'marking'

Only staff have access to it at present which might change now.

Thank Post

What is the point of technology if you cant use it? MySpace I can agree with since it is on my "no show" list but our students would cry if they could not go to YouTube.

Politicians try the same sweeping rules and limits on us and we don't like it.

:-) and it all started because the Network Admin was accused of running a slow network!

I say, Speed up your network, and let all the children boogie.

best regards
    Roly

Thank Post

Roland, I agree totally...

However, we have a brand new school, with a brand new W2K3 domain, which as you can imagine, is lightening fast.

Speed isn't an issue for us, our students well-being is. Sadly to say, some selection process should have been put in place to ensure YouTubes content is appropriate for ages of 12+.

I understand what you're saying, but from a selfish point of view I suppose, the internet is full of inappropriate materials, which can be accessed so easily as a young person.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Yes - YouTube content is sadly full of innapropriate content so the LA block it here, with our full support.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by roland
    What is the point of technology if you cant use it? MySpace I can agree with since it is on my "no show" list but our students would cry if they could not go to YouTube.

Politicians try the same sweeping rules and limits on us and we don't like it.

:-) and it all started because the Network Admin was accused of running a slow network!

I say, Speed up your network, and let all the children boogie.

best regards
    Roly
    unfortunately the network is already fast, but still not quite upto the spec the kids would like.

Thank Post

apeo found this - TeacherTube

I'm considering banning YouTube and just giving access to this one

Thank Post

Snap!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries

@Roland - We have kids here aged between 8 and 13, which means that a huge amount of content on the net is not appropriate for them, including a lot of stuff on youtube. This goes for all the video services really too.

Thank Post

The Headteacher & on site police officer ask us to block it in the class rooms as kids were using it to upload videos of fights etc... The staff HATE us even more for this even through the Head ask for it.

As for headphones we got a box of 31 for each ICT suite gave them to the teacher & we never have to deal with them again.

Look hear for some cheep headphones (as in price)
    http://www.mt-electronics.com/

Thank Post

And I fear you may be the one crying when it gets back to a parent that they can access inappropriate material... just takes one and you are providing something on a par with flamethrowers and scapels.

You can't say you agree with MySpace being blocked but not YouTube - both (and others) or nothing - otherwise you're hypocritical.

Why do children not work with mercury in Science lessons - the educational merits of a liquid metal are huge but it's toxic so probably best to remove from the classroom- don't you think?

Think of your poor internet connection and other users...

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by plock
    Speed isn't an issue for us, our students well-being is. Sadly to say, some selection process should have been put in place to ensure YouTubes content is appropriate for ages of 12+.
    Paul is 100% correct there. I am not disputing that YouTube contains some valuable educational resources (a number of our teachers have used videos from it) however it also contains a huge amount of completely inappropriate material.

As there is no way of moderating which bits of the site can and can't be seen, we unfortunately have to take the blanket approach of blocking the whole site.

Thank Post

Hi,

My comments earlier are were truly in jest, the internet is such a vast resource and I work and move in a community which is quite conservative and I am forever getting requests from parents and teachers to ban this and stop that, it troubles me sometimes, that everyone reaches for the handbrake.

All the while the internet is only a fraction of what it is going to be in the future. Social networking, convergence, communities like this and others, like Second Life .... I could go on forever, we are at the tip of the ice berg, and half of it is already banned!

Kids should be taking technology home, not bringing it to school and by this I mean our school computers should be bigger, better, faster, more software, more bandwidth. We should truly be teaching our students how to use computers and facilitating staff and teachers, and opening up the www and teaching how to use these tools, safely, easily, to broaden horizons and in increase opportunities .....

Social responsibility is so important, and teaching empowered students to be responsible is better then dis-empowering students. (I think).

I have four kids and every reason to be careful of what they view and see and (thus far) I have refused to put parental controls, net nannies in place. I think it is important that they learn how to be truly responsible and grow up to be mature and responsible like us. ... err, perhaps not :-)

best regards
    Roly

Thank Post

I have four kids and every reason to be careful of what they view and see and (thus far) I have refused to put parental controls, net nannies in place. I think it is important that they learn how to be truly responsible and grow up to be mature and responsible like us. ... err, perhaps not :-)
    How about enabling the filters and explaining why you've done it? We educate the students in safe use of the Internet - chat rooms, what not to put on your MySpace profile, etc - but still block these sites in school.

I'm not a parent myself, but I would be very angry if my children's schools played hideous videos from YouTube and then said "here's how to avoid seeing those", or gave them graphic details of exactly what a child molester might do to them during a "stranger danger" lesson. Inform them, educate them, but also shelter them as far as is possible.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by NickJones
    How about enabling the filters and explaining why you've done it? We educate the students in safe use of the Internet - chat rooms, what not to put on your MySpace profile, etc - but still block these sites in school.

I'm not a parent myself, but I would be very angry if my children's schools played hideous videos from YouTube and then said "here's how to avoid seeing those", or gave them graphic details of exactly what a child molester might do to them during a "stranger danger" lesson. Inform them, educate them, but also shelter them as far as is possible.
    Spot on...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast