+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
School ICT Policies Thread, Malicious Websites in School Administration; We have had a few issues like this, on each occassion the police have been involved with their CCU, however ...
    Thank Post

Re: Malicious Websites

We have had a few issues like this, on each occassion the police have been involved with their CCU, however we have also found it useful to get the IWF (Internet watch foundation) involved as well, the police have always worked well with them and the job gets done even quicker.

The new is below if it's of any help:

020 860 5300

All the best, i know how frustrating things like this can be, daily occurnace for me!

Thank Post

Anti you may have got them qualifications but times have changed and alot more of the learning process come from diffrent media i.e. the internet. there r that many useful websites now for the core subjects that i feel it would not give pupils the same chance as others in other schools, as for the rest of your comment i do agree.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Anti
    I got 9 GCSE, 5 Highers and a diploma without any internet what-so-ever.
    And i bet thers some on here who never saw a calculator and used tables to calculate complicated equations. Or what about pens, 100yrs ago they were using a peice of slate and some chalk, rubbing out their work as they run out of room on the slate, never to be seen/revised from again.

How about we go back to some slate and log books? Stupid idea yeah? So why isnt disadvantaging a *whole school* by taking away the internet not a bad idea?

Internet is *NOT* a priviledge in this day and age. If it wasnt for the internet i, and i dare say a good proportion of the users on here, wouldnt be in our current job!

It is especially not a priviledge when the rest of the country has access. All your doing by taking away access is is bringing the schools exam results down and making the innocent resent the school - i sure as hell would if you punished me "for nothing".

IMHO its a *right*, and im not 100% but id have thought the gov. would agree with me. Im quite sure theres course work which *requires* use of the internet.

Im sorry but imho punishing the wjhole school for one childs wrong doing is extremely childish and just plain wrong, what sort of example are you setting to the kids? "Do wrong and we'll punish you, do right and we'll punish you anyway"

Thank Post

Going OT here, but it seems to me that the 'net has done wonders for the standards of literacy and written English.

As to the OP? The offended teacher should contact the abuse address on the site/s in question. MySpace are fairly prompt in dealing with kids claiming to be 18 when all their photos show 14 year olds, so I doubt they'd be slow to react to libel issues.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,889 Times in 1,170 Posts
    Blog Entries

Ok ... let us set a few things straight on what students are and aren't entitled to as part of the DfES requirements.

Yes, by 2008 they are entitled to an online learning space.

This is not free and open access to the whole of the internet (online learning spaces still have to go through filtering that contains IWF lists to be Becta accredited). It is not free and open access to email, but can be limited to a closed system to allow communication with relevant people. It is not a chunk of online storage that they can do whatever they want with, but a learning space which allows for them to retain items of school work, take part in school communications and start / continue / complete items of school work.

School filtering should have the ability to have whitelist only. The online learning space *must* be included in this whitelist irregardless of restrictions of any other access.

There are set contacts at Bebo, Myspace and Yahoo for dealing with online bullying by students to other students or students to staff. CEOPs hold these details, as do most LAs. There was a recent child safety conference in London where majority of the social networking sites attended and spoke ... they are aware of the problem and would rather schools contact them and the police instead of taking heavy handed (and possibly illegal) actions in attempts to punish the students.

Schools should be aware when writing their discipline policies and procedures that the laws of the land (in England and UK) are not yet fully adapted to take into account actions like this. Typical procedures for dealing with how this sort of abuse used to occur is different to how it needs dealing with now.

The example I was given was that of the annoyed and disgruntled student defaces a wall on the way to the school with the slogan "Mr x sleeps with little girls". He then brags about doing this to mates and he gets collared for it.

The student is then charged with criminal damage for the graffiti.

This is not exactly the right way of dealing with it but it gets a result ... but it means that schools and individuals have been using the wrong proccess for dealing with the abusive students and what they do outside school. It has now led to a situation that is not covered by 'other laws' and so there is confusion about how it is dealt with.

If people do want the contact for Bebo please PM me as I am not sure if the address I have is in the public domain, but it is the one given out on the NAACE list a few weeks ago.

Thank Post

> Internet is *NOT* a priviledge in this day and age.

Before two years ago, half our classrooms had one pentium II PC each; the other half of the classrooms had nothing. We had no internet access at all, no network and no computer suite. Yet our results back then (and long before) rated well against the best state schools in Britain at GSCE and AS level. Except for ICT, the curriculum does not require computers or internet. So in that respect, I believe is a priviledge.

> ... especially when the rest of the country has access.

Maybe you're not aware, but there are some students studying in developing countries, sitting IGSCEs in a second or third language, who are achieving better results than a lot of British children, and they don't even have electricity or proper textbooks. Then you've got the private boarding school chappies who are each given their own laptop and 24 hour wireless internet/network access. Whoever said there was a level playing field?

> ...making the innocent resent the school - i sure as hell would if you punished me "for nothing".

Hopefully they would correctly resent the person who attacked the school/teacher/pupil on the internet. When I was at school myself and someone set fire to a book in our library, we were all banned from it at lunch and breaks for the rest of the year. We blamed the pupil, not the school. Eventually one of his friends got fed up of standing around in the rain and shopped him. That was the most serious example, but there were lots of 'bannings' at my school, whereby many suffered due to the irresponsible actions of one or two - the school was never resented, only the guilty pupils.

> I'm quite sure theres course work which requires use of the internet.

Would the ban really include teachers needing their class to use the computers for class work? I think a common sense approach may be required!

> punishing the whole school for one childs wrong doing is extremely childish

Personal insults are immature too.

> what sort of example are you setting to the kids?
    > Do wrong and we'll punish you, do right and we'll punish you anyway

There are several useful messages:

- this behaviour is serious and has consequences.
    - internet attacks against schoool, staff and pupils will not be ignored.
    - we'll use all methods at our disposal to find the culprit.
    - keeping silent to protect your guilty friends is wrong.
    - libel is against the law.
    - if you have a problem use the proper channels rather than the internet.

As opposed to doing nothing, which sends out the messages:

- do what you want because we can't/won't do anything about it.
    - you won't get into trouble for cyber bullying or personal attacks.
    - you are anonymous because hosts don't give your info without a warrant.
    - it is ok to ignore your victim's feelings and make them feel powerless.

You say it is wrong to punish everyone else, rather than just the criminal, but welcome to the real world; the cost of theft and fraud is passed on to the honest consumers. We all suffer higher prices and tighter regulation due to a minority of dishonest people.

Anyway, I wouldn't expect a time-limited ban to necessarily solve the problem, because it might not oust the culprit, but I think 'some response' sends out a better message to pupils than 'no response'. I don't think it would against the law or violate Human Rights (and is not childish! So there!).

However, GrumbleDook's advice is the best so far. If there are other avenues to explore, a ban would not be the first thing I'd do.

Thank Post

Oh dear

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky
    lol Oh dear

Thank Post

Have I done something wrong? oh dear.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,889 Times in 1,170 Posts
    Blog Entries

I think it was more in response to the fact that your response is very idealistic.

I agree with the sentiment of it, but in most schools in England the idea of bulk punishments is seriously frown upon. A good proportion of students are taught to think independantly, but the down side is that they will argue their case if they are treated unfairly, and bulk punishments for things they have not done is an area that they will fight their corner on.

I am not saying that I always agree with this view point, but in the same way that prohibition in the States has since been regarded as a bad idea the same with restrictions of computer / internet use.

If people are seriously looking for resources to help families approach the internet safely and sensibly then I would recommend some of the materials from ChildNet.

Thank Post

Well, whatever. Generally I think America and Britain have become too namby-pamby, which is why the number of children out of control are increasing. There is no respect or courtesy anymore, which is why they think it is ok to publish awful things about each other online in the first place.

This problem is only going to get worse, and it is usually too difficult to get webhosts to remove material. If there is no other recourse, such as bannings and taking a hard-line with investigating incidents, then cyber-bullying and teacher-bashing is just going to spiral out of control as more and more children realise that schools are powerless to do anything about it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234