+ Post New Thread
School ICT Policies Thread, More policies in School Administration; Well ... it is finally that time of year when I sit down and try to catch up on some ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries

More policies

Well ... it is finally that time of year when I sit down and try to catch up on some of the jobs I have been putting off for the last year.

This week it is policies. AUP and AUP are checked and can remain untouched for another year, Stephen is busy looking at backup and security policies ... and I have bitten the bullet to deal with the Data Protectin Policy.

The existing policy is pretty ok, when have not included any more classes and we are properly registered with the ICO. I have the model policy for the FOI stuff, and that fits in with the document retention policy (just need to reflect some of this in the backup policy).

I have a Data Protection - Photography and Recording Guidance Policy nearly complete but I am starting to look at the other interesting bits ... retention of emails, retention of logs, retention of any single thing that is stored electronically in some format ...

What do other schools do for their policies? Do you reference specific acts of legislation? Do you have all your documents cleared by your LA before you publish them?

How do you decide what your retention procedures will be? Do you publish the costs involved in this too?

I am interested in hearing as many points of view on this as possible.

Thank Post

Re: More policies

This is something that I'm about to start work on for the CCTV side (see relevent FFS Post on IP Cameras)
    im thinking of a retention of 1 Week then 2 weeks Archive before deletion

Anyone got a CCTV policy in place?

Thank Post

OK, here's a related question:

Who writes your policies? ICT Technicians/Network Manager/Systems Manager or ICT Co-ordinator. I'm in a position where i want to re-write some of our policies (namely AUP) but the ICT Co-ordinator is digging her heels in saying it's her job. I understand that as ICT Co-ordinator being responsible for whole school ICT she would want to write it for pupils but why the staff one, especially as it pertains to the network security.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

hmmm ... that brings up an interesting point about what policies people have ...

Off to create a new thread.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

@Lee_k_81 probably it is her job, it would be awkward for her if you suddenly asked for a pay review because you had taken more management responsibilities because she was unwilling/able to do it herself. I think ICT-coord or LEA should be writing the policies as that is what they are payed for.

Thank Post

But they pay me a good salary as "Informtaion Systems Manager". I'm also the named Data Protection Person, but not responsible for that policy. There's just a lot of confusion about what us an isnt my responsibility.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Ok ... please feel free to add the this thread ...

Please continue to talk about policies in this thread .. but list them in the above one.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

@Lee

Find out what needs doing and then tick off the bits that are done by others (or should be done by others)

If you want to do something (like the AUP) then speak with your line manager ... have a draft version and be willing to explain why it works (examples from other schools running a remarkably similar AUP would be good).

If it is in the job description of the ICT Coordinator then let them do it ... and help them where you can. Be prepared to explain why you want to change certain aspects of the AUP.

To be honest, it doesn't matter who is *meant* to do it ... as long as it gets done and it works.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread