+ Post New Thread
School ICT Policies Thread, Software signing Out Sheet in School Administration; Hi there I'm really fed up with one of our technicians misplacing software CDs etc. I am at the point ...
    Thank Post

Software signing Out Sheet

Hi there

I'm really fed up with one of our technicians misplacing software CDs etc. I am at the point where I am considering compiling a list of all the software we have, and making the team sign for any software they remove from the store and signing it back upon return.

Does any one else do this? Whats the most efficient method of doing this?

I know it sounds like I'm going a bit too far, but this issue has beren repeating itself far too often despite reprimands!

Any ideas greatfully received.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,700 Times in 1,477 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Why not just load copies of the software on a shared area and instal from there?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    Why not just load copies of the software on a shared area and instal from there?
    Now that's a good idea!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tazz View Post
    Whats the most efficient method of doing this?
    Get your software installs copied to a network drive and have a system to automatically install everything on a new workstation - WPKG, FOG, GPO, logon script, or whatever.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,700 Times in 1,477 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thats what we do. They are all on a shared area only us can get at. We then put all the disks away. Its handy that the CDs dont hav lost and damaged and you dont have to find the things.

Thank Post
    Said technician is now uploading CDs to a share! Thanks all.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,784 Times in 1,107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Going back to FITS principles here ... there is a thing called a Definitive Software Library ... closely related and tied in with your CMDB (Change Management Database). As part of this you should have a list of all software anyway, where the original is stored, where it is installed (and your ticket system should be able to tell you by who) and any particular config.

A simple solution for keeping track of items (CDs or otherwise) is by having a dry wipe board close to where they are stored. If you take CD or kit our of the store then you write up what it is, who took it, a basic reason what for (eg install in classroom x) and the date.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    Going back to FITS principles here ... there is a thing called a Definitive Software Library ... closely related and tied in with your CMDB (Change Management Database). As part of this you should have a list of all software anyway, where the original is stored, where it is installed (and your ticket system should be able to tell you by who) and any particular config.

A simple solution for keeping track of items (CDs or otherwise) is by having a dry wipe board close to where they are stored. If you take CD or kit our of the store then you write up what it is, who took it, a basic reason what for (eg install in classroom x) and the date.
    This is why ITIL makes sence to use in a school environment even if it has to be in a modified format to fit the schools ICT setup. I do the same with my software but it is a pain trying to backtrack when you inherited a site without meeting the predecessor or other staff to ask! Software media as a general rule should be kept in a locked cabinet to comply with licensing laws and a spreadsheet kept of what is installed where incase of an audit.

Thank Post
    We copy all CD's to the network and the disks are then kept at our other office 20 miles down the road, to be honest nothing comes on disk for us now its all downloaded and put on there. We used to have a huge problem with disks but now now

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread