+ Post New Thread
School ICT Policies Thread, Showing Videos in school in School Administration; This seems to be cropping up a bit at the minute and I'm a bit out of my comfort zone ...

Thank Post

Showing Videos in school

This seems to be cropping up a bit at the minute and I'm a bit out of my comfort zone so I need some advice.

What are the rule for showing video's in classes? In particular when it comes to showing things of iPlayer and the like?

Are you allowed to reocrd programs from the telly then show them in class? Isn't that a public viewing?

My particular problem at the minute is that one memeber of staff has found some software called WM Capture. IT basically records a rectangle from your computer screen and saves it as a video file. This can also be used to take footage from sites like youtube/Iplayer. Now I'm fairly confaident, though not 100%, that this will count as "trying to circumvent the DRM" and as such is naughty and I'd like to shoot it down quickly but I'm not 100% and I need be more certain of my facts before starting an argument.

Thank Post
    To add to this, does anyone know if it is possible to take a BBC live stream (BBC One for example), and run it through MMS on a media server. So then, rather than having 30 connections to the same stream, we could pull it down once and then provide a local stream to user thus saving our bandwidth.

Thank Post
    Have a look here;

Home Page

Your LEA almost certainly holds this licence (although you should show due dilgence by confirming this with them).

EDIT: Also note in does not include Sky Channels.

Thank Post
    Independant school here, no LEA. Though internesting I wonder if we have a licence. That would make things interesting..
    Having said that we could be covered as part of our group. some investigation may be needed.
    Last edited by Stuart_C; 14th June 2010 at 10:47 AM.

JPS
    Thank Post

Showing video

An article from the IPO (Intellectual Property Office)

"Is there a copyright exception for showing a video to school children?
    There is an exception to copyright that means that showing a video or DVD to school children may not need a licence from the copyright owners. Whether or not the exception applies will largely depend on the particular circumstances, including the purpose of the showing. The exception will only apply if certain conditions are met:

The video/DVD must be shown in an educational establishment. An 'educational establishment' is defined in copyright law as including any school (colleges offering further or higher education and universities are also 'educational establishments'). 'School' has the meaning given by education legislation:
    in relation to England and Wales, the Education Act 1996;
    in relation to Scotland, the Education (Scotland) Act 1962 (including approved schools under the Social Work (Scotland) Act 1968); and,
    in relation to Northern Ireland, the Education and Libraries (Northern Ireland) Order 1986.
    This could mean that play groups, holiday clubs and similar organisations may not fall within the definition of a school, and so may not count as an 'educational establishment'.

The audience must consist only of the children, teachers and others connected with the activities of the school. This will not usually include parents, unless they are, for example, acting as a classroom assistant.
    The showing of the video/DVD must be for the purpose of instruction. Of course, there are some videos which are clearly educational and so will be instructional by themselves, but there are others whose main purpose is to entertain. These could still be used provided there is some instructional purpose. If the showing is used to initiate a discussion with a learning outcome, for example, this may be sufficient to meet this condition, but the showing of a video during a wet lunchtime only to entertain the pupils is unlikely to meet this condition."

Here is the URL: Intellectual Property Office - Is there a copyright exception for showing a video to school children?

Hope this helps

Thank Post
    IS it me or is there a slight contridiction between those two points, the first saying we need a licence the second saying there is an exception for schools?
    Is it saying that if I purchase a DVD I can show it, however if I record something I need to have a licence?
    Last edited by Stuart_C; 14th June 2010 at 11:02 AM.

Thank Post
    To access the BBC iPlayer as a home user you dont need a TV license, you only need that for there live streams. So surely anything that they post online is freely accessable for all (excluding curcemventing regional blocks).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread