+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
School ICT Policies Thread, Head of ICT Access Rights in School Administration; Hi All To summarise from the beginning, our new Head feels that NO teaching staff should have access rights to ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Head of ICT Access Rights

Hi All
    To summarise from the beginning, our new Head feels that NO teaching staff should have access rights to other staff member user folders. Now thats fine - we've been setting permissions since day 0

However, as our Head of ICT has domain admin rights this obviously "gets around" the permissions. All with good reason really, as he deals with support issues regularly, both from staff and students

Its one of those situations where I feel he should have access rights, as otherwise my workload goes through the roof (again), but on the other hand i'm tempted to say, "lets go along with it" and see what uproar it causes

What do other schools do? Are your Heads of IT / ICT merely "users" or do they have higher privileges?

Thank Post

Re: Head of ICT Access Rights

Our head of ICT "stole" admin rights really, but rarely uses them. The most he has done (and it could have been bad I suppose) was to re-enable a disabled account (staff account) to get at some work inside the folder. I would prefer to have the Head of ICT as a normal user. Simple. But in schools politics usually reign and in this case I have to go with the flow.

It depends on your Head of ICT really. How much do they really know about ICT (not Office and VBA, real IT)- and if they can handle the responsibility. Difficult one though.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 1,025 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cheesypete
    Hi All
    To summarise from the beginning, our new Head feels that NO teaching staff should have access rights to other staff member user folders. Now thats fine - we've been setting permissions since day 0

However, as our Head of ICT has domain admin rights this obviously "gets around" the permissions. All with good reason really, as he deals with support issues regularly, both from staff and students

Its one of those situations where I feel he should have access rights, as otherwise my workload goes through the roof (again), but on the other hand i'm tempted to say, "lets go along with it" and see what uproar it causes

What do other schools do? Are your Heads of IT / ICT merely "users" or do they have higher privileges?
    kingswood ( aka my network manager LOL ) above gave a good reply but just wanted to add a couple of things.

To summarise from the beginning, our new Head feels that NO teaching staff should have access rights to other staff member user folders
    Considering the head of ICT is a member of staff, does that include him / her when they say that and I can understand that as well from a data protection act point of view as well to a certain degree obviously.

All with good reason really, as he deals with support issues regularly, both from staff and students
    What sort of "support issues" are you reffering to here ?

Thank Post

The Head of ICT is simply another head of department. Purely because they use the IT equipment more than other HoD's does not mean that they should have more access rights than the others.

Giving someone without the correct knowledge the wrong level of access could bring about disaster as whats to stop them from telling someone else then them someone else, etc.

At my place there are two people who know the admin password, me and the ICT Tech. I have also placed a sealed document in the schools safe documenting the relevant passwords which it only to be opened by my replacement. This was at the heads request.

Thank Post

I gave our head of IT the same rights as staff, and i would like to take that away from him. He keeps going home and leaving him self logged on all over the place, not even locking the workstation, and kids are in the room.

Staff can get into kids documents, reset there passwords, add printer credits, turn the walled garden on and off, it scares me how complacent he is over security.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts

The nyou should raise that fact to his line manager as it must surely be a breach of the AUP?

Our head of ict has the same access rights as any other member of staff and will get domain admin over my cold dead body.

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,889 Times in 1,170 Posts
    Blog Entries

Head of ICT has some additional access on the interweb ... but is a staff account for everything else.

She doesn't want anything more either ... a) she doesn't get paid for it and the union would play merry hell if she was asked to do "support" or "admin" stuff; b) she doesn't know her way around AD and knows she would have to spend a few months trying to get to grios when she doesn't need to; c) all staff have to sign the same AUP as students ... I treat everyone equally ... they are all lower forms of life compared to sysadmins!!!

Thank Post

I agree, Head of ICT is simply a teacher so why they should they have elevated rights? Just asking for trouble.

I give staff normal user permissions plus access to read pupils' home folders and change pupils' passwords. They cannot change staff passwords, view staff work, enable disabled accounts or unlock locked-out accounts.

Thank Post

I agree too, our Head of ICT has only a Staff acount, although she is able to see student home folders and change student passwords

Thank Post

Surely best security practise would be that NO 'normal' user account should have Admin rights. If a particular member of staff is permitted to perform Admin functions, then they should have an additional user account which has the necessary rights, and they should use that account only when they have to. The Administrator user account should either be disabled, or a very strong password set and stored in a sealed envelope in a secure location (eg school safe).

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 934 Posts

Same with me IT head only has same rights as any member of Staff.

@Grumbledook, LOL we know we are a much more advanced set of life forms than everyone else but thanks for confirming that again

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

'Over my dead body' lol - that's how I feel about it as well. Presented on a teachers' forum or discussed with teachers, this is a very thorny topic. As such this conversation has to be viewed from a techs standpoint.

We're not about enforcing our way on the poor unsuspecting teacher, but as eloquently discussed above, there are serious points as to why this is so.

Thank Post

@mark: As you say, some teachers feel positively violated when told that they cannot have admin rights. I think that this boils down to the fact that they feel less important if they think they are missing out on something like this.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Lol yeah, this has been covered on the TES forum (where most teachers look down their noses at support staff) and teachers always believe they have a right to admin privileges.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,889 Times in 1,170 Posts
    Blog Entries

Taking the middle line here ... some schools have had staff having various methods (including admin priveleges) to get to students' work and even to the home areas of other staff (to get resources) because that is how it has always been set up from the old days of peer to peer networking.

If you take away the admin rights of the teachers you have to a) provide them with an alternative solution that will still allow them to work, b) retrain them in better methods of sharing resources ("hey folks ... I've an idea. How about a shared drive on the network that only staff can see and share resources on!?") c) they are often not aware of the legal background (DPA etc) that we have to strive to and it may actually help them understand if we explain it a little ...

It is a bit like licensing. I point out to people that as part of my job it is *my* responsibility to ensure licensing is correct in the school. Not the Head, not the Chair of Governors or aanyone else ... me ... and that means that should FAST or particular companies come banging on the door I am the one that has to answer to them ... and I am the one who gets the £30,000 fine!!!! So it is in my interest to make sure it is correct ... and if I find anyone who intentionally deceives me then they are going to get dragged up on a disciplinary and I will be speaking to a lawyer!!!!

Ok ... the DPA and computer misuse act are usually enough to make them realise we are just following rules and actually trying to protect them from students (or even other staff) saying "But all my work has gone ... someone has it in for me!!!"

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast