+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
School ICT Policies Thread, Head of ICT Access Rights in School Administration; @Grumbledook: I totally agree that means should be put in place to allow staff to work effectively. If admin rights ...

Thank Post

Re: Head of ICT Access Rights

@Grumbledook: I totally agree that means should be put in place to allow staff to work effectively. If admin rights are required to do X, there is probably a way to do it by changing permissions, etc.

One of the things that I found not too long ago was staff wanted to be able to trial apps and stuff. Obviously, installing apps requires admin priviledges which I don't give them. I found a solution to the problem using virtual machines. I then explained that the purpose of these was for testing and that it was their responsibility to back up anything they do. I also explained that they are responsible for ensuring any software used is licensed. The AUP backs this up.

Thank Post

At our site we have different levels of access

Pupils... only see 2 drives their Home and a Sheared Read only folder that staff put stuff into

Staff.. Only see a few more folders .. Hvave access to printers and read of Student folder

ICT staff.. Password Change, Read and Write of Student folders and a few more things

Tech Staff.. are the only ones to have Domain Admin rights..

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by plexer
    Our head of ict has the same access rights as any other member of staff and will get domain admin over my cold dead body.

Ben
    You are me.

"I don't teach the kids and you don't admin the network"

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ric_
    One of the things that I found not too long ago was staff wanted to be able to trial apps and stuff.
    I gave them a standalone PC in the staff room that gets wiped once a month. Not that they ever used it...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Wow - didnt expect so many answers!

Its a difficult one as the Head of ICT was obviously managing the network long before I arrived and therefore knows what he is doing.

Its interesting but it appears from the posts that ICT Tech staff have domain admin rights; our Head of ICT obviously doesnt need these rights, but he is still considered by most staff to be part of support. Indeed he is probably more trusted than the ICT support team put together !!

Thank Post

I have the ICT coordinator as a standard user but she has my username and password for emergencies. I trust her not to mess around. At my old school I dreaded the thought of the ICT coordinator with that kind of access.

For me it all comes down to the quality of the ICT coordinator/head. But if Head of ICT was managing the network long before you arrived he must no some backdoors in and it would be unfair to kick him out.

Assuming he knows his stuff I would give his standard account user access but let him know the main admin account or give him a 2nd account with admin rights on the understanding its not for eveyday use. Hopefully he only logs in with his standard account and only use’s the admin access account when really needed.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by cheesypete
    Its interesting but it appears from the posts that ICT Tech staff have domain admin rights; our Head of ICT obviously doesnt need these rights, but he is still considered by most staff to be part of support. Indeed he is probably more trusted than the ICT support team put together !!
    Really, you need to re-train the staff into thinking of the head of IT as a teacher. Under TLR, he shouldn't really be doing any tech support anyway and I'm sure he'd much rather spend his free periods preparing lessons and marking work without the constant influx of people wanting their passwords changed and the like.

By delegating tasks you can reduce your admin workload - the obvious one is password changing... a quick MMC and delegated access to staff is all that is required and it means that staff members can quickly change a password without sending the pupils half way across the school - mean less time wasted by pupils and aiding classroom management.

As for trust, that's a hard thing to gain. If the head of IT suddenly stops doing admin stuff you will probably find people being nicer to you and more staff will seek you out. In time, you will gain their trust

Thank Post

We have pupil acces and Staff Access, both are heavily restricted, the only exceptions there are is that the Head of IT can Change passwords only and has access to the Kids User Areas.

If anyone can linky for me to the section on Data Protection that is violated by allowing staff access to the kids User Areas I would be interested.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Personal data shall be obtained only for one or more specified and lawful purposes, and shall not be further processed in any manner incompatible with that purpose or those purposes.
    Appropriate technical and organisational measures shall be taken against unauthorised or unlawful processing of personal data and against accidental loss or destruction of, or damage to, personal data.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Pottsey
    I have the ICT coordinator as a standard user but she has my username and password for emergencies. I trust her not to mess around. At my old school I dreaded the thought of the ICT coordinator with that kind of access.
    One can debate whether or not ICT Teachers need elevated privilidges but you should never ever give your logon to anyone else. The only fall back the school should be able to insist on is to have admin credentials in a sealed envelope in the safe. Having your passwords means that they can read your email etc.

In this case if you have confidence in your colleagues technical abilities then you should create another account with limited admin caperbilites (password changing, print quotas, student folder browse etc.) which they can use.

Thank Post

To me, looking at student 'personal' folders (for which read network home folders) is the same as looking through hardcopy exercise books. I think what Geoff quoted applies more to the information might be held in the school MIS.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by NetworkGeezer
    To me, looking at student 'personal' folders (for which read network home folders) is the same as looking through hardcopy exercise books. I think what Geoff quoted applies more to the information might be held in the school MIS.
    Yes, but the kid knows that he has to hand in that exercise book and the teacher will see it. Is it made clear to the kids that teachers do rummage through their home drives and what auditing is done to ensure they don't mess things up?

Many of my (student) users have documents entitled "Teacher X smells of wee" or equivalent. Provided they don't stick them on common shared areas I don't care, (some) teachers may care and kick up a fuss.

[edit: typo]

Thank Post

Our Head of ICT used to be the Network Manager here and still technically is so she still have the 'itmanager' account.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by pete
    Yes, but the kid knows that he has to hand in that exercise book and the teacher will see it. Is it made clear to the kids that teachers do rummage through their home drives and what auditing is done to ensure they don't mess things up?
    Well either that or the teachers are psychics and can assess the quality of student work by summoning spirits.

Many of my (student) users have documents entitled "Teacher X smells of wee" or equivalent. Provided they don't stick them on common shared areas I don't care, (some) teachers may care and kick up a fuss.
    Oh it's just teachers that students have a problem with :/

Thank Post

We have an ICT coordinator and a few other staff members who are away with the idea they have admin rights....so little do they know

They are all Teachers with a different desktop pic Keeps them happy though and none of them has worked it out!!!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast