+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
School ICT Policies Thread, Taking Backups offsite in School Administration; As a matter of interest, what would the risk be that a stolen NTBackup tape could have it's data extracted? ...

Thank Post
    As a matter of interest, what would the risk be that a stolen NTBackup tape could have it's data extracted? OK, it can be done but is the rank and file sneak thief going to bother?

Thank Post
    @laserblazer, I'm not sure that's a very water-tight defence. I certainly wouldn't want to rely on it in the event of something unfortunate happening.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by theeldergeek View Post
    What you hear of is high profile civil service numpties leaving data media behind. I doubt it would even get reported if a school technician had done it.

Just because it hasn't happened, doesn't mean it won't.
    Assuming the data is encrypted (and you have logs proving such), should your home get broken into and the tapes stolen, the school only need issue a "yeah, it was encrypted to $technobabble and no data is at risk - nothing to see here, move along".

Now, if you leave them on the train, well - you're not paying due care and attention and deserve a arse-kicking, but they're still encrypted

Yes the local paper may be going "ooh, it's the end of the world". But really, who cares - you and your bosses (and the LEA) know and have proof that it's secure.

I can't help reading you harping on about how harmless it is to take tapes home, yet you seemingly have both a contract and policy in place to cover your ar$e.

Try taking the viewpoint of someone who is being asked to take the data off site without that protection in place.
    So get the policy in place? It's really not tricky - provide your concerns to $boss and get your official written notification / policy set up. Talk the to LEA data protection guy if you want guidance.

However, if it's not encrypted you shouldn't be taking them offsite.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    @laserblazer, I'm not sure that's a very water-tight defence. I certainly wouldn't want to rely on it in the event of something unfortunate happening.
    I'm sure it's a lousy defence but having tried to restore backups to a different machine, it's not that easy even knowing the admin password.

I've asked our LEA for guidance on this one but I don't think anyone is prepared to commit themselves. I think we are just going to have to produce our own policy.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234