+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
School ICT Policies Thread, Taking Backups offsite in School Administration; Originally Posted by eduabncs Some RBC's/LEA's offer remote backup solutions that cover many of the issues raised in this thread. ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by eduabncs View Post
    Some RBC's/LEA's offer remote backup solutions that cover many of the issues raised in this thread. Here is the solution offered here in Birmingham http://www.services.bgfl.org/myporta...eBackupNew.pdf
    Are you still on a commisson?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    We are going to start putting the tape backups into a fireproof safe in another building onsite, which is got neither of the server rooms in.
    Why don't you just put a terrastation in the other building and backup to there ?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Grommit View Post
    Why don't you just put a terrastation in the other building and backup to there ?

It's still onsite!

Thank Post
    We do a backup to another building, and (when I can get encryption sorted) I will have one at home. This is written into our backup policy, and when we got the disk-to-disk and I suggested that a backup elsewhere on site might be sufficient, SLT told me they would prefer I continue to take them home.

Doing something with a nearby school could be an option, although the security-conscious among you will still worry about the risk of losing it during transport.

I also have a disk backup of my home PCs in school, but that's another story :-)

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
    Christ, looking at some of the replies on here, its no wonder the government wants to sack all on-site IT staff and replace them with automatons. If you're happy to become a paper tray filler, toner replacer and mouse changer then be my guest.

Apologies to the lady IT technicians and managers - but grow some balls guys, be men and take some responsibility for a responsible task that we're more than capable of doing.

If you won't do a simple task like managing backups, what else are you not doing because it's "not my job" or you're working to the letter of your contract.

Trust. Confidence. And now no balls?? I think you've laid into the OP quite unnecessarily with your criticisms thus far.

Perhaps you'd care to enlighten the rest of us as to the wording of a) your job description which makes you responsible for something out of contracted hours, and b) the policy you have in place which covers said property whilst in your possession.

It's no wonder you are shouting off about men being men if you have a nice little policy covering your backside. Seems to me, the OP is being asked to take something home/off-site gratis and wants some protection, protection which you already have but belittle him for for questioning his responsibilities and asking for the same.

So, you would it be a fairly accurate summary to suggest you have 'balls' because a) you are contractually obligated to take the stuff home and b) have a policy in place for all eventualities?

Last edited by theeldergeek; 9th February 2010 at 12:26 AM.

6. Thanks to theeldergeek from:

alan-d (9th February 2010)

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeast View Post
    Where do i stand with regards to taking the backup tapes home?

I don't want to be responsible for the safety of all that data, especially SIMS data
    By 'responsible', one is to presume the loss of such through an act other than personal negligence, yes?

That is to say, you are happy to take the data off site, but if it gets nicked, then it is not down to you, as opposed to you leaving it on the bus on the way home, which you would accept as your responsibility.

Clarification of your responsibility as you see it were a policy in place would be useful.

Thank Post
    Just a thought - but why do we need to keep it in a fireproof safe when it is at home? The server isn't in a fire-proof safe in school, nor is the NAS box, so why does the off-site backup need to be?

Thank Post

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by alan-d View Post
    Are you still on a commisson?
    Nope, are you?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    It's still onsite!
    A different building on the same site ... meets backup criteria as well as keeping all data in house

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by eduabncs View Post
    Nope, are you?
    No but I could be if you are offering

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Grommit View Post
    A different building on the same site ... meets backup criteria as well as keeping all data in house

Ours is in a different building on the same site as well, I still feel I might look into swapping weekly backups or even monthly with another school.

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    It's still onsite!
    What if the IT Technician lived next door to the school, and his house was physically closer than that 'other' building?

Technically not onsite, but as good as.

My opinion is that if a thief or thieves are going to steal things from the school, they are going to hit rooms with high value goods in.

If you do decide to backup to a NAS that is somewhere inconspicuously positioned somewhere else onsite, that's as good as taking it off site.

At the end of the day, if a techie is walking to his car with a briefcase full of tapes, there is an element of risk such as mugging (for example).

If the NAS drive is in a locked cupboard where the cleaners equipment is (mop, brush, loo rolls) in a completely separate building, the likelihood of it getting nicked is vastly reduced.

I follow this through at home. I have NAS drives in a cupboard in one part of the house, and a NAS drive onto which the data is duplicated in another part of the house.

Admittedly, you then have things like fire or flood to deal with, but when it's different buildings the former is less likely to be a problem, and the latter, well, make sure the drive is on an upper level somewhere.
    Last edited by theeldergeek; 9th February 2010 at 12:39 AM.

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by Galway View Post
    I work my hours, and accept my responsibilities. But when im not being paid for being responsible for somthing then I expect that to be because im not expected to be responsible for it.
    Wow, that actually makes sense too. Nice.

theeldergeek
    You hear all the time about unencrypted USB memory sticks or laptops being left on trains and in taxis by numpties, but can anyone show any news reports of any IT professionals who've left their unencrypted tapes in such a fashion, or had them stolen from their houses?
    What you hear of is high profile civil service numpties leaving data media behind. I doubt it would even get reported if a school technician had done it.

Just because it hasn't happened, doesn't mean it won't.

I can't help reading you harping on about how harmless it is to take tapes home, yet you seemingly have both a contract and policy in place to cover your ar$e.

Try taking the viewpoint of someone who is being asked to take the data off site without that protection in place.

theeldergeek
    Are you the IT / Network Manager?

It sounds to me like you're working to rule, doing your hours and the bare minimum of your basic job requirements.

Some of us are a bit more professional than that and know that our roles sometimes go well beyond what's written down.

Start being Bolshoi and doing the old "it's not in my contract" is a sure fire way to get your SMT looking towards BSF.
    More professional? Just because someone only does what they are paid to do doesn't make them any less professional! That is a ridiculous statement. If you do more than you are paid to do, that might make you more committed, but it doesn't make you better at the job.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast