+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
School ICT Policies Thread, Taking Backups offsite in School Administration; Originally Posted by Gibbo I've been taking tapes home since before 2003. I've never had an issue with keeping them ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
    I've been taking tapes home since before 2003. I've never had an issue with keeping them secure.

If you can't be trusted, or feel confident enough to look after a simple tape then really you shouldn't be in any position of responsibility or management.
    ....and of course you have insurance to cover theft of the tapes and data and it it clearly written down that you are responsible for them during silent hours.

If you don't and you do it for free then you're a mug!

Thank Post
    Ours go offsite, either with me or the network manager. As long as the tapes are encrypted, we don't see any issues with it.
    Last edited by DrCheese; 4th February 2010 at 02:05 PM.

Thank Post
    We have been told at our last two audits that backup tapes should not be taken offsite but placed in a fireproof safe onsite.

They did suggest if we really wanted them offsite then maybe partnering up with another local school and swapping tapes with them to be kept in each others fireproof safes.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by limbo View Post
    We have been told at our last two audits that backup tapes should not be taken offsite but placed in a fireproof safe onsite.

They did suggest if we really wanted them offsite then maybe partnering up with another local school and swapping tapes with them to be kept in each others fireproof safes.

That is exactly what we're thinking of doing. This can also get around the 'need' for a fireproof safe as two seperate schools are unlikely to suffer a massive fire at the same time unless the whole town burns to the ground.
    Last edited by cookie_monster; 4th February 2010 at 02:37 PM.

Thank Post
    Anyone whinging about it is more of a mug for making such a big deal about an issue which has been part of an IT managers life for decades.

If you can't encrypt or look after a simple tape, you really shouldn't be in any position of management.
    Pretty much. It's honestly not that big a deal.

Thank Post
    You hear all the time about unencrypted USB memory sticks or laptops being left on trains and in taxis by numpties, but can anyone show any news reports of any IT professionals who've left their unencrypted tapes in such a fashion, or had them stolen from their houses?
    No but would you really want to be the first

Thank Post
    Are there any remote backup solutions? I was planning to buy Sonic Wall when the new budget comes in.

Thank Post
    Start being Bolshoi and doing the old "it's not in my contract" is a sure fire way to get your SMT looking towards BSF.
    Still better than being a door mat and taken for granted eh! If you were any sort of manager you would point out the possible downfalls of taking data home, regardless of the format it is in. Being a manager is more than working extra hours without the extra pay.

If you are happy with the way you do things then good for you, but don't expect other people to follow your lead.

Thank Post
    How about storing them at a local bank in a safe deposit box on the schools dime. Then at the very least you are only responsible for the transport to and from and the bank has probably already made sure that they can survive fire/flood/etc. I suppose this will not work if you are talking more then half a dozen or so Tapes.

Thank Post
    I wouldn't even dream of taking ours home even if encrypted, way too much hassle. I won't even go down the road 2 miles to our data centre (other HQ building) and collect them from there and return them to our fireproof safe.

Don't like the idea of transporting the amount of data around we have, rather someone else have that headache.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,859 Times in 1,153 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewL View Post
    Don't like the idea of transporting the amount of data around we have, rather someone else have that headache.
    So rather than address a need, you pass the buck?

Ok .. my take on this (and it is a general reply to both sides) is this.

1 - Backups should be encrypted and secure, even if kept on site. You may want to vary this if you do disk to disk to disk with using storage arrays in different buildings but this is because you are off-setting the encryption against the higher physical security (ie you make sure people do not have access to the room the remote storage arrays are in, never mind physically touching the devices themselves).

2 - As important as what you do is the policy behind it. You must have one ... it should be part of a disaster recovery plan ... or business continuity plan ... whichever angle your school has taken on it. You can pick up half decent back up strategies from a few places such as TechRepublic, Network Security Journal, BCS and not to mention the various whitepapers that come out from CA and others.

3 - If you are asked to do something reasonable by your employer then you need to have other options to suggest instead. Simply going on about "It's not my job" or "I'm not taking that risk" is pointless. You are in a position of responsibility and get paid for it. That responsibility is not about management, it is about your access and control to information and data. You are a SysAdmin. You have access to all and every piece of data (or sizable chunks) and as such you are a key person in a perfect position to pick up this section of control of data. If you want to do risk management on it then good, but it is risk management ... not buck passing. Deal with it professionally and you get dealt with professionally in return.

I've already asked before whether people would find a general backup strategy a good thing and asked folk to contribute ... and got very little response, but so thankful to those who have shared them so far. It has made me wonder how many people actually do have a backup policy / strategy, whether it is written down anywhere, whether it is signed off be senior managlement, whether it fits in with other strategies and policies in the school and whether it is reflected in the contracts for the IT staff.

12. Thanks to GrumbleDook from:

Gibbo (8th February 2010)

Thank Post
    Apologies to the lady IT technicians and managers - but grow some balls guys, be men and take some responsibility for a responsible task that we're more than capable of doing.
    There is nothing brave about taking backups home nor is it a question of responsibility or capability. It's the principle of taking home data without it being formally recognised as part of your responsibility. You have it written down that you are to take backups home, therefore you would be fully covered in the event an incident should occur where that data is lost. Unfortunately in this day and age of liability it would be a course of stupidity to take data home without that formal recognition you currently have.

I would be negligent in my duty if I were to ignore the possible flaws in taking data home without investigating alternative solutions or ensuring that individuals were protected.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,596 Times in 2,014 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The suggestion of working with another school is probably the most sensible one.

All you'd need then is a safe at both schools, encrypted media and you can drop them off once a week.

It isn't rocket science really.

Thank Post
    No, it's not rocket science & yes NMs and techs should take some responsibility but, a limit has to be drawn on ACCOUNTABILITY

I do it and I'm not particularly happy doing it as I don't have the adequate storage for the policy drawn out. If one day some crackhead decides to steal the pretty yellow cartridge from my flat after sifting through my drawers and thinking because it's hidden it must be important... I want to know that I'm not going to get a savaging for it.

Thank Post

Some RBC's/LEA's offer remote backup solutions that can help cover many of the issues raised in this thread. Here is the solution offered here in Birmingham http://www.services.bgfl.org/myporta...eBackupNew.pdf
    Last edited by eduabncs; 8th February 2010 at 02:05 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast