+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
School ICT Policies Thread, FITS in School Administration; Originally Posted by Edu-IT Sorry, I was just saying, the questions asked in the document on there are the sorts ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,100 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    Sorry, I was just saying, the questions asked in the document on there are the sorts of things I would want to record. I didn't want to copy and paste everything from there so I linked straight to it. I suppose it's always something you review and 6 months down the line you might tweak what information you record if you find what works well/doesn't work well. I'm not sure if that would be good practice?
    You wouldn't normally make that many changes to what you record as in taking things out ... but adding things in, then it does happen. Take one access database I have seen to record things ... it started off with just simple stuff.
    Unique ID / Call reference
    Date
    Time
    Reporter (the person making the support call)
    Machine name
    Technician
    Fix date

It was then spotted that the reporter was often not the person with the problem ... say a student was sent to get a technician as a teacher had a problem ... the call used to be logged before the techie left the office (partly so the boss knew what they were doing) and then they had to go and correct it ... so the changed Reporter to Originator and added a category 'reported by' as a drop down with 'student', 'email', 'telephone', 'note', 'office visit' ... and then expanded this list to include other things like 'request outside of office' to help show the number of times they were way-laid by people ... which helped them get SLT to agree to the policy of contact only by email, phone or office visit.

It was then expanded more and more to connect into another set of tables with the inventory in it ... and then tried to work it into configuration management by having each asset in the inventory fully detailed ...

These things will grow and some schools might not record some things because it doesn't fit with the way they work. A school with one person doing everything might not record who did the work to resolve an incident, but another in the same situation might because they log when they call in external support (helpful to measure service management).

So ... if you can think of any additions feel free to mention them.

Thank Post
    I think the best way to get started with FITS is to use the

Becta Schools

Fill in the spreadsheet and that will give you a current baseline.

Then over time pick and choose which things you want to implement, this could be part of your development plan, update and check this assessment on a termly basis.

SLT should be able to incorporate this into the SIP etc.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    SLT buy-in is key. They should be a key part in the group dealing with change control and without their backing then you are unlikely to get far. In a survey we were shown all the schools that had been pretty successful implementing FITS only did the whole lot due to SLT drive.
    Grrrr, grrrr and thrice grrrrr

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I did the first day of the FITS (Practitioner) Training course last Friday. It's the Pilot and will lead to a level 4 award, which is nice, but more importantly it offers a qualifications that can be a standard within schools (It should be about 80 hours of work)

As for applying it into my school, most of it is already done - service desks are very important and the best first step. Now it's just about getting all of my changes recorded and getting staff to stop calling me on my radio (I might just lose it....)

Thank Post
    Has anyone got their "FITS process" written up that they would be willing to let me look at, particularly the SLA stuff.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Ben View Post
    As for applying it into my school, most of it is already done
    From what I hear this is the case for most schools to varying degrees, it just normally needs to be tightened up, written down & policies sorted. as ever though it is the time to work that out, check it and do the writing that is hard to come by

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,100 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    From what I hear this is the case for most schools to varying degrees, it just normally needs to be tightened up, written down & policies sorted. as ever though it is the time to work that out, check it and do the writing that is hard to come by
    *You* may have decided what is best ... but has the School decided it? I say this a bit tongue in cheek but many practices within schools are done in silos ... and I am not just talking tech support here, so I would honestly recommend that you get your processes checked over to make sure you are taking *all* customers / clients / users into consideration and that it is all in a manner where you can be held accountable.

Thank Post
    Good point, as an example the school is having a new behaviour policy & procedure sorted & we are trying to get ourselves included instead of having our own. Also means less work & agro for us

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    *You* may have decided what is best ... but has the School decided it? I say this a bit tongue in cheek but many practices within schools are done in silos ... and I am not just talking tech support here, so I would honestly recommend that you get your processes checked over to make sure you are taking *all* customers / clients / users into consideration and that it is all in a manner where you can be held accountable.

The first thing that we're doing is taking all ideas/thoughts etc to the SLT and having everything planned collectively from day one. In the past we probably have made decisions ourselves and tried to put certain things in place without proper planning and that's why it has always failed. As you say SLT buy-in is the key factor to actually being able to put any of the practices in place and make sure they are adhered to by all parties concerned. So it's key for us to give them the understanding of what is trying to be done and why and obviously getting their input and support right at the beginning.

We also want to advise that some if not all of the practices are put in place for other support services in the college. At the moment they are all a little bit ad-hoc and re-active and could really do with a framework like this to improve service, productivity, reporting, accountability etc. As an example of current practice facilities management here have problems reported with scraps of paper in an envelope in reception and not that many people know about it.

Getting back to the topic of FITS, as far as we're concerned our way forward is creating the committee we should have had long ago, finding out what our priorities are in terms of stages of implementation, documenting a timeline for implementation that is acceptable to all parties, making all parties aware of the changes and what that means to them in terms of procedures for making requests and the way those requests will be handled and far too much besides that to write down here. There are so many elements to FITS.

One of our biggest reasons for wanting to put the FITS framework practices in place is to address the culture shock that all parties would experience when our college becomes part of BSF and have to follow procedures put in place by the centrally managed service, whoever might be providing it. I don't know whether that's high on many people’s lists as a reason? We know that we can make it a gradual and easy change to new practices and hopefully make it that transition easy as well as it surely will be very different from provision at the moment?

The course while not technical in any way opens up a lot of debate as to the way things should/could work in every individual environment. It is incredibly useful in that sense as probably for the first time you can spend long periods voicing opinions with other likeminded individuals uninterrupted. I would definitely get on the course as soon as it becomes available. It has a very different impact than talking about it in a forum environment like this and will really help to pick out all the positive reasoning behind the implementation of parts and the entire framework in whatever way it would suit the environment that you find yourself a part of.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12