+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
School ICT Policies Thread, VNC Policy for technicians in School Administration; If we want to snoop we could. That goes for the majority here. Most would not get close to being ...
    Thank Post
    If we want to snoop we could. That goes for the majority here. Most would not get close to being caught doing so unless there were really tight security in place for monitoring this. We don't because most of us are professional enough to know right from wrong and understand the implications of doing such a thing.

You may get a trigger happy junior tech who wants to have a peek at some teachers screen when they first see something like VNC in use. Secure it with passwords and such and wait till the tech is mature enough to handle the responsibility. I think in this day and age a policy is a good idea so that you have some protection should accusations start to fly. Most of us will have a simple understanding in place however, that says we ask before we view and assist.

You can even edit remote desktop to allow unsolicited access if you wish with a few tweaks to GPO's as i have played with this on a test network.

We tend to email the teacher or update the helpdesk requesting access at a certain time with their permission if we feel the job is quicker done this way. If the staff are unhappy with this there are no hard feelings and we will do it in person instead. Never had anyone say no yet.

I understand the principle worrying about such access but i would explain that as an administrator i have full access to all of the files on the system at any time. Junior techs would obviously not have those same rights.

(bet your principle is typing out the BSF plans to remove you all!! Load VNC quick!!!)

Thank Post
    Do those of you using VNC have a unique password for each instance? If you don't there's a major security problem.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,750 Posts
    If the 'sensitive document' is being saved onto the network, or even onto the teacher's school laptop, then our policies cover us to look at it anyway. The key is, only when it is deemed necessary. Perhaps a line in the AUP for technical staff to cover the use of remote viewing is needed, but that is about all.
    I am fairly shocked that a teacher appears to think that another member of the school - a techie - is likely to be randomly roaming about looking for things he shouldn't be. After all, any member of staff could go through another teachers locker or desk or whatever, but that doesn't immediately occur to them, does it?

mpe

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    I imagine a lot of us have better things to be doing than going through peoples documents/looking at their machines.
    Unless they do something to draw attention.e.g. complaining about something "not working" or doing things they most definitly shouldn't be doing. (Possibly complaining about being unable to do something they shouldn't be attempting in the first place.)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    I dont install on the office PCs. It's a pain but it means I get some much needed exercise every now and again!
    You can use RDP in then which you can easily tell because it locks their local screen.

VNC also by default changes the system tray icon when someone connects unless you disable it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    If the 'sensitive document' is being saved onto the network, or even onto the teacher's school laptop, then our policies cover us to look at it anyway. The key is, only when it is deemed necessary. Perhaps a line in the AUP for technical staff to cover the use of remote viewing is needed, but that is about all.
    I am fairly shocked that a teacher appears to think that another member of the school - a techie - is likely to be randomly roaming about looking for things he shouldn't be. After all, any member of staff could go through another teachers locker or desk or whatever, but that doesn't immediately occur to them, does it?

I had a member of staff come in an try to drag me down to their room at the other end of school, I said we can view their desktop from here (as they were with me) so I did. They immediatly commented "Oh you can see my screen and my personal email". I replied well yes remote support is mentioned in the AUP that you of course read and signed and you really shouldn't be using personal email in work time on a public terminal if you're bothere about people seeing.

@theriver
    The problem with VNC is that snooping without detection is possible.
    The problem is that almost all can be setup to allow this. Net Support, VNC, RRC, ABTutor and Dameware are ones we use and all can be setup this way. Dameware is specifically a bussiness tool with FIPS compliance and you can still do this.

As for document access if your staff have DA rights then they can do everything, the only way around this is to have a third party company that sets up the system and doesn't give site staff DA access.
    Last edited by cookie_monster; 2nd December 2009 at 09:28 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,682 Times in 1,497 Posts
    You could use something like VNC One Click Free Tool instead so it's the user requesting the remote support from you, well on the admin/HT pc's anyway.

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by theriver View Post
    The problem with VNC is that snooping without detection is possible
    We have access to all machines, but it prompts for mslogon credentials every time. It is also logged in the event viewer so you can see who looked, when, and for how long (by seeing the connection/disconnection times).
    There needs to be a trust of the IT Staff, i could if i wanted access any files anywhere on the network. I have better things to do and know that unless i have been asked/have good reason i shouldn't be accessing other peoples areas. Without trust we can't do our job efficiently!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 765 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    Do you have encrypted MyDocuments with a randomly generated backup password stored in a safe which you dont have access to? If not then whats to stop you looking through her documents folder, or even taking a copy of the whole lot and publishing it on the net (for arguements sake)?

As said its a matter of trust, and thats one of the reasons IT professionals in industry are payed a wage which reflects this.
    I agree totally.

Thank Post
    To quote a rather awesome "Top 10 Tips ICT Support would like you to know" list, number 10 is:
    And finally, yes, I can read your email, I can see what web pages you look at while you are at work, yes, I can access every file on your work computer, and I can tell if you are chatting with people on an instant messenger or chat room (and can also read what you are typing). But no, I donít do it. Itís unethical, Iím busy, and in all reality you arenít all that interesting. So unless I am instructed to specifically monitor or investigate your actions, I donít. There really are much more interesting things on the internet than you.

11. 2 Thanks to stratisphere:

dalsoth (2nd December 2009), danrhodes (2nd December 2009)

Thank Post
    it really depends on the relationship between teaching/admin staff and tech support at your particular establishment -at some schools, the atmosphere is one of helping each other , learning together , using our expertise to resolve difficulties.

at others, there may be an atmosphere of resentment and mistrust, which only deteriorates further once staff discover that their every move can be monitored - perhaps by the person they would least like to be doing the monitoring.

it's all about power for some, you see - we have access to things that they don't, can control things that they don't understand, and can make them look foolish and incompetent in so many ways - if we choose to

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    The problem is that almost all can be setup to allow this. Net Support, VNC, RRC, ABTutor and Dameware are ones we use and all can be setup this way. Dameware is specifically a bussiness tool with FIPS compliance and you can still do this.
    Oops, I hadn't intended to imply that this was limited to VNC, sorry.

We're in a position of trust, just as the finance people are trusted with money - and just as with finance I think there's two aspects to it:

1) acting in a trustworthy and professional manner, and being seen to be doing so
    2) being prepared for when trust breaks down. By this I mean that although 99% of the time everything's fine, at some point there could be a situation where either a member of technical staff deliberately does something wrong, or an accusation is levelled at an innocent person.

Admins don't have to have access to everything, it's quite possible to lock yourself out of a share - but letting yourself back in again leaves tracks, and that's your protection.....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by theriver View Post
    ...but letting yourself back in again leaves tracks, and that's your protection.....

Not if you know what you are doing it doesnt (or atleast on a standard windows setup ie one which 99.99% of schools will have).

As i said the only way on a standard windows setup is with encrypted documents, and that still isnt perfect.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by keithu View Post
    Do those of you using VNC have a unique password for each instance? If you don't there's a major security problem.
    I've not used VNC for a while, but last time I did (it was the Ultra flavour) there was an option to tie it into the MS Logon Credentials, so if you are using VNC then this is probably the best option as then when your password changes so does the one for VNC and I'm pretty sure you can lock this down to Admins only too.

Though this thread has raised a question for me now and I'll be looking into what protection there is for the NetSupport / iTalc implementations I have at schools. As has been said, why would I want to look at staff files unless they have asked me to or I have been directed to by SMT, but it's better to protect ones self too one thinks.

Last edited by soveryapt; 2nd December 2009 at 11:57 AM. Reason: :)

Thank Post
    I generally just ring the person concerned and ask if it is ok that I remote into their machine.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast