+ Post New Thread
School ICT Policies Thread, Sample Service Level Agreement in School Administration; Here is a sample SLA that can be tweaked for your school. This is quite generic and some of the ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries

Sample Service Level Agreement

Here is a sample SLA that can be tweaked for your school. This is quite generic and some of the figures are plucked from the air at the moment (based around the length of time it tooks us to sort some stuff out last year).

It probably doesn't cover everything you want ... and feel free to make suggestions about additions.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Sample Service Level Agreement

Now added onto the wiki here

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts

Nice SLA there, and the targets look sensible to me, but how do teacher manage with them, I know in my place they would go nuts if I said that we aim to add new users within 1 day, they expect it 5 minutes previous to them arriving in my office.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

That looks very good Tony. I'd aspire to those targets, and I'm wondering how best to put that under my line managers nose and say something like "that's what I think we should be doing - how do we get there"

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by john
    Nice SLA there, and the targets look sensible to me, but how do teacher manage with them, I know in my place they would go nuts if I said that we aim to add new users within 1 day, they expect it 5 minutes previous to them arriving in my office.
    I refer ther honourable gentlepeople of the forum to the 7 P's

Prior Planning & Preparation Prevents P!ss Poor Performance.

Just because procedures in other sections of the school are pants it is no reason for you to run around like a headless chicken.

It is rare that i tell people to shift the blame, but it truly is not your fault that you do not have the relevant info on students. This is the sort of thing the the Heads of Year can use to push for better procedures for the intake of new students.

Insist that when a new student is going to be admitted outside of the normal year that the person who does the timetable informs you as soon as they know ... or better still, get the person who tells the timetabler to tell you.

As for the rest of the targets ... it is what we have unofficially worked to for the last year anyway, they are now public instead.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mark
    That looks very good Tony. I'd aspire to those targets, and I'm wondering how best to put that under my line managers nose and say something like "that's what I think we should be doing - how do we get there"
    "Mr X and Miss Z are moaning again that we can't do the impossible ... again. It is a shame we don't have a set of set times it takes to do something ... at least they would know how long things take and they would then stop hassling me, you and the Head."

Thank Post

It's a good SLA (as good as they are anyway ;-) but don't rush to implement this kind of thing unless you have more than little old you to carry out the work as principled. Tony has a very good, very skilled, and "on the ball" ICT support structure- they are after all a technology focused school. So it's somewhat easier to take this kind of principle and tell the staff this is how you are going to work from now on.

What we have done where we are is *not* implement an SLA for a number of reasons. Primarily because having studied SLAs for an HNC a couple of years ago I had it on good information that they are like the plague- contagious when touched and eat you away quickly! You begin to goal chase. Not always- but the potential is there. Instead we have opted for a priority based support system, whereby we have a four level support structure with "whole school" issues top, schools management systems breakdown (SIMS) a close second, SMT third and fourth left for issues where one or two machines are down or passwords need changing etc. It's not perfect- but it's the same system a certain well known bank uses (I know the administrator there) and it works well for them (with variation).

In the end a way of streamlining support and making it more focused and effective is always a good thing. One of my close friends is head of user support for a worldwide operation covering some 6,000 users and thousands of systems and servers. He has HDI certification and is the buck where people stop for support when escalation occurs. They require suppliers to have an SLA, but they won't touch them internally. That's the plague thing again- it might just eat you away with performance measurement, graphs, and targets rather than focusing on problem management (which is what they try and do).

He said it best when he mentioned to me that support should never be seen as a service, but instead an integral component of an operation without which the whole wouldn't work. Isn't that a true picture of what we want from schools support?

In any case, well done Tony for having the guts to stick your thumb out like this- hopefully it won't get too bloody sore :-)

Paul

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,442 Times in 991 Posts
    Blog Entries
    nuh-nuh-nuh NECRO
    Skeletor+2.jpg

As the wiki is down/non-existent at the moment, were there any significant changes made to the top document? Just reviewing our AUP and realising I never got round to writing our SLA, so intending to steal and adapt this one, cheers @GrumbleDook

On a similar note... anyone else got any gotchas I should know about on an SLA?

Edit 30 seconds later: oh wait here it is Still, the question stands - anyone got any horror stories/tips I should know about?
    Last edited by sonofsanta; 19th March 2012 at 01:51 PM. Reason: i am an idiot

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread