Welcome to Edugeek!
Have a nose into Becta here; you should find all you're looking for.
I am currently doing research for my dissertation I am trying to find out the governments policy in the use of ICT in secondary schools, but I have had no luck in finding out what these policies are, would anyone be able to help?
I have had a look on the becta website and found the following information:
• Delivering the National Curriculum ICT Programme of Study. For example, 'There will be one hour lesson per week for all pupils throughout Key Stage 3'
• The aims of using ICT within the school. 'ICT will be used to support the teaching of all subjects'
• Health and safety in the use of ICT resources. 'All chairs must be height- and back-adjustable'
• Continual professional development of staff in ICT knowledge skills and understanding. 'One whole day per year will be devoted to ICT training and updating for all staff'
• Technical audits. 'An inventory will be kept of all serial numbers and licences'
• ICT skills audits. 'A questionnaire will be distributed to all staff each year'
• Technical support. 'There will be a network manager supported by two ICT technicians'
• In-class support. 'All support staff will be trained in the use of ICT'
• Roles and responsibilities for ICT in the school. 'The Head of ICT will be responsible for'
• The use of software and hardware resources across the school. 'Each department will be issued with a minimum of one portable projector, and laptop. Every classroom will have a network outlet'
• The role of ICT to support extra-curricular activities. 'ICT facilities will be available before and after school'
• The use of ICT by parents and the local community (for example, the school will run a family ICT course each term.')
• data protection issues
• ICT in school administration. 'Registration will be electronic. All staff will have access to the pupil management system'
• The use of the Internet. 'Access to web sites will be filtered and all pupils and parents must agree to the acceptable use policy.
I'm guessing becta don't actually give you a list of policies, just guidance on what your policy should cover?
Am I right in saying that the school creates the ICT policy? and this policy is then agreed and adopted by the schools governing body?
I'm not in the best position to speak on this subject but it generally works that our policies are based around the needs set out by the national curriculum and I'm merely a facilitator in providing services for those empowered (Teaching Colleagues) to meet these needs.
I've not experienced it much beyond that but Edugeek has lots of very experienced people (more so than myself) who will speak up shortly.
I hope you find all you're looking for, and once again, welcome =)
AFAIK, that is the case yes.
In practice, of course, there are various carrots and sticks the local authority can use, but the theory is that policy is devolved down to heads.
So what your saying is the school will create its own ICT policy? Would they have to follow the guidance from becta?
Hi thanks for the link to the pdf document CyberNerd was just wondering how that document helps me in finding out the governments policy in the use of ICT in secondary schools.
harnessing technology is in two phases, the first part was published in 2005.
this is the first bit
Online Publications: Product details
oh right I see, thanks for all the information, what I'm trying to do is map the governments policy to my local school, to find out what there ICT status currently is, that's why I wanted to find out what the governments policies to the use of ICT in schools was.
Have you asked them (the school)?
I work at the school, was going to ask them tomorrow what there policy was.
For primary, diss level research, that's going to be much more helpful than we can be.
Becta Schools - Self-review framework - Introduction
from a more technical Point of View, Becta has published minimum technical specifications that schools should conform to:
Industry and developers - Technical specification: institutional infrastructure - Becta
most schools don't conform to it (even the new BSF ones)
Thanks for all your help will look over the documents you have recommended.
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)