+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
School ICT Policies Thread, Framework for ICT Technical Support (FITS) in School Administration; I was using Liberium but changed to GLPI because thankfully I am able to host it internally and externally now ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Framework for ICT Technical Support (FITS)

I was using Liberium but changed to GLPI because thankfully I am able to host it internally and externally now teachers and even pupils can log it using their normal user and pass combo and log helpdesk calls.

Wes

Thank Post

Re: Framework for ICT Technical Support (FITS)

Quote Originally Posted by FITS
    Andie,

Last year we ran a Primary FITS pilot with 35 schools in 5 local authorities. From the pilot we put 2 school and 2 local authority (LA) service provider case studies in the Primary FITS area of the Becta website - if you would like to have a look. Other LA's have also begun to roll out Primary FITS so may be able to provide feedback. If you would like to email me at paul.stonier@becta.org.uk I can provide you with some contacts.
    Thank you, Paul. I should perhaps have looked at the case studies first! I have done now, and found it encouraging to read that schools have adapted the model, rather than taking it as prescriptive. I was a bit confused by the Parson Street Primary comments, saying in one place that they were working with volunteer parents and governors to provide first level support (!!) and then further on that the first level support person can become overworked and lose their main job role (??).

I would still value any information from Edugeekers about their experience, rather than just contacting schools through yourself. I think a lot of the experience of implementing something like this varies with the skill and support of those implementing it, and that will vary from school to school quite dramatically.

Thank Post
    Well, it's about time I reported back...

We have had some of FITS up and running since I first looked at it. Basically, it's been down to me to sort it out, as i suspected. We set up a simple book in a rack down the corridor to the staff room, with a pen attached, so staff could report faults. To some extent that has worked but mostly when I'm out - if i'm in teachers still come and get me. I've modified the Incident and Problem forms, as i spent a lot of time reporting to myself (I'm first and second level support) - filling out same stuff in duplicate was time-wasting and having two numbers for each fault got confusing, so I have one fault number, copied across to problem form if fault takes longer than about half an hour to sort! Got rid of some of the boxes that were duplicating stuff. Modified the Fault log too, to fit with my forms. Have used the build procedures a bit, mainly for major installs of hardware. The FITS folders have been useful for beginning to store information, like assets, and I have now deposited an envelope in the school safe that gives someone the passwords and locations of stuff on the server if anything happens to me !

It has been more of a useful exercise than I first thought, especially the fault forms. Of course, I fill these out myself - teachers don't do form filling, do they!! - but I have been able to check on the fault log for those annoying once in a blue moon faults that you can never remember how you fixed, and get the info I need quickly.

I don't think here it would ever be possible to implement FITS properly, the way it should be done with all the correct management structure. But at least i'm more organised now!!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123