+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
School ICT Policies Thread, Framework for ICT Technical Support (FITS) in School Administration; Thanks for all your feedback on FITS it has been a fascinating and informative read. In response to the comments ...

Thank Post

Re: Framework for ICT Technical Support (FITS)

Thanks for all your feedback on FITS it has been a fascinating and informative read.

In response to the comments about FITS having to be part of the ICT mark to encourage schools to adopt it. I have been reliably informed by the people in Becta developing the ICT mark that FITS will be part of it.

Cheers

Paul Stonier

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Sorry to get off topic. The first I heard of FITS was on here. I showed it to my Head, but my first step of installing helpdesk s/w was put on hold as I've far too much else to do this summer, and I'm having to take all remainng leave days of this year to get all my leave in. I'm just so over-run i'm never going to catch up with myself to get anything going re FITS recommendations.

Thank Post

Mark,

the ethos of FITS is to start simple and make small improvements. Might I suggest that instead of getting bogged down in testing, selecting and installing a sophisticated helpdesk tool you may like to download the Excel spreadsheet for logging incidents and their resolutions from the FITS website.

A number of schools have used this call log spreadsheet as a starter for getting their reactive technical support under control as it is key that user reported incidents and requests are logged to ensure that they don't get forgotten or lost. Also, the resolutions are logged to build up a knowledge base of information and allow you to look for underlying trends.

The call log spreadsheet can be found at:
    www.becta.org.uk/fits and click on the Service Desk icon (telephone). Then go into the toolkit and click on Service Desk tools.

Cheers

Paul Stonier

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Well i've been a good boy then :P . I have a similar spreadsheet of jobs that I update, prioritised by the head. Completed jobs get promoted to neighbouring workbooks.
    I have a priority system of
    1. system down [many users affected]
    2. group of users down
    3. Individual down
    4. Requests and orders
    I mostly add job details retrospectively.

The thing is developing and evolving, but then a proper database that could be queried for stats etc, and wouldn't take very much effort to create, would be so much more desirable .

Thank Post

Just for anyone who's interested, I am currently trying to create an Access DB that will stretch from Asset Management, through consumable use and on to Helpdesk logging. I just need to re-learn everything about proper DB design so that it all fits together in the way I want it.

I'm currently using GLPI to store all of this information. GLPI is PHP/MySQL based, but the problem is that due to the restrictive nature of our managed service, I can't run either on the servers so I've had to resort to hosting it outwith school which is impractical. At least with Access, I can store the DB locally on our network.

So (in summary!), once I've got this off the ground I'll put it up for general use. And if anyone can help with the initial design of it, I would be grateful.

Rob.

Thank Post

Rob,

I often get asked by Network Managers if there is a free database available for logging incidents and problems. If your one aligns with the FITS processes I would be happy to let others know who they can contact. It would save a lot of people time reinventing the wheel!

Paul

Thank Post

@FITS: www.sourceforge.net has lots and lots of opensource databases for asset management and incident tracking.

The most comprehensive one that I have seen is IRM (version 2 promises to be superb!) although the setup may take some time.

A quick to set up ticketing system, however, is HOT Open Tickets. This takes about 5 minutes to set up and allows users to log calls and monitor their progress.

The majority of the opensource solutions are LAMP-based (or at least PHP and MySQL) so would be out of the question for people in Rob's situation unless he has a 'spare' machine that he can stick Linux on (it need not be too beefy for these basic LAMP systems).

Thank Post

I was gonna suggest IRM but ya beat me to it - not hard as i cant access edugeek at work atm [ @ mark]

I'll give you a hand mark as soon as I finish off the setup of the helpdesk webserver

Nick seems to think its dead easy to setup, so we should be fine

Hope theres a upgrade option for v1.x to version 2 Ric

Regards
    Nath

Thank Post

@FITS: I'll be reading through a lot of the FITS documents shortly so I'll try & tie it all in together.

@Ric: You're right, there are loads, but I always feel that none of them are quite right for me or for the school environment (yes I'm a picky sod!). Plus, I really need to put my DB skills to use & justify the O'Reilly Access Design book I've just bought.

Thank Post

Rob,

In the toolkit of Service Desk you will find a spreadsheet with the fields for logging incidents and problems. You may like to take these fields and use them, with other you feel appropriate, in your database?

Paul

Thank Post

Does anyone have experience of the Primary FITS? I know this is quite new, but I wondered if anyone is in the process of implementing it or has started using bits from the toolkit. Our LEA are currently running workshops for Heads and ICT Co-ordinators about this, and I am interested in finding out about other people's experiences so I can get an idea of what to expect...!! For anyone who hasn't seen the Primary FITS yet, the link is:

http://schools.becta.org.uk/index.ph...s_tec_pfits_03

I've downloaded the toolkit and had a brief look. I have to admit, as someone who has been unsuccessfully trying to get teachers to write down things (ie. log their incidents!) as they happen on forms I have produced and given them for a few years now, I think this may take some serious pushing from the top to get it to work (which is what is supposed to happen, but...).

Thank Post

Andie,

Last year we ran a Primary FITS pilot with 35 schools in 5 local authorities. From the pilot we put 2 school and 2 local authority (LA) service provider case studies in the Primary FITS area of the Becta website - if you would like to have a look. Other LA's have also begun to roll out Primary FITS so may be able to provide feedback. If you would like to email me at paul.stonier@becta.org.uk I can provide you with some contacts.

Thank Post

@Andie
    Where, buried within all that, what I'd have to respectfully label b*&&^%$, is there some actual concrete advice

I'm sure it must be there but I have a very short attention span

regards

Simon

Thank Post

Primary FITS case studies can be found at http://schools.becta.org.uk/index.ph...c_pfits_cas_04

Thank Post

As far as Helpdesk software is concerned I am in the final throws of testing a web based helpdesk software that I have developed which is FITS compliant and will be releasing it for free to all.

I hope to have this out by the 20th of this month, I will post to this thread when it is available.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast