+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
School ICT Policies Thread, Too posh to wash? in School Administration; Nice one ITWombat, making use of our new icons already!...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 918 Posts

Re: Too posh to wash?

Nice one ITWombat, making use of our new icons already!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I get kids to do the non-technical stuff. Fetching, Carrying, Cleaning, etc. :axe:

That's what they are for anyway isn't it?

Thank Post

Our head of ICT complained about mice not running smoothly in his room so i gave him a small screw driver - problem solved.

Thank Post

Our cleaners don't touch our computers - we try and clean the computers as much as possible - but because of time restraints this usually means a quick wipe down with a cloth - not a proper fettling

Thank Post

We have aactivities week, were all the kids go out of school, the last week of term before the summer holidays. I tend to go round them all. only takes a day.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,307 Times in 1,622 Posts

Cleaners won't touch them and i don't have time so the desks (and intake fans) are covered in burgundy fluff from the sweatshirts!
    I really resent cleaning desks - I don't mind wiping over the machines but I don't really think it is our job.
    And I do enough cleaning at home (the three teenagers!!)

Thank Post

I don't think we should be cleaning the kit I personaly think i'm paid to well to be doing it not that i am beyond cleaning but its seems a waste of resources. However because no one else does it, we go around usualy about once a term to remove the dust from the machines and give the keyboards a wipe over. Our librarians are very good and keep the PC in the library clean.

Thank Post

Funnily enough - I've just spent 3 weeks in hospital - ugh - and the first poster is pretty accurate - nurses don't seem to do washing of patients, or bedpans etc - thats left to the Health Care Assistants (skivvies), as the nurses do have other skills that are needed. The staffing level on a ward of 30 people was 2 + 2 (ie 2 nurses and 2 HCAs) and often they were working a "long" shift - 7am til 9:30pm - and they hardly stopped all day. Puts our jobs in perspective doesn't it?

Thank Post

We used to clean the lab PC's each summer but our networks grown so large now that it's not really feasible to spend 15 minutes cleaning each PC even just once every couple of months as it would be near enough a full time job. The cleaners don't do it because it's not in their contract though we should probably re-negotiate that as it's to only real solution for keeping the PCs clean.

I'm not averse to doing it and will clean a PC if we bring one back for repair ,as other people have said, but it's not possible to go around the entire school doing it pro-actively. If it's a choice of either spending time making sure the PCs are working properly or keeping them clean then the former is always our main priority.

Thank Post

Oh i should mention i caught impetigo twice last year from working in a filthy school yuk!!

Thank Post

I was asked this in the health and safety meeting last week.

This is definately a job for the cleaners at our place. We've got 500 computers and a 4 person technical team. I really dont think that in the course of the day any of us have the time to go round doing a clean of the equipment. Then there would be a big debate as to where the money for cleaning wipes would come from, and how regularly it should be done. Termly? Weekly? Between every student that sits at the computer?

Personally what I would like to see in place is a cleaner going round giving the keyboards and mice a quick clean every night with some anti-bacterial wipes. However most of them are scared to go near the computers as it is and I can just imagine the headmasters email regarding Lord Such and Such's dietary requirements for his visit next week getting accidentally deleted because he didn't lock his machine down before going home. Also we've got a suite of machines that dissapear down into Folio desks (worst installation ever) which probably wouldn't get done.

On the whole though kids here are pretty clean. At least we dont have poo up the walls!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

The kids break the mice and keyboards so often here they don't get chance to get dirty.

Thank Post

I've instructed our cleaners not to touch the computers after I found one of them "cleaning" them with a bucket of water and a cloth!! In some rooms, the desk and PC will get a quick sight of a duster, in others there won't - it simply depends on which cleaner is responsible for that room, some do and some don't.

I clean the ones in the IT Suites every term (ish) and if anyone asks about their classroom one, then I will lend them the stuff with which to clean it.

Any time I have a PC back in my office for repair or rebuild, I will crack the case and give it a quick blast with an air-duster, but there's no set structure to when or how often that happens.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 748 Posts

I have given the task of cleaning both monitors, mice and keyboards to the young apprentice who cleans the keyboard with a toothbrush and antibacterial foam cleaner specific for this task.

This procedure is done at every holiday.

Thank Post

Last time our cleaners cleaned the PC's they somehow managed to flick the PSU supplies from 230 to 110... so they don't do that anymore...

Cleaned when they come back for fixing and when they are imaged at the start of the new academic year. Monitors get a once over now and then. All mice have been replaced with optical ones. Keyboards get replaced when possible and if thats not they go in the sink with a scrubbing brush and some Fairy, then left outside on the grass in the morning to dry.

We tend to strip classrooms down when we are imaging to allow us to clean and hoover the desks, doesn't take long and I have to find work for 5 people when there are no students so it's hardly an issue.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information