+ Post New Thread
School ICT Policies Thread, Copyright in Schools in School Administration; I know there have been several threads on this before and it's always a difficult area. What dvd's/vhs films can ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,643 Times in 1,466 Posts

Copyright in Schools

I know there have been several threads on this before and it's always a difficult area.

What dvd's/vhs films can a school show i.e ag related, covered by ERA licence or whatever it is for these, the dvd etc.. has to be a bought copy and not an illegal copy.

I presume we are not allowed to say cut a small portion of a film out i.e make our clip of it as with movies this would involve breaking the protection.

What audio are we allowed to play with a prs licence?

Can I take an audio cd, rip a track and then using analog x remove the vocal so it becomes a backing track for use in a school show that the public pay to see?

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    ERA covers programmes made by BBC,ITV and Channel4 etc. It does not cover commercial DVD's/CD's. Copying commercially produced DVD's could be in breach of the Video Recordings Act 1984, Trade Marks Act 1994 and Copyright Designs & Patent Act 1988.

The FAQ is useful

Frequently Asked Questions

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,292 Times in 802 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The new mcps-prs website is quite good, you can search by institution type, or what you want to do, and it will tell you which licences you need - and also the limitations.

Welcome to the MCPS-PRS Alliance

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,643 Times in 1,466 Posts
    Ok thanks I want to put together a policy document that can be agreed to by SMT so that staff can check what they want to do is "legal" and if it's not on the list tough.

Same goes for kids just googling images and using them I presume if they are copyrighted they shouldn't be used in anything?

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    Ok thanks I want to put together a policy document that can be agreed to by SMT so that staff can check what they want to do is "legal" and if it's not on the list tough.

Same goes for kids just googling images and using them I presume if they are copyrighted they shouldn't be used in anything?

Ben
    I know that in our school pupils are taught what copyright means before they begin designing anything.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by beeswax View Post
    I know that in our school pupils are taught what copyright means before they begin designing anything.
    Its a shame the teachers aren't too.

I got my hand bitten off a few weeks ago when I found a teachers bog using images willy nilly (from google, taken off the kids, taken of the staff, etc all without permission). Fired off a email explaining what we have to get in order to use images that aren't our own 10 mins later, I got a short sharp email from a member of SMT tellng me to mind my own business..... its a shame he (accedently) took responsibility for all copyright on all the staffs website (totals 40+ now), and I have it in writing

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,699 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mossj View Post

I got my hand bitten off a few weeks ago when I found a teachers bog using images willy nilly

The mind boggles

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,699 Posts
    Seriously though: I am concerned about the use of Google images. A brief check reveals that most of the images used have the disclaimer 'may be subject to copyright' on them.
    The children copy and paste them into all sorts of docs - where do we stand on this and how do you find out if an image is copyrighted?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,489 Times in 1,930 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mossj View Post

I got my hand bitten off a few weeks ago when I found a teachers bog using images willy nilly (from google, taken off the kids, taken of the staff, etc all without permission). Fired off a email explaining what we have to get in order to use images that aren't our own 10 mins later, I got a short sharp email from a member of SMT tellng me to mind my own business..... its a shame he (accedently) took responsibility for all copyright on all the staffs website (totals 40+ now), and I have it in writing
    Forward it to your head, outlining your copyright fears. It would end up being his responsibility should someone complain.

Thank Post
    I think if I remember rightly(not sure) that any material found on the network which has been copyrighted(ie google images) is the responsibility of the user.

As for Music. I think i remember reading(although I cant remember where) that if you are playing the song for educational reasons(ie - analysing a classical track duing a music lesson) then it is fine, you dont need a licence as it is a teaching tool. I'm not sure on videos/music ect in other lessons. Also I think you need a seperate licence if you sing hymns too.

I also thought you weren't allowed to play a legal DVD if you didn't have the correct performance licences. Check with your bursar and LEA for what licences the school has and see if you are covered with them. Some schools are covered with licences that the LEA buys which cover all schools in the area.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread