+ Post New Thread
School ICT Policies Thread, stolen laptop ?? in School Administration; Hi, What procedure do you guys follow when a member of staff has the school laptop stolen from home? would ...
    Thank Post

stolen laptop ??

Hi, What procedure do you guys follow when a member of staff has the school laptop stolen from home? would it be up to the school to buy a new laptop then bill the member of staff (insurance company), or leave it up to them to go out and buy what ever they like, the person in question just said to me" i have ordered a bottom of the range toshiba a60" im thinking thanks for asking me ,im only the guy responsible for all the ict equipment and your the sports coach!!!
    what policy shoud be in place?

Thank Post
    It depends on your school. You'll probably find that the insurance excess is far too much to be worth making a claim, so it'll just get absorbed. As for the replacement A60, it really should have come past you first. You could just refuse to support it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,859 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Blog Entries
    From our experience you might not be able to make a claim. When one of ours was stolen from a teachers house, school insurers told us they didn't cover them at home and the home insurers weren't interested either.

What happens after that really depends on the circumstances. If the user wasn't following the AUP on how to look after their laptop then they will probably find they have to wait a long time for a replacement. If they had followed the advice in the AUP then fair enough they get a new one.

Our AUP also states that only equipment purchased by the school will be supported. If a member of staff brought in a laptop their had purchased themselves, we would not support it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,645 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    It depends on your school. You'll probably find that the insurance excess is far too much to be worth making a claim, so it'll just get absorbed. As for the replacement A60, it really should have come past you first. You could just refuse to support it.
    As the laptop was at home, it wouldn't be covered by the work insurance more than likely.

Our procedure, as far as I'm aware is to buy a new laptop and then bill the person. They can then use this to claim from their own insurance (which they are required to have, or to pay for it out of their own pocket - they all sign a disclaimer explaining what their responsibilities outside school are, and what our responsibilities are. ie. if it is offsite, they have to cover it. If it is onsite, then we cover it).

With regards the laptop they have ordered, I'd say 'no thank you, we have to purchase all IT equipment ourselves, and as such we can't accept that'.

5. Thanks to localzuk from:

robk (27th July 2009)

Thank Post
    Does your staff fill in a AUP when they take ownership of the school laptop? Its difficult to say to the member of staff that they have to pay / claim from their insurance if they were not aware with this intiially.

Our teacher laptops are covered entirely apart from if they are left in an unattended car.

A member of staff had her's stolen from her home a couple of years ago and we claimed on our Insurance through our LA, we required the crime number etc to action the claim. As powdarrmonkey said above, I think they was a £350 excess on the insurance anyway so we nearly bought the laptop in full before the insurance claim gave us the difference.

Thank Post
    We had this recently (and our insurance does cover laptops stolen from home). Teacher reported it had been stolen etc, and so school made insurance claim. Unfortunately, teacher made similar claim on home insurance policy without informing the school and bought a replacement (surprisingly, the correct one) with their payout.

I found this out through my informers and informed the bursar who cancelled the insurance payout before the school got prosecuted for fraud. Said teacher is a law unto themselves however and hadn't even bothered to inform SMT or Finance Dept that the laptop had been stolen - my aforementioned spies brought it to my attention.

So, both the home and school insurance policies can cover the laptop, but it helps if you know what's going on.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,645 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylv3r View Post
    Does your staff fill in a AUP when they take ownership of the school laptop? Its difficult to say to the member of staff that they have to pay / claim from their insurance if they were not aware with this intiially.

Our teacher laptops are covered entirely apart from if they are left in an unattended car.

A member of staff had her's stolen from her home a couple of years ago and we claimed on our Insurance through our LA, we required the crime number etc to action the claim. As powdarrmonkey said above, I think they was a £350 excess on the insurance anyway so we nearly bought the laptop in full before the insurance claim gave us the difference.
    Yep, they do. It outlines that they must have it covered by their insurance, and replace it if it goes missing or is damaged outside school with a standardised cost of £700 for them (covers the machine, and the lost time that will then be spent having to replace the thing).

Our excess is £500 so... annoying really.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread