+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
School ICT Policies Thread, We're getting an Ofsted Inspection in School Administration; Anyone had one recently? Any pointers? SMT believe we (IT Techs) might be interviewed as the schools self evaluation form ...

Thank Post

We're getting an Ofsted Inspection

Anyone had one recently? Any pointers? SMT believe we (IT Techs) might be interviewed as the schools self evaluation form promotes IT as a strong subject (science college etc).

The school should walk the inspection - we're pretty good here, but I'm going to have flapping teachers until it's over.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: We're getting an Ofsted Inspection

We had ours at the beginning of the year. They completely ignored the IT Techs which actually upset me a little as they criticised our network without talking to us first. We're a science college too btw. I wouldn't worry about them.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pete
    Anyone had one recently? Any pointers? SMT believe we (IT Techs) might be interviewed as the schools self evaluation form promotes IT as a strong subject (science college etc).

The school should walk the inspection - we're pretty good here, but I'm going to have flapping teachers until it's over.
    as far i understand it now ofstead will not interview ict support staff tony will be able to tell you more..

russ

Thank Post

Wahey !! always fun. Been through 4 of these at my previous school while it was in Special Measures. Havent had one yet at my new school though, so not overly sure what changes in procedure have occurred

Thank Post

We had ours a couple of weeks ago and both of us IT support staff and the IT teachers had a half hour meeting with one of the inspectors. Basically we were just blowing our own trumpets, and saying a lot of the IT success is down to IT support!

Having said that the whole school came out as Outstanding! Everyone is well chuffed!

BTW Good luck!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

At our last inspection in 2003 one of the inspectors had a word (well, 30 mins worth of them) with us IT Support (Nm and myself, I was techie at the time) and the outcome was great....

Thank Post

We had one recently, and no one spoke to us.......
    ICT came out as Good though.

Chris

Thank Post

2000 users, 500 clients but OfSTED didn't even bother to ask me about the ICT infrastructure and how it supports cross curricular teaching and learning. The only support staff interviewed was the school's medical room officer!

Thank Post

We are due an inspection in the next couple of weeks - we are just basically waiting on the call.

I would like to talk to the inspectors, as the school uses ICT in all subjects and it would be good to get a good mention with regards to ICT in the report.

Thank Post

We were inspected just a couple of weeks ago and ofsted hardly spoke to any non-teaching staff at all - despite there being more of us thatn teachers.

Given one of our previous areas for improvement was ICT we were all supprised how little they looked into it. We put it down to the fact we'd got the Naacemark a couple of years ago.

They seamed to focus on the SEF along with the general teaching and behaviour.

Thank Post

we had an inspection just after the return from half term - school was hoping to come out of Special Measures

But inthe run up to it me and my colleague were running around like Blue A*sed flies making sure everyone had SIMS access (that was all we had to check!)

Then on the day of the inspection our network started the slippery slope to being deceased - it died a few days later and only got it back up today

We've got another one about May'ish - and so far they havent gone near ICT Support

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts

At my last place they had one of those mini subject inspections, and it was on IT, and they didn't even talk to me about the hardware, as if they knew what was running the network, they would have been under Special ICT measure as it was appauling! But because XP ran, increadably slowly mind you, it looked good, modern and up to date, and lots of PCs as well, it meant all was hunkey dorey!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,106 Posts
    Blog Entries

The general format of OFSTED now is not to target each and every department, but to pick a thread of the SEF. If that is differentiation then they may look at electronic resources and how they are delivered, and so talk to the techies ...

If they are looking at how you deal with the digital divide then they may ask the support team about what they have done to help students get access to materials at home ...

OFSTED no longer have a remit to actually inspect the technical support team, but it does not mean you won't be asked questions ... if you are asked it will probably be alon gthe lines of "the kit that you put in ... what impact does it have on the learning of students?" and a stock answer is "I don't know ... I just put the machines in place!"

A good answer would be "it helps to raise the ICT Capabilities of the students, which in turn can help embed work that is being done with ICT across the Curriculum." Follow it up with an example in your school about how ICT is used in a particular subject other than ICT ... eg, MFL using google as a translator, or accessing your VLE ...

All staff are meant to have an idea about what is in the SEF ... not just Manglement or Middle Managers. If you are unsure what areas are relevant to you then ask ...

The best advice I can give is to be nice about the teachers and other staff ... and hope they are nice about you.

There are several sure fire ways you can avoid being spoken to by the inspectors ... you can be off ill; you can mysteriously have a server page you to let you know of a problem that needs to be fixed otherwise a lesson may not be as good as it could be; have the ICTMark (or NAACEMark at a push ...) and my favourite has to be a suggestion from a friend shortly before his inspection about what he would do if approached.

The scene is a very tidy workshop ... several books are open on the desk; Minasi's books, NSA security guides, the Anarchist's Cookbook ... ; your favourite LART is mounted on the wall (perhaps a big piece of 2x4 with a rusty nail ... maybe a whip ... maybe a cattle prod) with the sign underneath of 'Please do not ask for help as mutilation often offends'

The Inspectors walk in muttering something about having to travel to the bowels of hell to see a nerd.

"Hello, I'm looking for the Network Guy."

Ah ... you are on a pilgrimage to god.

"Erm ... no ... I'm looking for the person who looks after the computers?"

Yes ...

"Erm ... we have to talk to him about how the systems"

You may speak ...

"How do you feel that you work has made a difference to how the students learn?"

"I am sorry I can't answer your questions right now, I am on secondment from the MOD and I am not allowed to talk to you about my activities until you have been cleared by MI6. I would advise you to leave now before I have to call in a tactical strike to wipe out all evidence that I was here."

I think it was quite a good thing that he was never asked.

Thank Post

Apart from several pilots which were run in the summer term of 2005, from September 05 the old inspection system known by the inspectors as section 10 was replaced with a new framework, section 5. It is this framework that schools are now inspected under. As mentioned in other postings the schools SEF (self evaluation) and PANDA (Performance and Assessment Report) are the main source for the direction in which the inspection will take. If your schools Contextual Value added are good then it is unlikely that the school will fail an inspection its these indicators in the PANDA and what the school judges itself to be, either good or bad at that will determine where the inspection will focus. ICT is looked at but in only as much as does the school make good use of it, both for monitoring progress of pupils, cross the curriculum use etc.

The inspection is short and sharp, inspections can start at different times of the week but the head will be informed on the Friday of the preceding week for an inspection where the school visit begins on the Wednesday the two days prior to this the inspectors will be looking at your data and arranging with the Head about meetings and the lessons they intend to observe. Having arrived on the Wednesday they will be finished by the end of Thursday, a draft of the report will be with the school shortly after the inspection, and usually published within a month.

Thank Post

Before I left my old school, about a year and a half ago, I completely replaced the PC's with brand new ones. Sure, they were cheap, and they looked cheap, but they were all brand new, and reasonable spec.

I just read their new ofsted, and the IT dept were taken to task over the "old" computers that needed replaceing.

They hadn't even checked, they just saw the beige boxes, and assumed that they were old!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast