+ Post New Thread
School ICT Policies Thread, Who is responsible for writing ICT policies in School Administration; Can some one tell me who should be responsible for writing the schools ICT policy. The reason I ask is ...
    richard

Who is responsible for writing ICT policies

Can some one tell me who should be responsible for writing the schools ICT policy. The reason I ask is that work are trying to foist this one off on me but I am not sure that it should be me.

Thank Post

Re: Who is responsible for writing ICT policies

Well here i'm responsible for it. It's something worth investing our time in and to be honest i wouldn't want someone writing policies for me to adhere to. If you do them yourself you know it's right too .

There's loads of info on here for them though so it won't take you too long to get something together...

Thank Post

It shouldnt just be you. There are examples on the wiki you can look at to get the idea of what you need. You should be working with someone in SMT on this. If I was you I would print out a few of the examples and take them to whoever you need to and say that these are the kind of policies in use at other schools and that you would like to sit down and discuss what is relevant to your establishment and what else needs to be added. If not SMT then at least the head of ICT.

Thank Post

I think much depends on your position in school. If , like me you're on the level of a techie, you may not get the same access to SMT as the NM. However, any NM worth his/her salt would involve you as you're the one who'll be going into classrooms and trying to implement these policies. Your experience here is vital.
    Then there's the question of what your ICT Policy will cover, damage to machines/equipment, and inappropriate use of the internet are two which come to mind. The former will definately affect you, and the latter depends on the pupils' use of the inetrnet being monitored, and who is delegated to do the monitoring. At my school I do this via Net Support software. A pupil visits a "dodgy" site for example, I spot it, take a screen grab, find out who it is, disable the account, letter home to parents with printout, parents have to contact school, and pupil has to apologize. I'm allowed to use my own judgement in this, and, of course, I don't do the letter home bit. If you don't have defined roles you may find yourself doing that.
    Remember, if you don't have your finger in the pie, you won't get any gravy. As they say here in... Nurse! Where am I?

richard

I'm the Network Administrator here. But in the past the policyb has been written by the Head of ICT which we do not have as far as I'm aware. What policies we have are out of date and have not been touched for years. My other concern is that if I do draft them I'll probably be told that I've done it wrong and get given a right b********g:!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by richard
    I'm the Network Administrator here. But in the past the policyb has been written by the Head of ICT which we do not have as far as I'm aware. What policies we have are out of date and have not been touched for years. My other concern is that if I do draft them I'll probably be told that I've done it wrong and get given a right b********g:!
    Exactly what if something goes wrong after implementing this policy which isnt covered who are they going to blame..... You need someone else to be ultimately responsible for it and you help them write it.

Thank Post

With policies, the best thing to do is write your own and then get your line manager to push it through - I often find mentioning Becta, the LEA and others helps

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread