+ Post New Thread
School ICT Policies Thread, Pictures of general public on website in School Administration; ...
    Thank Post

Pictures of general public on website

Iím taking pictures of the school fete tomorrow and wondered what the position is regarding taking pictures at such an event. Iím assuming as the public can walk in Iím given carte blanche to photograph anyone and everything which I will do as long as they donít object. I intend to put the best ones on the school website and I hope I wont have to track down people to get their permission like the pupil pictures taken in school.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    It's a very grey area to be honest, and unfortunately we live in a world where a minority ruin it for us all.

I would check with your local authority what their policies are on this subject.

Thank Post
    Found this site which has a section regarding Schools and "Public Events"

Frequently asked questions

4. 2 Thanks to Gatt:

Jobos (6th June 2008), stevenlong1985 (12th June 2008)

Thank Post
    Interesting to read you need permission to use pupils photos on display boards in school. In the 3 schools Iíve worked at none of them did this but maybe Hampshire is on the ball or just covering themselves.

Thank Post
    I think this quote from that site would be adequate for the General Public for photos not showing any kids

Some venues, eg arts centres and country parks, night want to consider displaying signs stating that attendees may appear in photographs taken on the council's behalf for publicity purposes.

Thank Post
    We get all pupils and there perents to sign something saying we can use there pictures without asking permission, unless they object in writing which is too much effort for 99.99% of the 0.001% of people that object.

Also in regards to the public i'd just errect posters at entrances informing them pictures being taken and can/will be used for publication, and that Any queries or complaints should be raised with the event host in the first instance.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,731 Times in 1,494 Posts
    Blog Entries
    When i come across something similar letters where sent out to all parents. It basically said the school will use the photos unless you send an official letter to the school to opt out. Nobody did.

Thank Post
    As the event is a public event, there is no law a such preventing you taking photographs and publishing them however you please. However a majority of people seem to think such laws do exist and sometimes people will object to being in photographs, although as a public event strictly speaking you are doing nothing wrong, it would be the same as you taking the photograph on the street there is no law preventing you from doing this, unless it becomes harrasment.

For this reason and for reason of not bringing the school name into dis-repute with any possible problems that may arise, I would display signs at the main entrance to the fete informing people that photographs are being taken and that they will be published on the school website. I would also suggest wearing a flourescent wastcoat to give you some look of authority, that way with camera in hand people will indentify you as the 'official' photographer and will probably avoid you if they don't want to be in photos.

Mike.

10. Thanks to maniac from:

mossj (23rd February 2009)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread