+ Post New Thread
School ICT Policies Thread, query on/off site technicain in School Administration; Hi guys im just after some advice. I work as a it technicain, but also im involved in a project ...

Thank Post

query on/off site technicain

Hi guys

im just after some advice. I work as a it technicain, but also im involved in a project to install computers in pupils homes.(which is my main job)

The question is should my employer provide me with protective clothing ie boots and a uniform? at the moment im just working in my suit and i have to go to some really unclean premises.

so id just like to know where i stand and what im entiled to?

thanks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm not an employment lawyer but I suspect that if your contract doesn't say that you will be provided with protective clothing then you have no right to it unless not wearing it would be a hazard to health.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg174.pdf is the guide to providing PPE at work it says "personal protective equipment is to be supplied and used at work wherever there are risks to health and safety that cannot be adequately controlled in other ways." - I've no idea whether that's relevant (I'm fascinated by the idea that any pupil's homes would require protective clothing!)

Are you in a union? If so, then this is the kind of thing they can advise on - they'll have people with a much better grasp of the law but I suspect it would be better to just ask your employer for some kind of "corporate wear" if you're mainly concerned that your suit will get filthy. It has to be to their benefit that you turn up looking smart!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Blog Entries
    From speaking with someone in a similar role in an LA heavily into CfP I think I may have a relevant example.

A technician was expected to provide his own clothing and pay for the cleaning of them, etc ... up until the day he had to set up a computer in one house (remembering that CfP is aimed at deprived areas and struggling families too).

The carpet was seriously unclean, with dog's urine, silverfish, cockroaches, mice droppings and so on. Yet the family wanted the technician to crawl on the floor to plug the carious cables etc in.

He made the excuse of having forgotten some cables and came back with some *and* a rug to kneel on. The family complained to the LA and technician was hauled in ... when the LA heard the extent of the problem the complaint was dropped and a claim for cleaning of clothes was allowed to be made. A supply of coveralls was made available for those staff that want to wear them for such jobs now.

Thank Post
    Thanks, thats the problem with some of the houses that i have installed in, you do get houses, that are unclean and have issues like you have mentioned.

I know that you have to look smart, and im asking for the combat trousers for the tools needed and something like a polo shirt with the company logo on etc.

But also when i am on site, i have to do the same type opf thing installing networking and crawling under desks etc, its just not as easy to work in a suit as you are not as free as in normal clothes.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread