+ Post New Thread
School ICT Policies Thread, Proposal to RBC for DMZ in School Administration; I have been in talks with our LEA/RBC over setting up a DMZ. The man who will make the call ...

Thank Post

Proposal to RBC for DMZ

I have been in talks with our LEA/RBC over setting up a DMZ. The man who will make the call has already said it is obvious to him that I have thought about it properly and have not rushed into it, but he wants me to do him a written proposal.

I havnt really done anything like this before so I thought id ask on here to see if anyone else has written something similar and would they be willing to share any pointers, advice and/or templates?

Basically all he wants (I think/hope) is an outline of protocols which will be put in place and basic technical details of the proposal. Im just abit stuck as to where to start.

Any help much appreciated!

Thank Post
    bump for lunch

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,647 Times in 2,249 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It depends on how deep technically you will be involved in the project as to what kind of information you will need to include.

I usually go the cost benefit route with these kind of things to get them improved. In this case you could illustrate the savings in time and overhead for implementing new things externally between the current method and the new way.

You should also address the security concerns such as what kind of precautions you will take to prevent unauthorized access to the systems as it is managed by you rather than the RBC. I would also include the security benefits of the system such that compromising a server on a properly configured DMZ will not give you access to the internal network.

If you are managing the actual hardware and configuration aspect of the implementation then you will need to add more details about the hardware that you have selected and why (throughput, security options).

This is an extra but given that you will may still want some access to the central schools information if you want to do things like single sign on you should also cover the ways that you might implement this for a project if you are intending to use such as restricted vpn links to the DMZ servers from the internal site.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread