+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
School ICT Policies Thread, I need an AUP in School Administration; I've searched through lots of threads going back a long time, followed lots of links (a lot dead) and even ...
    Thank Post

I need an AUP

I've searched through lots of threads going back a long time, followed lots of links (a lot dead) and even looked at the Wiki but that has dead links too.

Basically I'm looking for a Secondary School AUP of which most of the content is already done, only fine tuning left to make it more fitting here.

Anyone?

Cheers.

Thank Post
    Have you looked at the Becta site? There are standard templates there.

Thank Post
    I couldn't find any templates or anything, only articles on what to consider.

Thank Post
    The RM templates are quite concise but complete - worth a look...

http://www.rm.com/Support/GeneralDow...cref=DWN200100

Thank Post
    Cheers, that's the sort of thing.

I can easily see what points they are making and change them appropriately ie;

• Always get permission before installing, attempting to install or storing programs of any type on the computers.

I can change to;

Don't even think of installing anything, it's not allowed

Or words to that effect.

I'm also trying to decide wether to word it professionally so it sounds more authorative and hopefully taken more seriously. Or if I should go the 'Plain English Campaign' route witht he risk of it just been looked on as a joke.

Professional = sounds more authorative and serious but harder to understand
    Plain English = sounds a bit like it's not to be listened to but easy to understand

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,674 Posts
    Professional all the way - it doesn't have to be difficult to read or understand, just straightforward.
    pm me if you need any help - I am quite good at this sort of thing as I have done various courses on how to write reports, CV's and the like

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We have one that is very obviously a template if you want it let me know...

Thank Post
    If you look on most school websites you should be able to access an AUP, I know ours in on our website but it sounds a lot like the template you've found.

Thank Post

AUP Template

YHGfL are currently looking at developing an online AUP page that you will be able to click tick boxes and radio buttons and so on and at the end of the process will genrate an AUP that is applicable to your school. Watch this space....

Thank Post
    Are you looking for a student or staff one?

We use Securus and students are required to agree to the AUP when logging on or they're denied access to the system

I've attached a copy of our student AUP. I'm in the process of drafting a new staff AUP as the current one is 2 lines that basically says 'don't be naughty!'
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank Post

AUP for your consideration

I'm offering up for your consideration (and feedback) our AUP. We worked over pretty hard on what was a long and laborious document listing out the things that you couldn't do...pretty standard stuff. We felt that a number of the items are repetitive and so tried to take a different approach. The AUP we've got has two sides to it, the front is written in 'kid speak.' Written in terms we felt got the point across but on the student's terms. The back side is more serious, re-iterating the points made on the front, but in more cut and dried terms.

Both students and parents are required to sign it. Once signed, they do not have to re-sign each year. The signed doc is kept on record in their student folder.

Have a look and see if it meets your needs. I would love feed back, both good and bad on what people think about it so that we can improve it.
    Best regards,
    Sean

Thank Post
    Obviously, I can't comment on the law in Hong Kong, but if I were to use this in the UK, I would need to ensure that I was explicit about the fact that all internet use was monitored and logged. Under the terms of the data protection act, you need to tell them that you are doing this and they need to sign to say that they are aware that you are doing it. Then if they do something dodgy they have no wriggle room and you are perfectly entitled to release those logs to any authority who asks for them.

Fortunately, I have an IT Technician with a law degree on my staff.

I quote from the BECTA document Safeguarding children in a digital world: Developing an LSCB e-safety strategy (Annex C Page 1)

"It is crucial that you have an AUP that states clearly that your network is monitored and action will be taken against anyone misusing the network. These sanctions must be reflected in your behaviour policy.
    Your school AUP should be signed by all members of staff, pupils, parents and visitors.
    Do not be persuaded to divulge sensitive information without the correct procedure being followed. Always check the validity of the request."

Cheers,

Andrew

13. Thanks to ayoward from:

byron67 (8th April 2009)

Thank Post
    Dear Andrew,
    Good point. It's not explicit in our AUP that monitoring is going on and what or how this will be handled. I will amend and add wording that makes that part explicitly clear.

It must be pretty handy having your own legal council.
    Thanks and best regards

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ayoward View Post
    I quote from the BECTA document Safeguarding children in a digital world: Developing an LSCB e-safety strategy (Annex C Page 1)

"It is crucial that you have an AUP that states clearly that your network is monitored and action will be taken against anyone misusing the network. These sanctions must be reflected in your behaviour policy.
    Your school AUP should be signed by all members of staff, pupils, parents and visitors.
    Do not be persuaded to divulge sensitive information without the correct procedure being followed. Always check the validity of the request."
    Isn't it possible (for staff) to include the AUP in your staff handbook - by which it's agreed by default as a part of their conditions of employment? That's what we do at the moment, and never had any problems with it... they sign a specific bit of paper for their toys, sorry laptops though.

Thank Post
    I've attached my new AUP and would appreciate someone reading it and giving me feedback, just in case I've missed anything out!!

Thanks

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information