+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
School ICT Policies Thread, I need an AUP in School Administration; I would make sure that any AUP has specifically stated that computer use is monitored and action will be taken ...
    Thank Post
    I would make sure that any AUP has specifically stated that computer use is monitored and action will be taken against anyone breaking the rules.

Without this mentioned, it is unlikely you will be able to get access to the information you desire.

Thank Post
    I do mention in the AUP that staff can look at pupils files and memory sticks at any time and that internet usage is monitored (we are running PCE). I'm not sure how much more explicit I can make it. How do other people word it in their AUP?

Thank Post
    I can only give my opinion on it, so I can't be sure that what I say is applicable for all schools, especially if you are in a different region to us.

I would send it to my Local Authority and my ISP or regional broadband consortium and ask them to approve it as valid. That way you will have in writing that they will accept any requests that you may have to make to provide data. This is the best way to ensure you have covered all your bases.

Marc

4. Thanks to mwalpole from:

elloyd69 (8th April 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanks for the advice, I think I will send it to them, just so we're covered for any data requests.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elloyd69 View Post
    I've attached my new AUP and would appreciate someone reading it and giving me feedback, just in case I've missed anything out!!

Thanks
    I think the anology of a school locker is a good one.

The bit

"Do not access the internet unless for study or for school authorised/ supervised activities (this includes online games, video clips, etc)"

reads - to me at least - as if online games asnd video clips are authorised activities! Perhaps

"Do not access the internet unless for study or for school authorised/ supervised activities (for example online games, video clips etc are not permitted)"? JMO .

On a practical note the lines at the bottom of the 2nd page look a wee bit too small for a signature/name, so I'd suggest reformatting them slightly before the final 'print run'. You might also want to have a space for the student to put their username, if they're significantly different to their real one, I've found this saves loads of time when filing these things.

7. Thanks to grumpy_git from:

elloyd69 (9th April 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanks for that. Yeah, that was just the basic first copy and doesn't need printing for a while so I have time to tweek it. Cheers for the advice.

Thank Post

Review of elloyd69 AUP

Dear elloyd69,
    With the critic of your AUP I might unintentionally come across harsh but that is definitely NOT my intention. I hope this prompts a healthy conversation amongst us as I think one is needed.

The AUP you have is pretty much the standard fare that most schools have and that I have written in the past myself. Of late I've begun to take issue with some of thes standard clauses put in to AUPs, for example, the "Never arrange to meet anyone via the Internet." I believe that we need to stop putting this in to our AUPs. This is an issue that falls under the umbrella of "You should cover your mouth when sneezing" but is not one that we would police with respect to the student's use of our resources. Another reason is that it is not realistic and we know it. Finally, is this what we are trying to hold the kids to? If a student does give out personal information on the Internet or does arrange to meet someone they met via the Internet and a hobby site are we going to suspend their computer use? No, we won't, so it doesn't belong in the AUP.

I use the above as an example but there are other similar, standard AUP clauses, that just don't belong. The other big one is using the Internet only for research and school work. No one does this. The teachers aren't, I'm not, so it's a bit hypocritical and in the end, not a rule that we tend to enforce. We may say we have a policy about it, but I've not been at a school that really enforces it so I would argue that it should not be included in the policy.

What does everyone else think? What clauses should we be really including or not including in our AUPs?

10. Thanks to byron67 from:

elloyd69 (15th April 2009)

Thank Post
    Cheers

I know what you're saying but the reason they are kept in there are basically to cover our own backs and also in relation to Child Protection policy (meeting people from the Internet).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information