+ Post New Thread
School ICT Policies Thread, Helpdesks in School Administration; Hello all, just looking for a little information 1. do you have a helpdesk? 2. how do you priotirise the ...

Thank Post

Helpdesks

Hello all, just looking for a little information

1. do you have a helpdesk?
    2. how do you priotirise the workload?, do you take corridor requests/scraps of paper/laptops left on your desk?
    3. how fast do you resolve things?
    4. who monitors your performance?
    5. do you ever supply self help answers rather than jsut doing the job for the teacher
    6. how do students interact with the helpdesk?
    7. what is your school policy on requesting help? does it all have to be via helpdesk, how do you deal with people that refuse to play ball?

Thank Post
    1. Yes (GLPI - web-based for staff only)
    2. In-house SLA states that admin jobs have priority followed by the jobs that effect T&L most. Scraps of paper and corridor requests are pretty much ignored but if someone phones I will tell them to log it and make it clear that requesting things any other way may cause me to forget about the task.
    3. We try to resolve most issues in under a week - most take a lot less than a week and occasionally some things take longer.
    4. SLT (very loosley mind) - I intend to start sharing the stats from the helpdesk with them once everyone learns how to use it!
    5. Yes - 'empowering your users' is what it's known as
    6. They don't
    7. The school has a policy (which I wrote) and if people choose to ignore it they understand that their request may be ignored... SLT approved this

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,489 Times in 1,930 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1. Yes
    2. I work in a utilitarian way - the greatest good to the greatest number. With the exception of the SMT who get priority. I don't take scraps of paper etc... All requests have to be emailed, helpdesked or left via phone message. This ensures I have a record of all requests.
    3. I can't really give you a figure on this, as large tasks that wait weeks for 3rd parties sit in the help desk and mess up any statistic like that.
    4. I monitor my performance on helpdesk stuff. Official performance management comes from my line manager who goes on the general happiness of staff.
    5. Yes, as much as I can, but most of them are ignored.
    6. They don't. All requests go through staff
    7. 'Policy'? We don't have such a thing.

Thank Post
    1. Yes
    2. Officially, we don't take corridor requests and to all intents and purposes we just forget them if asked. But depends upon who and what is involved. All requests are directed to helpdesk.
    3. Depends on urgency, but within 1 hour officially. Some just take longer see next item
    4. Nobody
    5. Yes on the helpdesk website, but teachers are too busy (lazy) to read it.
    6. In person at the desk and occasionally by email.
    7. Officially, everything has to via helpdesk except when it is a different process to the maintain and restore process, e.g. new network build. New software/hardware install has to be authorised by management first and tracked separately.

Thank Post

Nope.

2. how do you priotirise the workload?, do you take corridor requests/scraps of paper/laptops left on your desk?

I do, but I also mention that I'm liable to be given another 20 jobs on the way back to my office and I'll forget at least one, probably their's, so they should email me it.

Depends entirely what it is and how busy we are.

Noone.

5. do you ever supply self help answers rather than jsut doing the job for the teacher?

It depends, we do have some help sheets for things, and students will often replace a mouse for themselves etc..

I don't have one.

7. what is your school policy on requesting help? does it all have to be via helpdesk, how do you deal with people that refuse to play ball?

I gave up on using a helpdesk because 1, noone used it so I hardly checked it which meant those that did use it got worse sercive than those emailing and 2, I didn't like the way I'd spend 2 minutes sorting a problem and 10 filling in boxes on what I'd done etc..

Thank Post

Helpdesk

No
    Yes (not, perhaps laptops left on the desk)
    ASAP (usually within the morning or afternoon they are logged. Certainly within a couple of days
    I do as IT Manager (and the customers I guess)
    5. do you ever supply self help answers rather than jsut doing the job for the teacher
    Yes (the old give a man afish proverb)
    We don't have one so they just email or turn up at the IT office
    N/A

Thank Post
    1. yes

2. immediate classroom problems, SMT, urgent admin, order they come in. No corridor requests, paper only if left in official pigeon hole

3. depends on the problem - aim is to have a fix or work round in place within 1/2 day

4 help desk manager then IT director

5 yes whenever we can but only if we are sure user understands it

6 turn up or email

7 we are free to ignore requests that aren't logged properly

Thank Post
    1. we have a software helpdesk if that's what you mean. everything gets logged in it if it's "for a customer" even if they ring it through. Routine/maintenance/pro-active type jobs don't get logged.

2.a there is a priority field on the helpdesk page, but staff generally fill that in according to their baseline mentality rather than the true priority. we reassign it according to the guidelines in the helpdesk (probably too long-winded for this post)
    2.b we tell them we prefer helpdesk/call/email. when people ask for things in the corridor I always ask them to email me with it as well or log it on the helpdesk

3. that would depend on the job and potentially on our workload. we don't have an sla for it, but then an sla would either be too generous to us or unrealistic to achieve.

4. directly, me (the IT Mgr). indirectly, the business manager / slt
    5. regularly. I haven't successfully converted them to searching the knowledgebase yet... one day!

6. they can come and visit or their teacher can phone us/email/log a call.

7. we aren't strict about it. people who stop you in the corridor when you're carrying boxes through 200 kids and then don't follow up with an email/logged call etc. tend to get what's coming to them!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread