+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
School ICT Policies Thread, Staff AUP in School Administration; as is consent to monitor computer and internet usage... Russ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Staff AUP

as is consent to monitor computer and internet usage...

Russ

Thank Post

Consent to monitor anything is necessary - therefore the use of VNC, etc. requires consent.

Consent does not necessarily mean asking the users and only being able to monitor the ones that give consent. It can mean informing the users that you will be monitoring them and giving them the option to opt out of having access.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

sorry meant inform it was early only just woekn up

Russ

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,774 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries

A bit of a late followup question here ...

We have the same AUP for staff and students ... and we include in it about not using the school systems for personal financial gain. This is a clause to stop people putting things on auction sites etc and then not handing over the goods, which would then mean it being tracked back to the school and all hell breaking loose and parent of X denies that their little darling would ever do that.

But we now have the problem of the admin staff are finally going to be filtered in their internet access ... and some of them use ebay ... alot.

We know that this is a decision that we (ok ... mainly me) have made, but it is also there to make sure *all* staff work to the same AUP. Teachers don;t have a problem but the admin staff are likely to kick up a stink.

I have be trying to decifer the remodelling stuff to find anything that says that all staff have to have equal access to facilities, and since we limit what teachers do due to their proximity with students we would also have to apply the same to admin staff to keep things "equal".

Has anyone actually come across any documentation (national agreement, NGfL, NCSL ...)?

I'll post our AUP in a few mins too.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,154 Times in 982 Posts
    Blog Entries

How about a compromise? Just allow the staff room and office computers access to EBay. That way you get to remove it from pupils eyes yet still keep the staff happy. Its better than having them pour paint strippper over your car whilst you're in the office.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,774 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries

The filtering we use is per-user (Symantec Web Security ... once it was the bee's knees ... now it has become the dog's dropping) ... so it doesn't really matter where someone is, that get the same policies applied to them.

We can go for extra layers of filters to allow for both (allow it via SWS, but block certain places via the additional filtering on the firewall) but this adds an extra layer of confusion when trying to track down why a perfectly good site happens to be blocked.

Teachers are happy with it ... they actually understand why the policy is there ... the issue is that the admin network was never filtered and now we have combined everything to a single domain they are going to have to get used to having workstations locked down so they cannot install whatever they want, can only use the school email, have to watch what language they use in emails etc ...

Admin staff have wanted to be treated as equals to teachers for a long time (as they fully deserve to be) but sometimes it means them having to give up a perk, not acquiring one.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,154 Times in 982 Posts
    Blog Entries

How about a compromise? Just allow the staff room and office computers access to EBay. That way you get to remove it from pupils eyes yet still keep the staff happy. Its better than having them pour paint strippper over your car whilst you're in the office.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

At Powys we have filtering set at county level - and that's the way I like it - it means any legal responsibility is thiers. County have a policy to deny all staff in the county access to comercial sites as many staf were spending work time shopping. The county have included this in thier AUP.

The interesting point that you may be interested in is that these restrictions are lifted at lunchtimes and after 5pm.

The school filter is seperate, we ARE allowed commerce sites! Although our AUP does state something about the misuse of such sites.

Thank Post

If filtering is per user, why not allow 'admin staff' access to ebay (not during working hours ) - then adjust your staff AUP to say that excemptions to the filter may be made for those users that are not around kids.

Besides... does it not beg the question of what they are doing all day if they have time to run ebay businesses? Surely the school will frown upon their staff running their own little businesses during office hours - I'm sure they'd say something if you started building computers for people while at work!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

yes in fact in leices you can be sacked for it...

mis use of company propertie...

russ

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by russdev
    yes in fact in leices you can be sacked for it...

mis use of company propertie...

russ
    I think it would be frowned upon anywhere and in industry it definatley WOULD NOT be tolerated. You can't ask to be taken seriously as a proffesional and then go taking the mick like that.

Occasionally using Ebay to buy items or doing a bit of online shopping can be tolerated, as long as it does not interfere with your work, but running an online shop... :?

Thank Post

As far as I'm concerned, Ebay is off-limits to all staff here regardless of Teacher or Admin staff. The only people who I think would kick off about it are people who annoy the hell out of me anyway so I'm not really bothered, but if anyone does have a problem I've found the clause in our Council AUP (which also applies to us) which says no personal financial transactions.

Either way, I would block completely simply for equality. You can't be seen to allow for one group of staff and not for another even if on the basis of working/not working with kids. Teachers won't see it that way & then they'll be even grumpier (if that's possible!).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

that last email was not very clear note to self make sure you wake up before posting..

i mean you can get sacked for doing any kind of thing at work for a personnel business from using internet to using phone, to getting work...

ebay issue well we allow it for staff and the design department used it last term to sell some old stuff...

We have rule that at break and much if you want to use net then fine but using it while meant to be working is a no no..

but then we give a certain lee-way checking of email in a admin period fine but going on dating site is not..

russ

Thank Post

So is anyone implementing / has anyone implemented this yet - from what we have here - http://www.russdev.com/edugeek/doku.php?id=staff_aup - for example.

I'd like to do this with both the staff and pupils - primarily the staff atm so they all know what is and isn't acceptable on the network.

What if they refused to agree to it? lol How can we deny them use of IT resources?

Regards
    N.

Thank Post

I've been in this post about 3 or 4 months now and will be forcing through an AUP at the start of term - although it will probably need to go through the governors first

I will be using the EduGeek AUPs (partly because I wrote the kids' one in the first place )

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast