+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
School ICT Policies Thread, Copyright of files store on the network in School Administration; Ok, I have read the other posts regarding copyright material from DVD, video music etc and it all seems that ...

Thank Post

Copyright of files store on the network

Ok, I have read the other posts regarding copyright material from DVD, video music etc and it all seems that there are laws which relate to each media platform used. All of which seem to be a little vague and I end up thinking that if you are in doubt, don’t do it.

However, recently some departments have been doing presentations and there have been a few people come to me with Video files not working in powerpoint . I realise this is to do with the way powerpoint uses video and links the pages to the video files and does not import them. It seems that the videos people have found have come from places like youtube, which is blocked in school. As a result they are saving the video files locally (from home) and now want to bring them onto the network for their presentation.

Where do we stand on copyright in this instance? I know if it was material that was bought (DVDs etc)we wouldn’t be able to do it, but how about videos/music from places like youtube?

Can anyone offer some advise please?

Thank Post

Re: Copyright of files store on the network

If the video contains copyrighted material, then you can't use it (indeed, it shouldn't even be on YouTube), but if not, then it's fair game. I think.

Thank Post

But there there lies the problem, other than going through all the files, how can I find out if the material is copyrighted? I dont know where kids (and staff for that matter) are obtaining these files. At the moment users are able to email in files to school so I am not able to ask about content of video or music. I know a similar thread has appeared for the use of MP3 in Music but trying to identify which ones were created by the pupils and which ones are simply downloaded tunes. Does this mean the same thing is needed for Video too?

How do other schools check content on their network? If by being responsible for the network, are we also responsible for the content stored?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Well sort of, every video on youtube is copyrighted to someone. Even home made videos done on a camera phone are copyrighted to the person who made it. Now I'm not sure, but I think when you upload to youtube you do wave some of your rights regarding copyright. However I don't think these include redistribution by 3rd parties. You would have to check youtubes T&C's to be sure, I can't read them as youtube is blocked here.

Thank Post

I dont use you tube and it's blocked here. Can anyone post the copyright info for youtube videos?

@Geoff: are you saying anything that has not been created by you(the user) is copyrighted. To play safe, it would be wise to only use media you create?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

yes, or you have permission to use.

Thank Post

Yeah, what Geoff says makes sense, far more so than my original reply!

Since the problem (in part) stems from YouTube being blocked so the teacher needing to redistribute the file, could you instead point them at the (presumably) unblocked teachertube instead? Then you just have the public performance issues to worry about...

Copyright is a much wider question than just videos imported into PowerPoint, though. As a related aside, remember that any resource which was made in another school, even if a teacher who now works for you created it at a previous school, the copyright belongs to the originating school, not you or the teacher who created it.

Thank Post

The issue of copyright has just been raised by pupils loading video into powerpoint. I want to make sure that we(both as a school and myself) are covered for storing/using any media in school.

I personally dont copy any media that I think may be copyrighted onto the network. That doesn'y mean that all the other users take this approach. What I want to know is where I stand on the network being used for storing and viewing of these files. I am enquiring to the LEA to see if they can shed some more light and provide me with a document which I can refer to.

@NickJones: I didn’t know that! But must admit most of the Resources that are given to me are form workshops the teacher has attended. Then a resource CD has been generated from the work they have done. I assume from the fact that the teacher has been involved in these workshops allows you to use the media as you see fit?

In the meantime, I will use the advice Geoff gives and tell teachers to only use files that our users have created. It cuts down on the "grey area"

Thanks guys.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by pallen
    What I want to know is where I stand on the network being used for storing and viewing of these files.
    Personally, you're fine - any offence is deemed to have been committed by the school as an entity, not you as an individual. It is therefore your Head or Chair of Governors who is in the firing line.

Resource CDs from workshops typically come copyright free, I believe. The person at the workshop is obviously expecting them to be used by the schools, so will have waived/given any rights of ownership. They do belong to the school, not the teacher who attended though (unless they did it on their own time with their own money, of course).

Taking your specific situation, what sort of videos are we talking about?

Thank Post

The video that prompted my interest in network copyright etc was regarding some planes obained via youtube. The clip I saw looked like some personal video footage of some air show. It seems that I have opend up other concerns regarding licences schools should have. After checking what licences we have, it looks like we haven't been sent all the docs for all the licences we thought we had. (nothing is ever easy is it!!)

The situation stands as of this moment in the LEA hands as they are going to check what licences cover schools under their agreements. I have requested some documentation that I can use as a reference for Video and Music files specifically, but have been told it may take a few days before they can get back to me.

It is not concerning me too much, but I do like to do things properly. With our network and computers being upgraded recently, it has prompted more interest from teachers who have previously shyed away from using technology. I would just like to be able to draw up some guidlines that outline the best course of action if they want to give presentations about their favourite singer etc.

Fow now, I wait...

Thank Post

The personal video footage would be copyrighted to whoever filmed it - somewhere in the Ts&Cs of Youtube, they would have signed those away, but I don't know if that waiver goes as far as people downloading them from YouTube or whether it just permits their use on the web site.

Can you post back when you do hear form your LEA, as I'd be interested to hear their answer (you've got me worried now too, you see!).

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by NickJones
    Personally, you're fine - any offence is deemed to have been committed by the school as an entity, not you as an individual. It is therefore your Head or Chair of Governors who is in the firing line.
    I wonder if most SMT/governers realise this. When dealing with failings in child protection or health and safety it's normally not enough to blame the minnion who erred. There should have been procedures in place to minimise the probability of such things happening.

OK the licensing of intellectual property may not be as life and death as CP or H&S but penalties for non-compliance can be as severe (including custodial sentences).

I wonder if NCSL do any modules on regulatory comformance for ICT. GrumbleDook do you know?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Blog Entries

The school is not liable if it has clearly set out a policy not to use copyrighted videos.

It is then deemed that the individual is in breach of their contract as well as being personally liable.

At the moment the NCSL materials are focussed on Strategic Leadership of ICT, preparing LAs and Schools involved in BSF (preparation for LEPs) but the course most likely to include this level of information will be the Certificate of School Business Management, or possibly the Diploma (next level up).

It is also expected that LAs wil provide guidance on the legalities on this sort of thing ... but from personal experience I can find very little information other than pointers towards things like DPA, FoIA, CDPA (Copyrights, designs and patents act) ... and then left to get on with it.

As asked previously ... if anyone does have examples of policies or procedures to do with this sort of thing it would be good to collate them to help provide guidance for others.

Thank Post

Quick update : The LEA are taking their time responding to my query. To be fair this is due to staffing issues out of anyones hands. But to cover myself and the school, we have decided to write our own policy which states that whilst we will do everything within our powers to uphold any licencing issues regarding the use of music and video files, responsibility will fall onto the user.

Can anyone confirm that the school creating their own document to remove content responsibilty from them to the end user would be enough? Or even better a sample document we could use as a template please?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Did they ever get back to you about this pallen?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast