+ Post New Thread
School ICT Policies Thread, Laptops and staff taking them off-site in School Administration; We have always had staff sign a form here when they are issued a laptop stating that if they wish ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries

Laptops and staff taking them off-site

We have always had staff sign a form here when they are issued a laptop stating that if they wish to take it offsite, they must cover its value (as our insurance doesn't cover it). So, they either have it covered under home insurance, need to take out insurance for it or just cover it from their own pocket should they have it stolen from their house.

No-one has had an issue with this until this current batch of laptops that have been going out. Our more militant unionists have huffed and puffed to be blunt.

Now, we offer 2 choices - 1. sign that form and be able to take the laptops home, or 2. sign a different form and leave it in school locked up when not in use.

We feel this is fair, as we don't have to provide them with a laptop to take home at all, as teachers have their PPA time, plus the school is open until at least 8pm at night if they wish to use equipment more.

Insurance would cost staff around 50 a year if they had to take it out themselves, having looked at it and done it myself previously.

What do others do?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    At my current school, they are covered. My last school didn't cover them. As you point out, if you aren't required to give them for home use, they aren't required to take them home. If they don't like the terms offered, they can suck it. If anyone tried to take it to their union they wouldn't have a leg to stand on, so feel free to call their bluff if anyone tries to press the point.

Our signature form also asks staff to sign that they understand that any personal use at home counts as a taxable benefit, and that staff must declare this to HMRC themselves; the school assumes the equipment will only be used for work so does not declare it on their behalf. If you don't have that on your form, add that one too and it might put some more off taking them home.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    At my current school, they are covered. My last school didn't cover them. As you point out, if you aren't required to give them for home use, they aren't required to take them home. If they don't like the terms offered, they can suck it. If anyone tried to take it to their union they wouldn't have a leg to stand on, so feel free to call their bluff if anyone tries to press the point.
    I have done the bluff calling, and it caused more huffing...

Our signature form also asks staff to sign that they understand that any personal use at home counts as a taxable benefit, and that staff must declare this to HMRC themselves; the school assumes the equipment will only be used for work so does not declare it on their behalf. If you don't have that on your form, add that one too and it might put some more off taking them home.
    We have a separate form for this, which I believe is signed yearly to cover each tax period.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts
    HMRC really don't care about employees using a work provided laptop for a bt of personal use:

EIM21613 - Particular benefits: accommodation, supplies and services: meaning of not significant use for private purposes

Ben

Thank Post
    We cover them but the excess is ... excessive! We do charge departments for laptop damage to try and encourage HOD's to encourage their staff to look after equipment. Since I've been here we have had one theft while not in school (stolen from a car), but loads of broken screens/keyboards etc. That neglect and abuse annoys me more than theft would. (annoy is a poor choice of words).

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    HMRC really don't care about employees using a work provided laptop for a bit of personal use
    Indeed, we do actually qualify it by saying that significant personal use is a taxable benefit, rather than any (which is what I carelessly wrote above).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread