+ Post New Thread
School ICT Policies Thread, Removal of images/work on website in School Administration; Regarding a website policy I'm working on, for publishing material we will: - Get a general consent from pupils to ...

Thank Post

Removal of images/work on website

Regarding a website policy I'm working on, for publishing material we will:

- Get a general consent from pupils to use their images and work on the school website, and run an 'opt-out' scheme for those who don't want to participate.

- Obtain verbal permission for each submission that contains an image or work.

I'm fairly certain that these procedures will reduce (to a workable number) the amount of requests we recieve for deleting specific material from the website, whether the material has been published in error or the person has just changed their mind about a specific item.

However, I can foresee a predicament arising whereby a pupil or teacher who has given permission for an extended period of time suddenly turns around and says, 'Please take all my published images and work off the website'. That may cause a huge amount of work for the website administrator, and I don't think it would be even possible to fulfil such a request in some cases.

So what to do about that?
    Is it feasible to put in a couple of disclaimers in the policy, such as:

- We reserve the right not to remove material older than three months from the date of a removal request.

- The permission given to publish is not time-limited. We therefore reserve the right to keep material on the website indefinitely, even after departure from the school.

If we ensure pupils and teachers are aware of these disclaimers when they give their permission, would it stand up? Is it reasonable? Is it legal?

Your advice please.
    Cheers.

Thank Post

Re: Removal of images/work on website

I don't see anything wrong with that, just do ensure you have your back covered.

Don't go shooting yourself in the foot by not adding in disclaimers that would have increased your work load if they weren’t included, or as you say, impossible to complete.

EDIT: if that makes any sense at all... basically ensure you include disclaimers that will ensure your workload isn't increased!

Thank Post

This is a lot like developing policies for sites like this, forums, etc...

Think of it as the "Take Hart" equivalent of the Gallery.. ie: the children and staff can send in their work but don't expect to see it or get it back. ie: they lose control over it regarding the site.

Most all websites have this approach to stop people throwing the baby out with the bathwater when they get hacked off with whoever and want out.

Of course making that fly in a closed environment (ie: school) is going to require everyone agree to it and backside covering up the yazoo but you already know that

Thank Post

Thanks for your opinions.
    lol... Take Hart! Ah the memories!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread