+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Recommended Suppliers Thread, Any one used a company called Mikesoft? in Purchasing and Trading; Tempting to start a poll: How many sales calls can you get reception to bounce BEFORE the head askes you ...
    Thank Post

Re: Any one used a company called Mikesoft?

Tempting to start a poll:

How many sales calls can you get reception to bounce BEFORE the head askes you to create a 'trashcan' voicemail?

In my case it was the point the receptionist began making up stories about my fact finding tour of the middle east.......

(Don't you just love the April/May budget release - everybody loves you - and your capitation fund)

Thank Post

Anybody actually bought off them? We are treating them with GREAT suspicion. They have come back unbelievely cheap, so we do not want to part with £22,000 with a dodgy company.

They are £60 a system cheaper than the people we normally buy off, and these are offering 4 year warrenty and free unpacking of pc's and placing on desks. We do not see how they can do it at the price they are saying.

Would you say £340 for a 17" TFT, intel core2duo 2.0ghz, 1gb ram, 160 gig hard, intel branded motherboard, 4 year warrenty and unboxed and placed on desk is too cheap?

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Quackers
    Anybody actually bought off them? We are treating them with GREAT suspicion. They have come back unbelievely cheap, so we do not want to part with £22,000 with a dodgy company.

They are £60 a system cheaper than the people we normally buy off, and these are offering 4 year warrenty and free unpacking of pc's and placing on desks. We do not see how they can do it at the price they are saying.

Would you say £340 for a 17" TFT, intel core2duo 2.0ghz, 1gb ram, 160 gig hard, intel branded motherboard, 4 year warrenty and unboxed and placed on desk is too cheap?
    Nearly. But when you look at their prices, they aren't much different from lower end offerings from Dell. They do give a good warranty, but I wondered how they would deliver their side of the bargain given their relatively small size. If Dell offer me three years onsite next business day (which they do) for less than £50 a system, I can pretty much count on it that they will be around for the next three years to honour that agreement. If ANother company, much smaller than Dell or HP, tell me the same thing even though I might save another £90 per system, I think I would look at them with very slant eyes and take my money somewhere else.

A four year warranty is a *very good* deal at that price and with that spec, no doubt about it. Just have a good think about it is all I am suggesting...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 908 Posts

I would find out if they subcontact the warranty out, a lot do, a couple of big names are Lasco and Ikon Office Supplies they are both big warranty partners for a lot of the smaller firms, so even if the supplier goes bust your warranty is with the warranty firm so should still be ok.

Also, I would avoid Intel Motherboards, never had anything but problems with them.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by john

Also, I would avoid Intel Motherboards, never had anything but problems with them.
    How odd, as they have been my most reliable out of the mix of boards we have.....

Thank Post

[quote]john wrote:

How odd, as they have been my most reliable out of the mix of boards we have.....[quote]

I would have to agree Intel boards have good reliability even if they are a little expensive.

Thank Post

We get for £260 (ish) - 3ghz celeron, 1gb ram, 60gig harddisk 17" tft.

one screen one box. no kb/mouse extras.

Thank Post

We get for £260 (ish) - 3ghz celeron, 1gb ram, 60gig harddisk 17" tft.
    Sounds about right to me

Thank Post

As a quick comparison, this would cost you around £300.00 with us. This is without us placing PCs on your desk though and with a 3 year on-site warranty which is sub contracted out to Logistics International whose clients include RM, HP, Dell and Simply.

This isn't a blatant attempt at trying to make a sale here by the way, I'm just offering you a comparison for your records.

Hope this helps

Dan

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by kingswood

Nearly. But when you look at their prices, they aren't much different from lower end offerings from Dell. They do give a good warranty, but I wondered how they would deliver their side of the bargain given their relatively small size. If Dell offer me three years onsite next business day (which they do) for less than £50 a system, I can pretty much count on it that they will be around for the next three years to honour that agreement. If ANother company, much smaller than Dell or HP, tell me the same thing even though I might save another £90 per system, I think I would look at them with very slant eyes and take my money somewhere else.

A four year warranty is a *very good* deal at that price and with that spec, no doubt about it. Just have a good think about it is all I am suggesting...
    I had a call from the lovely Nikki at MikeSoft today, concerned about my own reference to the all-in-one solution that they provide and about the general course of this thread. Apparently it has led to some lost sales.

Now, after some clarification by Nikki about the general structure of the support system at the company and a little explanation about how they can provide an on-site warranty the way they do, my own concerns have been negated. I see no reason not to look at MikeSoft now and consider them in any school purchase alongside other companies like Dell or HP.

References to "turkey basting tin" were inappropriate, though tongue in cheek and my apologies go out to both Mikesoft and their sales-person for any offence taken.

Thanks to Nikki for maintaining some restraint over this matter!

Paul

Thank Post

I don't think smaller companies test computers and just churn them out. I heard that the likes of Dell and HP do soak tests etc.

Thank Post

My past experiences of this company have been a good, cheap, decent , honest machine!!
    A school I used to work at , bought 10 Mikesoft pc's, we told them they were for RM CC3, they put an Intel Pro E1000 NIC in there as well!! not sure if they charged extra for it!
    They seem to use Foxconn Cases and Boards, Microsoft Black PS2 keyboards and USB mice and a standard 17" TFT!
    All seemed robust, sturdy, etc... Just what we were after!!
    And no I Do Not work for them, they pproached the school, they have bought a few things now!
    Technical guy was helpful aswell (Which is nice)!

Thank Post

Yes. We had a fantastic round of quotes from them recently, and I actually couldn't believe that Dell managed to creep in there (albeit with systems not as well configured) and win the bid. I will be contacting Mikesoft again in the near future to give them another chance at supplying us. The sales team were fantastic and I felt a little sad that it didn't go their way.

So I would have no hesitation now in saying that you should at least have a chat with them. They are very flexible and always pleasant.

Paul

Thank Post

Exclamation

I can't find this Mikesoft company, do they still trade?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kingswood View Post
    What- "MikeSoft" who, when they call the school asking to talk to someone in IT Support, fail to pronounce their name properly (consistently) and instead *let* receptionists and others believe that it is "Microsoft" who are calling you?

Yes. I had the sales guy for our area out one day last term and he took up nearly three hours of my time showing off a turkey basting tin...I mean, an all in one computer system. It was very crude. And cheap looking.

Paul
    Just to re iterate the showing off a turkey basting tin lol
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 20th September 2008 at 06:49 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast