+ Post New Thread
Recommended Suppliers Thread, WDS/SCCM consultants with education experience pref in west midlands area in Purchasing and Trading; Hi At our school we have introduced WDS as our method of deploying images, at the same time I was ...
    Thank Post

WDS/SCCM consultants with education experience pref in west midlands area

Hi

At our school we have introduced WDS as our method of deploying images, at the same time I was also recommended to look at Novell Zenworks 10.2. This was coming from a Novell guy who did some virtualisation work for us as he was from a Novell background and said it was far more powerfull than SCCM.

I originally started to look at WDS and we have managed to get it working at a very basic level, we had a few problems on the way and we have got it working so that we can deploy a wim file from a WDS server to the client. The next stage is really to automate it all so there is no need for a technical person to be at the end users desk. The aim here is to make it fully zero touch rather than a lite touch deployment, so if a machine is playing up and we want to reimage we can go to a web console or similar, pick a machine click a few buttons and it will reimage a machine and next boot, give it the correct computer name if it's already been on the network, join it to the domain etc etc.

I am aware that there is a lot of work on the Microsoft side to get this working and it will likely involve using SCCM.

We have made more progress using zenworks but its been a nightmare just to image a machine and drivers and coming from a Microsoft background its been a struggle to fully understand a Novell product. As you know us techies have limited time with so many things on the ball that to spend a lot of time on it would not be possible. I recently got a quote to get a consultant in to get zenworks working and showing us what we need to do for it to work in our environment with the requirements we had. Its a lot of money and because of the issues we have had I am now thinking whether we should get a Microsoft SCCM consultant in to see what can be offered and at what cost.

Does anyone know of any Microsoft SCCM consultant's/companies that they recommend for this type of work? It would literally be getting us up and running with this, there are a few goals we are looking to achieve mainly from a Windows 7 deployment.

If anyone can recommend please give me a shout.

Thank Post
    The SCCM documentation on Technet is very good and it's not that bad to set up once you get your head around it. Given that SCCM will cost you about £30 p.a. on a Schools Agreement, you will need to try hard to justify the expense of consultancy.

I would expect a SCCM 'expert' to spend 1 day analysing your systems, 3 days installing and creating a base image and then another day for documentation.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread