+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Recommended Suppliers Thread, Old equipment disposal - Free companies? in Purchasing and Trading; http://www.maxitech.biz/new/index.html This company was featured on BBC Working Lunch a while back. Didn't see the festure myself a family member ...
    Thank Post

Re: Old equipment disposal - Free companies?

http://www.maxitech.biz/new/index.html

This company was featured on BBC Working Lunch a while back. Didn't see the festure myself a family member forwarded me the link as they new I was looking to offload some stuff.

Never used them in the end as a fellow edugeeker had the stuff off me after I advertised on this board.

So any feedback would about this company would be good, should you use them.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by WITCH
    I've said it before and I will say it again:

Freecycle it!

Freecycle is a yahoo group all over the country where people advertise stuff they don't want and others come and get it

I managed to get rid of 27 working and 8 non-working computers this way, with no cost to the school (no thanks either, but that is another matter!)

A warning though - you might want to set up a new email for freecycle - you get a lot of emails!!
    The main problem with doing this or giving equipment to staff, pupils etc is that you leave yourself open to allsorts of legal and insurance problems. As well as end of life issues.

If some who receives one of your machines is electocuted or it sets someone's house on fire then you and your school are liable. Your insurance company will not cover you and most of your IT budjet for the next 5 years will go in settling the claim.

To make a few quid or save a few quid in disposal costs is it really worth it?

Thank Post

if anyone on here is in the yorkshire area, there is a company called M J K Recycling, http://mjkitrecycling.tsohost.co.uk/index.htm these guys will pick up for free if you have below 30 monitors but will only charge you a little amount if over this. Very good service too. Also there are a few companies out there that will buy your old equipment back, like www.buy-it-back.com.

Thank Post

actually there is a bigger problem. Seems that the Data Protection Act 2001 overrides WEEE and RoHS, such that if data is present on the hard drives, then it must be securely erased before disposal.

Unfortunately, just removing the drives leaves a pile of dead drives which cannot be recycled or reused due to DPA, but must be under WEEE.
    DPA does not specify the exact level of erasure required, and obviously faulty drives cannot be erased effectively in any case.

The best way to solve this unfortunate problem is to exempt hard drives from the WEEE rules, but as far as I can tell this has not been done.

IMHO if you need to get rid of old PC's the best way to do this is to strip them down yourself, sell or give away the components to anyone who wants them, and then recycle the rest as scrap metal.

(or better still sell the machines minus HDD's and power cables for 1 UKP each, and a signed disclaimer, having first removed all serial markings.)

Oh yeah, and Ebay is also quite effective, have sold a lot of equipment this way.

-A

(who is voting UKIP in the next election)

Thank Post

Hard drives or any component are not covered by WEEE as they do not run off an electrical supply. It is however covered if it is inside the machine or an external caddy as it can then be powered.

A big hammer and screwdriver is usually seen as just about the only way of fully protecting data. M.o.d. and NHS insist on all drives going through a metal shreder.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

M.o.d. and NHS insist on all drives going through a metal shredder.
    Incineration is also acceptable. just remember to clean out all the left over metal parts from the incinerator occasionally.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

@garthsmojo

That is easy to solve you do what we do. We created a transfer on owernship form as soon as they sign the form the item becomes there legal liability which includes correct disposal of it.

To be honest anyway I would prefer our computers to be recycled then goto to disposal company (currently ours go to caretaker who gives them to friend who sends stuff to Africa)

Russ

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by conundrum
    actually there is a bigger problem. Seems that the Data Protection Act 2001 overrides WEEE and RoHS, such that if data is present on the hard drives, then it must be securely erased before disposal.

Unfortunately, just removing the drives leaves a pile of dead drives which cannot be recycled or reused due to DPA, but must be under WEEE.
    All the WEEE disposal companies I've spoken to offer secure data removal as part of the service. I don't know what method they use, but nor do I care :-)

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by russdev
    @garthsmojo

That is easy to solve you do what we do. We created a transfer on owernship form as soon as they sign the form the item becomes there legal liability which includes correct disposal of it.

To be honest anyway I would prefer our computers to be recycled then goto to disposal company (currently ours go to caretaker who gives them to friend who sends stuff to Africa)

Russ
    Transfer of ownership does not get you out of your legal resposibility with regard to end of life, weee or data protection. If you give a P.C to anyone with any paper work it is your responsibility to ensure that that person will not dump it illegally or give it some who will.

If a monitor and pc with your label or etched markings is dumped in a country lane you can be fined between £75-£50,000. If there is data on the hard drive you can be fined a further £5000 and be sentenced to 2 years in prison. If it were a laptop with a battery there could also be a further £5000 rohs fine.

This all come under DUTY OF CARE which came into force in 1991. You can no longer say some guy came and picked it up and took it away. Until the item reaches its end of life and is disposed of or sold to a company (not end user) who take on end of life resposiblity, then you are liable for that item where every it goes for the rest of its life. This also applys to sell stuff on ebay etc.

There are plenty of asset management companies who will pay you for your kit or charity / recycling projects who will take you kit for free. The choice is yours but giving them staff and kids should not be one of them. By all means give them to the charity yourself but leave any chance of machines ending up going straight from you to end users. £5000 will buy a lot of nice new IT kit but not if you get fined.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by garthsmojo
    Transfer of ownership does not get you out of your legal resposibility with regard to end of life, weee or data protection.
    By that argument, it is the manufacturer who is going to catch the fine if I sling my old tat into a skip. All they did was transfer the ownership to me, after all.

Do you have a reference for your statement?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

No transfer does get you out of it same as selling your car you sign log book over.

As long as on form it says "person named above takes sole responsibility of item including but not limited to correct disposal of item" there is also another legal term which we are just finding out.

Form is signed by all parties you are voided of liability only thing would dpa.

But will be able to tell you in few weeks as we are getting lea legal bod's to confirm lot of this.

Russell

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C
    Quote Originally Posted by garthsmojo
    Transfer of ownership does not get you out of your legal resposibility with regard to end of life, weee or data protection.
    By that argument, it is the manufacturer who is going to catch the fine if I sling my old tat into a skip. All they did was transfer the ownership to me, after all.

Do you have a reference for your statement?
    All these only apply once an item is deemed no longer useful to you. It does not apply to a new product or to a product that has benn refurbished and resold by an asset management company.

The following is taken from the DEFRA website.

"What is the duty of care?

The Duty of Care is set out in section 34 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 and associated regulations. It applies to anyone who is the holder of controlled waste.

Persons concerned with controlled waste must ensure that the waste is managed properly, recovered or disposed of safely, does not cause harm to human health or pollution of the environment and is only transferred to someone who is authorised to receive it. The duty applies to any person who produces, imports, carries, keeps, treats or disposes of controlled waste or as a broker has control of such waste. "

And i am affraid as a producer of waste, i.e IT equipment under WEEE, then this applies to all educational establishments. Even if you ring a number out of the yellow pages you still have a duty of care to ensure that you took reasonable steps to ensure that the items will not be fly tipped. This could be just as simple as asking what they do with it and checking maybe one level down the chain to ensure that this is true, Or ensuring that they have waste tranfer notes or waste carrier licenses.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by russdev
    No transfer does get you out of it same as selling your car you sign log book over.

As long as on form it says "person named above takes sole responsibility of item including but not limited to correct disposal of item" there is also another legal term which we are just finding out.

Form is signed by all parties you are voided of liability only thing would dpa.

But will be able to tell you in few weeks as we are getting lea legal bod's to confirm lot of this.

Russell
    No piece of paper can get you out of duty of care. You have the responsibilty to ensure that within your reasonable control you must ensure the correct disposal of all waste, end of life or discarded materials.
    Selling them on ebay or giving them to some bloke on free cycle does not do this. The only ways of legal disposing of IT equipment is to donate it to a charity group, sell it to a company/ asset management (not end user), or pay a registered waste carrier to take it away. Anything else is in one way or another leaving you open to fines and legal action.

I worked at a university that was fined a total of £15,000 because someone in the nursing department decided to get a guy with a van to come and clear out a cupboard of IT equipment. This equiment later turned up in a country lane complete with asset tags. After a lengthy investigation the university was found guilty for not having a disposal policy that all staff knew about.

A quick call to the environment agency on 08708 506 506 will confirm this.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

But and this is big but if you transfer owernship of item to said party they become owner and then they have duty of care given to them as new owners of the item.

Anyway as said will know one way or another in about week when we have legal bods look at I will post result here.

Thank Post

@garthsmojo

There has to be more to it than that. If a seller is liable for damaged/harm caused any faulty equipment sold "as is" then surely car boot sales and the sale of antique machinery/electronics would be banned. You couldn't sell a dilapidated house even if the buyer accepted the need for restorative building work.

Much of industry and commerce would grind to halt if the sale of second hand equipment was banned even if the seller could prove that they did not attempt to deceive the buyer.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast