+ Post New Thread
Recommended Suppliers Thread, Brochures in Purchasing and Trading; Ok. It seems the most popular way of suppliers reaching you is through the good old fashioned way of a ...
    Thank Post

Brochures

Ok. It seems the most popular way of suppliers reaching you is through the good old fashioned way of a brochure, leaflet or flyer through the post. 3 times a year, we print a small A5 brochure just showcasing some of the products we offer. We then mail this to 42000 educational establishments nationwide. It is wrapped in clear polystyrene with the address on the back, marked FAO The IT Manager.

We think that an extremely large number of these don't ever make it past the secretary, receptionist etc which is why we like to then follow up with a phone call to try and find out if it reached the IT department. Sending out this many brochures is very costly so we like to make sure it's reached the intended person.

Are there any ways we can improve on the way we send this or whose attention we mark it for etc so it has more chance of reaching you? Is it better to seal the brochure in an envelope marked for the IT department so it doesnt get thrown out at the first hurdle by the gatekeeper? Obviously the more brochures we can get through to the IT departments, the less we have to try and follow these up.

Once a brochure does reach you, what sort of content would you like to see? We only print a small brochure, probably 20-28 pages. We usually showcase our PCs, laptops, components, peripherals etc. What products would you like to see? Would you like to see more helpful information than products? Any features you would like?

Again, any comments will be appreciated.

Dan

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,626 Times in 1,455 Posts

Re: Brochures

I throw most brochures and catalogues straight in the paper recycling as I'd rather check the website for updated specifications and pricing and then email/ring as needed to confirm these or to squeeze a better quote out of you.

Ben

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by plexer
    I throw most brochures and catalogues straight in the paper recycling as I'd rather check the website for updated specifications and pricing and then email/ring as needed to confirm these or to squeeze a better quote out of you.

Ben
    The main idea of the brochure is to direct potential customers to our website where pricing is up to date. It's just trying to find out the best way of making sure this brochure reaches you to make you aware of our company.

Thank Post

why not create a digital brochure, a number of magazies we now receive (free) come in an electronic form.

Ive actually done our school prospectus in this way also, surely this way an email address is all you need, massive savings costs, also i prefer to read on screen to be honest.

I could even direct you to a flash version which is open source, with dynamic page creation!

Thank Post

I'm with Plexer on this.

Also, I find if the brochure looks professional I will give it a flick through, but I do have my prefered supliers.

I honestly think the best way, and this will save you money, is to e-mail a link to an online brochure.

It needs to be really catching to make me give you a call.

Perhaps phoning around first and then getting the correct e-mail / name of person in charge of ICT would help as well.

We've got one company (not ICT) that send out nearly 70 of the same brochures. I get 4 of those becasue they can't spell my name right and becasue the old ICT people have left.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by ninjabeaver

I honestly think the best way, and this will save you money, is to e-mail a link to an online brochure.
    In time, this will be our preferred method but this requires a good quality email database which takes a lot of time to build up. It's catch 22 because the only way to build this up is to either call a school and ask for the IT email address (obviously there is an unsubscribe option in all of our emails) or to direct traffic to our website where the potential customer can sign up to receive our weekly special offer email. The best way to direct traffic to our website is to post something to all the schools like a flyer or a brochure.

We currently send out a weekly email which works quite well but until we have a large opt-in only database, this will not work as a main source of advertising.

Thank Post

ok understand this, but why not start pushing something now?

get the email address for all the schools from the educaiton authroity?

I can get every email address for every school im birmingham at the drop of a hat! primary and secondary, colleges....

are you saying you dont want to send out un-solicited mail?

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by danIT

I can get every email address for every school im birmingham at the drop of a hat! primary and secondary, colleges....

We don't want to be known as spammers and annoy people who do not wish to receive our special offers. Anyone can get hold of some software that crawls websites, taking email addresses off of them and putting them in to a database. We don't want this. Even if a company did choose to do this, the email addresses would all be 'office@, info@, admin@' etc. We want a good quality email database where the people actually sign up and wish to be updated with offers. As I said, these take time to build up so we have to find ways of collecting these email addresses.

Thank Post

Why not email advertising@edugeek.net and be one of the first to use this site to promote yours

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by alan-d
    Why not email advertising@edugeek.net and be one of the first to use this site to promote yours
    I have done this and have all the details but looking at the advertising page, it's not ready yet. As soon as this is ready, we will be looking in to ways of advertising with EduGeek.

In the mean-time, all of your comments are very useful and appreciated.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,111 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Elky
    Quote Originally Posted by danIT

We don't want to be known as spammers and annoy people who do not wish to receive our special offers. Anyone can get hold of some software that crawls websites, taking email addresses off of them and putting them in to a database. We don't want this. Even if a company did choose to do this, the email addresses would all be 'office@, info@, admin@' etc. We want a good quality email database where the people actually sign up and wish to be updated with offers. As I said, these take time to build up so we have to find ways of collecting these email addresses.
    Thank you, thank you, thank you ... there is nothing worse than someone else giving out my email address which ends up on a list for email circulars ... this is the principle reason why EduGeek has never, and will never, send out bulk messages to get people to subscribe to the site. We rarely even send out bulk PMs ...

Thank Post

I think if the mail is adressed to the specific people, it is more likely to be read especially if its addressed to someone like "The Network Manager", "ICT Department", "Person In Charge of ICT" etc.

Also the difficulty I find in browsing through catalogues is the sheer amount that I receive in a week. One thing I would suggest your catalouge does have is an easy to understand index so you can get directly to a specific peice of equipment you are looking for, rather then going through the whole catalouge to find the product not even mentioned.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts

More specific names are needed as Sylv3r has said, Print Consumerable buyer, Reprographics Manager, Network Manager, IT Director etc rather than FAO the IT department.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information