+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Recommended Suppliers Thread, Thanks to Net-Ctrl - Ruckus Wireless in Purchasing and Trading; being a silent drive means that ruckus didnt view it as a proper drive, just as a folder. Took a ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,878 Times in 1,396 Posts
    Blog Entries
    being a silent drive means that ruckus didnt view it as a proper drive, just as a folder. Took a while to set up but I can dig up the paperwork and send it to you if you like.

Thank Post
    Took a while to set up but I can dig up the paperwork and send it to you if you like.
    yes please (a web link would do )

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    We have 8.0.1.0 build 15 - is this the same as yours?
    I've downloaded and installed 8.1.0.2.3 from the net-ctrl site.

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    Well - touch wood and all that - no reports of any problems this week - lets hope it continues

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Your making me sick. Ruckus is the best that I don't have it.

Thank Post
    Remember - al lthe reports I'd seen in the past said it was brilliant and just worked but the reality was different when I actually came to use it.

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    Remember - al lthe reports I'd seen in the past said it was brilliant and just worked but the reality was different when I actually came to use it.

regards

Simon
    Blasphemer!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    Blasphemer!
    Better not post our findings yet then!!!! I can't afford to be burnt at the stake!!

Thank Post
    I just say what I see

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up Net-Ctrl - Ruckus Wireless

Ruckus Wireless - Note: this has been sat in my drafts for a while now, but i have just edited it and thought it was about time i published it on here. lol

As some of you might be aware I have no come out of the public sector and now work in the private sector, but I just wanted to make a few comments towards the people at net-ctrl whom help implement the Managed Wireless Network at the Secondary School I was working at prior to the move.

We contacted Net-Ctrl due to a solution we was looking for initially for our Site Manager who lives on the site grounds and connects to the main school network via wireless. He was doing this beforehand connecting his desktop computer to a Colubris Access Point which was located in the closest point to his house in the school. Due to the performance he asked us to find a solution to improve this.

Due to some of the obstacles in the way and the fact it was quite a fair distance from the location of the computer to the school we thought about the ruckus technology straight away using a meshed access point. And due to the way the Ruckus AP’s deal with obstacles it was pretty much a sold product.

Mark and Stuart from Net-Ctrl initially came in to speak to us about a site wide deployment, due to budget cut backs and the fact we never had much money at the time he was fully aware of the fact that we could not do a full deployment but still took the time to show us how we could do it, with in depth site plans and the loan of Standard Ruckus Access Points.

I must admit the trial went on for much longer than first anticipated and thankfully mark made sure that we could carry on to do this and made sure those AP’s remained with us until the access points were purchased by us. The basic B/G Access points worked a treat, so we knew we would not have any problems with the more advanced N Standard wireless access points.

I’m not going to hide the fact that there were no problems with the more advanced AP’s because that would not give people the true image of what happened but even with this in mind it did not bother us as Mark and Stuart worked really hard to get the Firmware upgraded to solve the problem with the Mesh on the AP’s which I will also admit was not totally there fault in the end it was also due to the fact the Root AP was plugged into an Old D-Link Switch. Once the firmware bug was fixed and the Root AP was plugged into the core network the solution with the N Standard Dual Band AP’s the product once again was back in full form and has worked as it should since. Getting Speeds of around 250Mbps bearing in mind that with the Dual Band you can get up to 600Mbps but with the conditions that the AP was in and the fact that at B/G standard you could only get 54mbps it were outstanding.

All in all I think that Net-Ctrl did an outstanding job and a company whom I would recommend highly, they did me proud as I must admit it did take some time to get the right people on side for this brand but all in all I think it has worked out to be the best solution we could possibly have brought for our Managed Wireless. I am not saying that other technologies would not of worked the same but to do a site wide deployment it was going to cost a lot more.

Net-Ctrl even put in touch with some very senior people at Ruckus in the USA who also worked with us very close to solve the problem that we did have and for that itself just shows how fantastic the support is from Net-Ctrl and Ruckus themselves.

I’m not going to write an essay as I could probably be here all night saying how much I thank the team over there, they know how grateful I was and I just wanted to make the rest of the community aware of our deployment.

As I said earlier, I am no longer working at the school in question but I do know that the Network Manager there is going to continue to deploy the rest of the wireless access points as and when budget becomes available and I am sure that if anyone local to the school whom wanted to have a look at the solution and speak to the school in regards to the thoughts and have a look at the deployment he would be more than happy to allow this. (under Sandwell LEA by the way)

Anyhow, once again thank you Mark and Stuart for all your hard work, I learnt a lot through-out the initial deployment and I can’t thank you enough for the support you gave me during the time. Keep up the good work guys and I am sure people who have dealt with net-ctrl for solutions would say the same.

James.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,878 Times in 1,396 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A thoughtful post James! I am sure they will thank you for it! It's good to see that Ruckus and Net-CTRL could help you web with your budget constraints!!

Good luck in your endevours for the future!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hi James

Many thanks for the kind words, I am glad our service reflected what we promised.

We have enjoyed working with you and look forward to working with you again in the future.

Juts a note to say that at your old school have just received a delivery of an addtional 14 access points, so the role out is happening :-)

Cheers

Mark

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkPower View Post
    Hi James

Many thanks for the kind words, I am glad our service reflected what we promised.

We have enjoyed working with you and look forward to working with you again in the future.

Juts a note to say that at your old school have just received a delivery of an addtional 14 access points, so the role out is happening :-)

Cheers

Mark
    Great Stuff! i knew it would not be long as it was required to do the things they wanted to do for area's so very pleased to hear that is going ahead!

Thank Post
    Great thread! I have been looking for a company to appraoch regards to implementing a wireless solution. Just been on the phone to them. Long over.......due!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123