+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Recommended Suppliers Thread, Spice up Your Life in Purchasing and Trading; Spiceworks - Free Network Monitoring Software for Network Management Spiceworks just rules, and this is why.. - Its a free, ...
    Thank Post

Spice up Your Life

Spiceworks - Free Network Monitoring Software for Network Management

Spiceworks just rules, and this is why..

- Its a free, Very easy to install helpdesk and inventory system.

- It will take a inventory of all your items and software automaticly and you can set it to scan every week or so, or every day when the mood takes you... It also Loads the OU's out of AD so you don't have computers everywhere. (unless your AD is messy...)

- It will tell you when machines have out of date AV, when printers are running low on toner, when hardisks are running out of space. It will email you when servers go offline, and will email if you ask it to about many other events!

- Its a free, Very easy to install helpdesk and inventory system.

- Its helpdesk software will pull tickets out of an inbox automaticly, you can set custom notifications either to you or back to your users. You can add custom fields to the tickets, You can assisgn the tickets to other techies.

- Its front end is very clean and ties in with AD so your genrel users won't have anouther account to remember.

- Custom plugins, Spiceworks allows there community members to publisht here own plug ins for it.

- Reports you can run reports on just about anything it records.

- IT Services & Purchases list - A Database for storing all that information that usually gets lost.

bottom line, I Lub it

Thank Post
    Tried Spiceworks but found the free version with all the ads ran very very very slow, apart from that its features are great, but too heavy on the network for daily use in our environment. Have now switched to SysAid. Better product for our requirements and its free!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bertster View Post
    Tried Spiceworks but found the free version with all the ads ran very very very slow, apart from that its features are great, but too heavy on the network for daily use in our environment. Have now switched to SysAid. Better product for our requirements and its free!
    Recent patch fixed the slowness issue (especially with the inventory), as well as adding custom tools, plugins, multiple dashboards etc hence why im only recommending it now...
    Last edited by mossj; 27th March 2009 at 01:19 PM.

Thank Post
    Good news if the recent patches fix the speed / resource issue with Spiceworks, however I'd rather be free of the adverts - which will have an impact on the network.

Thank Post
    The advert is a small 300px by 300px advert in the top right barely Network hogging.... And on top of that only visible to admins...

Also I just had a quick nose at sysaid you can only have 100 users, and 2 admins for free (we have 1800 users and 4 admins). Whilst in Spiceworks your unlimited, the only extra thing you get for paying is the advert removed.
    Last edited by mossj; 27th March 2009 at 02:21 PM.

Thank Post
    Spiceworks is still very slow, despite the updates, especially the inventory which is painfully so

Also it makes IE devour vast amounts of memory on my PC...

Thank Post
    i tried spiceworks the other day after readin another post, it was too slow for me too.

Thank Post
    Isn't SpiceWorks (at least the free version) only recommended for networks with less than 250 PC's?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    Isn't SpiceWorks (at least the free version) only recommended for networks with less than 250 PC's?
    i tried it on the admin network (150ish PC's), still slow.

Thank Post
    Curriculum network 700ish pc's fine and dandy. Don't know what you guys are testing it on.... but it takes a shorter amount of time to load the helpdesk than it does to load google.... here at least. Inventory takes a bit longer but its not used as much.

Running it on a win server 03 box (P3, 512mb), with only intranet stuff running in addition.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mossj View Post
    Curriculum network 700ish pc's fine and dandy. Don't know what you guys are testing it on.... but it takes a shorter amount of time to load the helpdesk than it does to load google.... here at least. Inventory takes a bit longer but its not used as much.

Running it on a win server 03 box (P3, 512mb), with only intranet stuff running in addition.
    I'm starting to get the feeling that you're selling the software for them....

Thank Post

Thumbs up Spiceworks in Virtual Machine

Just setup Spiceworks in a VM and it runs just fine. Perfect for a cash strapped IT Dept!!! Adverts are really not too obtrusive (and only visible to admins). Users get a nice clean portal to submit tickets updates to tickets are instant and the user gets to see them without refreshing screen. For about 150 per year you can have the Adverts replaced by your School logo. Tried various free ones (Web+Center, Sysaid) but think this will do the job for us.

Thank Post
    Just thought I'd bump this as many other people are now using spiceworks and I may just get away without being accused of 'working for them'.

Thank Post
    Using Spiceworks at one school and it runs pretty well. A little slow at first but it was scanning the whole network for the first time so excusable lol

I do have one slight problem with it though and that's to do with scanning. When it does it's scheduled scan it seems to fail to probe and pickup the details of the majority of devices. However when I rescan them manually in the Inventory it works perfectly Will have to play around some more but if anyone's come across that and fixed it, would be much appreciated to know how

Thank Post
    i have to say i always found it slow too but we only used it for inventory etc occasionally so it didnt matter too much. however now ive installed it on a VM and setup helpdesk etc it is super fast so im dead impressed! ive left it scanning over the holidays but when terms starts ill probably slow it down a bit.
    watch this space!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast