+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Recommended Suppliers Thread, New ISP Wanted in Purchasing and Trading; Originally Posted by SpuffMonkey Originally Posted by Ric_ @thom: I definately recommend you follow Tony's advice and speak to Ashok. ...

Thank Post

Re: New ISP Wanted

Quote Originally Posted by SpuffMonkey
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_
    @thom: I definately recommend you follow Tony's advice and speak to Ashok.

You may not realise it but your RBC provide loads of other bits and pieces (which you probably don't care about at the moment) such as access to the NEN (National Education Network) and they have jumped through hoops to fullfill all the Becta accrediation process.
    Yeah - but they're still pretty cr@p tho'. Here (EMBC) I was trying to get a prog from the MS site (not too big - 12Mb) after restarting the download about 50 times after it kept cutting out, I drove home, dl'd it via NTL in less that 30 secs and USB stick'd it back to the office - and for that I pay 12.5k, hmmm, there'd have to be some serious add ons to make that a good buy :?
    We get the same problem with EMBC here at Latimer. I thought it was down to the fact that we can have 400 users over a 2mb/s radio link to EMBC, but if you're having it on 10meg fibre too then it has to be a fault with them!

The new business manager here is possibly going to let us look at a different supplier when our contract expires... here's hoping...!

Thank Post

Im my last school we used Redstone as they then deal with all the filtering in-house saving us time, had no real problems with them.

Gordon.

Thank Post

Shoddy RBC Internet supply seems to be the rule rather than the exception.

Correct me if I'm wrong though - a school can choose which RBC to connect to? For example a school in Manchester could in theory be able to connect to the South West Grid for Learning?

The main problem in my opinion is that the LA tries to make these things over complicated and there are too many commercial suppliers with service level agreements that have no bite.

In addition my understanding is that many RBC's feed off the county network that also services police, fire, nhs etc. So if they are experiencing bandwidth issues - the education network is throttled back in favour of these - hence 2MB out of and 8MB pipe.

And who in their right mind would be working on DNS in the middle of the day?!

Is there any mileage in schools who want to opt out - getting together to approach a range of ISP's to set up a national consortium? That way you will get the same economies of scale, but be able to focus on what matters i.e. raw bandwidth. Firewalls, filters and email IMHO should be a matter of choice not a take it or leave it situation.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,738 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Blog Entries

We wish ... in theory it is possible to buy into any service provider to the NEN ... as ong as they provide the service in your area ... and guess what ... RBCs only provide services in their own areas ... LGfL in London, EMBC in East Mids and so on.

Yes, you can access resources in other areas but not connect via them.

Other options are to go with a Becta accredited provider, do a deal with UKERNA directly or go for a business based deal from someone like NTL (@Ashok ... any news on whether NTL are likely to get accreditation?).

Presently we have a connection via NTL, but that is being phased out in favour of EMBC ... partly due to funds, partly due to collaborative projects .... but partly due to politics within the LA.

We have negotiated pretty much completed control and our proxy/cache goes through EMBC at the moment, with us having complete control ... and we will have the same with email over the next few weeks (gotta wait until half-term to do the last bit).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12